OT: Replacement water heater for home (NSOT??)

Page 2 of 8
S Viemeister wrote:

I have gas heat, hot water, and stove. I've never lost gas but during a power outage, my gas furnace won't work (needs a fan to blow the forced air) and it shuts down without electricity. Same thing for my gas hot water heater. Without electricity, it shuts down. Gas stove is the only thing I can use during a power outage.
S Viemeister wrote:

I have gas heat, hot water, and stove. I've never lost gas but during a power outage, my gas furnace won't work (needs a fan to blow the forced air) and it shuts down without electricity. Same thing for my gas hot water heater. Without electricity, it shuts down. Gas stove is the only thing I can use during a power outage.
Gary wrote:

Sorry about all the reposts. My stupid computer said it wasn't sent. Rather than waiting to see if it came up later, I kept trying to resend. I know better too so shame on me.
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 8:51:05 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

I have a brother named Gary and he has similar problems with computers...it must be a curse! 8^)
On 6/5/2016 9:51 AM, Gary wrote:

WWee jjuusstt tthhoouugghhtt yyoouu hhaadd tthhee sshhaakkeess.
------=_Part_0_1121534992.1465166540596 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I don't have a gas line to the house so in a power outage nothing works. The only things I care about though are my freezer and my hairdryer.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
On 6/5/2016 6:42 PM, Cheryl wrote:

During ice storm 2003, I really missed the computer, hair dryer, furnace, microwave, AM radio.
If I had to choose one, would be furnace.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You surprise me. You should have at *least* one year supply of everything to keep you comfortable, fed, watered and safe, Brother Young. Where are your generators and batteries? ;-)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

On 6/6/2016 11:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Batteries were less of an issue. Carbon zinc cells I had on hand went dead promptly. Some alkalines worked nicely. Didn't want to run a genrator, a bit noisy and the trailers are close together. I did run my generator for about an hour, the third or fourth day. Hoping the folks around me would understand. The power did come back the next day.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/05/2016 05:42 PM, Cheryl wrote:

We do sometimes have outages in cold weather, often because on an ice storm. I'm glad to have hot water.
BTW, I have seen a gas tankless heater that got it's electricity from the water flow.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 6/4/2016 12:02 PM, Gary wrote:

Lot of advantages to pilot lights. In addition to the convenience of using when the electric is off, the trace of heat from the pilot helps keep the innerds dry. Less rusting out.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

I was about to say the same. Mine came with the house in 1995 and was at least 10 years old then.

------=_Part_4_1115541856.1465083579447 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Right. Unless it leaked, and that being the reason for replacement, I'd have hot water for at least a couple of days if I conserved.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

His were power vent, in all likelihood - and no standing pilot.
On 6/4/2016 9:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It puzzled me that older units had pilot lights, then mine is a newer model and it also maintained a pilot light ... I guess I am a little confused about the technology not being uniform, usually it seems when it changes, all the models change across the brands.
I'm not expressing my thought too well here. I did get that he has electronic ignition and lost that with the power.
nancy
On 6/4/2016 10:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Combi and tankless water heaters _are_ available in the US, but they are not yet common.
On 6/4/2016 11:28 AM, S Viemeister wrote:

No, they aren't common in the US. But tankless water heaters are becoming more popular all the time.
When we lived in Bangkok the water heaters in the bathrooms were like that. Mounted on the wall, natural gas igniters. Turn on the water in the shower, voila! it's hot. Turn it off, the heater shuts off. That was old technology. Imagine how far it's come since 1970. :)
Jill
------=_Part_0_1119164400.1465087267657 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Another topic we've discussed to death about differences between the US and the UK.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Doesn't work too well with forced air heat

Of course not. We used to have that but changed and this is cheaper and more efficient.
But do you have a large tank of water? This system (for the hot water) heats only what you take.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/