OT: Replacement water heater for home (NSOT??)

In my experience, they spring a leak rather than just stop making hot water. Perhaps that is no longer true, but I do not wait for them to break before replacing them.

If it was a new furnace or a new a/c unit, I can see that would be a selling point. I'm not sure how much people think about water heaters, maybe it's different where you live.

I have a heating a cooling company that I trust in these matters, they installed an AO Smith model a couple of years ago, and it's fine. If you call those Emergency Hot Water companies, you will get something you might not like. YMMV, just my experience.

I hope it's fixed soon. Good luck.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Yep! That is what I have!

Reply to
Ophelia

Yah, they work great...until they don't.

I used to have a tankless. It worked ok but one morning it broke in the middle of my shower.

I was shampooing my hair, soap all over my face and eyes when suddenly the water temp dropped to 55 degrees F. Needless to say, later that same morning I replaced that tankless POS with a good old-fashioned 50 gallon tank style.

Tankless is a very bad idea if you have cold well water. I advise everyone to make sure they are OK taking a cold shower because sooner or later, they'll have to.

Reply to
Dick Hymen

Having experience with both, what can you tell us about the cost of getting both installed? DIY or pro? And what was your experience with the differences in operating cost? Tankless people claim huge savings. I have a hard time seeing how this is possible. As I said earlier, my nat gas bill in summer is under $20. As I see it, the operating cost savings is mostly due to there being no standby losses from the tank. With my operating cost, I'd never make up for the increased cost of the unit, the install cost, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

Why do you have to increase the electric on a gas water heater?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Government regulation.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The one time I did have to replace the WH in my trailer, it was about 20 degrees out, and

16 inches of snow. The leaky WH could not be ignored. I took my rear drive Dodge van to the store to buy another one. Used my snow blower to cut a path to the exterior WH door. Used Makita cordless and long high speed bits to drill holes in the old WH, and allow it to drain. New one went in OK. I used the snow blower to bury the old one in the yard and dealt with it when spring arrived. I was never so pleased for a hot bath after all that work in the cold. Wipe that off your face. .
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lot of advantages to pilot lights. In addition to the convenience of using when the electric is off, the trace of heat from the pilot helps keep the innerds dry. Less rusting out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

I was about to say the same. Mine came with the house in 1995 and was at least 10 years old then.

Reply to
cshenk

I'm not crazy about where that power point is located (below the plumbing). Not a big deal, but still... Units like yours are excellent for quick, cheap hot water.

Reply to
Jeßus

What I'd do .... and probably will do when the time comes... Do some measuring and make some notes than go buy one that fits where the old one will have been. With a little luck you'll have the new one installed in less than an hour and good to go. Not that it matters but I remember when a 40 gal nat. gas was 99.99 and the T&P was another 8 bucks. Ironically Hot Water Heating and storage is rocket science if things go wrong.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

LOL! No worries about a hot, er cold, showers ;-) My folks live very nearby, so I'm able to impose on their facilities (VBG!) while my home is without its water heater 8-) At least I can make do with regard to cleaning dishes, etc. With regard to laundry, it's very rare when hot water is needed.

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Thank you so much for the link. It's very informative and definitely helps with my "homework" and research ;>

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Alas, a tankless, on-demand hot water system is beyond my budget. I thank y'all for the suggestions and recommendations.

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Thanks - grin! Good "service" people/companies are not easy to find :/ Just like very good car mechanics, when one has a valued and honest 'service' person/company, their worth is worth their price!

I've been very fortunate in that I've lived in this home for practically

20-years, along with its antique water heater, so . . . . I'm not surprised it's failed since it's more than likely 30+ years old!

AO Smith has been mentioned quite a few times when I've spoken (by phone) with various plumbing companies. Thankfully, the water heater replacement is not exactly an emergency, and I can take some time to do research and homework to learn what options there are within my budget constraints.

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Thankfully, I have family nearby where shower facilities are readily and conveniently available - whew and WHEW, eh! VBG!

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

That doesn't make sense(?). Would that not be dependent on the new water heater and its specs ?! If I were to go with a tankless unit, then I do believe there's some electricity involved --- however, that's not a route I'll take since it's way beyond my budget.

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Makes sense, however, my home is more than 50-plus years old, so . . . And I will have to sell it at some point, that is, if I don't die first . If/when that's the case, I'll have no worries, eh - LOL :>

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Thank you so much for the link you provided -- it's very helpful!

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Thanks, Sheldon. Yeah, it's a no brainer if there's a no-limit budget! Of course I'd love to have an on-demand, tankless hot water system, but my wallet dictates otherwise! Oh well, perhaps I might win the lottery tonight - vbg :)