OT Renting a car

Just email me, and I'll post it to this group, and we'll get you out.
Q. What is the best method to spread prison bars using only things that can be taken on airplanes?

mm wrote:

Jet fuel. JP whatever.

I feel better now; I'm sure I can trust you guys.
mm wrote:

You ubderstand that the counter clerks get commissions on the upsells, right?
Thats why the hard sell push/

longshot wrote:

I rent a lot during any given year, and that's never happened to me.
--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave
mm wrote:

It means that, if she has an accident or a mechanical breakdown, she will be charged for the time that the car is being repaired or replaced. Most credit cards cover this as part of their insurance when used to rent a car.

It refers to a topped-off tank. The difference between the half-tank and a full tank. I just fill it up at a gas station near the return point. If you let them fill it, they will charge what *their* gas rate is at the time of return.
--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Hah... If I have a mechanical breakdown, I'm thinking that the rental company should be compensating me, not the other way around.

Unfortunately they don't see it that way. They see it as you broke it.

What! Seriously? If true, I know that is new.

It is true and has been for years. The rental company's position is that they could have rented that car while it's in the shop being repaired, thus you cost them revenue.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

And my position is that I paid them money for the use of a working car, and they failed to provide one.

Somehow two totally different things got mixed together here. If you rent a car and it's damaged in an accident, you are usually responsible for the loss of use of the car to the car company while it's out of action. If you rent a car and it breaks down, then you are not responsible for their loss of use while it's getting repaired. All the major companies will just give you another car.
On 3 May 2007 08:46:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

That would be the "mechanical failure" we were talking about, right. If you smash up the car, your liablility insurance should cover it. Near as I can tell, all the insurance you buy for the rental co. is that, if you don't buy it, they'll hit your credit card for the loss until your insurance. co. coughs up the money, and if you don't, they won't.

No, liability insurance only covers you for damage you do to other cars and property with the one you're driving, not the one you rent. Some policies where you have collision insuance on your own car may cover you for damage loss to a rental car. But if you have only liability insurance, they aren't going to cover you for the rental car loss anymore than they would if you wrecked your own car, which is to say zippo. Also, if you happen to have collision insurance on your own car, which is a 10 year old Dodge, I doubt any insurance policy with collision is gonna pay for a totalled 2006 Caddy.

Massive SNIPS

The other wrinkle here in the multitudinous questions about "What coverage do you already have, and what coverage doy you get if you buy the rip off xtras from the car rental company (see, no hidden agenda, my agenda is right out in the open , BFG>) is what happens if you carry a big umbrella policy in addition too your personal car insurance?
There are as many answers to that as there are folks out there in 51 (fifty states, District of Columbia) jurisdictions renting cars who have personal and umbrella policies. No "one size fits all" answer is correct.
Here's another one -- you work for Almagamatedmegagolith, Inc., and rent on a comany credit card?
Or you work for the feds and are travelling on business for them and rent on one of those Diners Club cards the feds use for travel expenses?
I have one card I use for car rentals when travelin. It has its own "insurance" on it for car rentals, including the phhony "loss of use" claims. The card has a $ 2500 limit. A rental co can ding away all day on that and not get much if anything out of me. (And no, knock wood, I've not had an accident in a rental.)
My other two cards have substantially higher limits. Car companies never get to see them.

What does the credit card limit have to do with the rental company suing you and coming after you for the loss of a $25000 car? It may be harder than just charging your credit card, but it can still be done fairly easily.

Heh. Heh. Heh. Because if the rental company sues, burden of poof on all issues and all items of damage is on th. Proovge to the local jury here in beautiful downtown Portland that the car was out of use and that you, car rental company. had rented out all vehicles at location "X" diuring he time the car was being repaire.
My dscovery request to the laintiff will include all record for all inventor at location"X" and all rental records for all inventory during that tme period. What, company doesn't want to produce? Gee, judge, they sued me, their burden of proof and theu don't want to produce discover? OK, motion t dismiss, and by the way I ant sanctions against rental company for frivilous law suit.
I spent 35 years practicing law. I learned how to do it right. <G>.

Your missing something here. They don't have to rent ALL their cars just that type of car. Remember that when you rent a car you are asked what type you would like. If all of that type of car is rented your screwed, if not you have a good case.

" "

Are you still standing by your claim that they bill for loss of use when the car breaks through no fault of the renter?
Someone else said it doesn't work that way.

I never made that claim