OT - Rental Cars Without Toll Transponders

Exactly. That is why I assume they maintain a "toll by plate" account.

Reply to
gfretwell

Well, it's 7.50, but I take your point. The short answer is that they have your credit card and the contract likely says they can add charges that you incur that you should pay, if they come back to the rental company.

What is the rental fee? Is it D$/day for every day you have the car, or only when you use the transponder?

I'm really unsure why there should be a fee at all. There's very little paperwork (heh, even if it's electronic) involved for the rental company

- the toll people ding the company, the company dings you when you return the car.

If you knew where the transponder was, you could faraday cage it, and then . . . what? I may not have thought this through.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

When I heard that story it was Mexico but I suppose you need to read all of the restrictions. I usually just tell the guy at the counter where I am going (like Canada) to be sure it is OK. Nobody wants their rentacar in Mexico but I have never heard of not leaving the state. The last car I rented at SFO went to nevada and back into a drop at LAX.

Reply to
gfretwell

As I said in an earlier post, Enterprise charges $3.95 per day from the first say you use it. You can opt out, which I did. H

Because they can, but since it comes with an opt out choice, there' son harm, no foul. I also opted out of paying for a full tank of gas at NV prices because "it would cheaper than a full tank at CA prices" since that is where I was dropping the car off. It worked out perfectly. I filled up about an hour from SFO and was not charged anything for gas.

I can't answer that. I assumed that they handed you a physical transponder in a shielded bag. Once you use it, the $3.95 per day begins. That's my guess.

Reply to
DerbyDad03