OT removing sticky residue from windshield

Our state has two stickers on the inside of auto windshields - inspection sticker & license renewal. New ones are put on each year. Using a razor blade scraper takes the old paper off, but sticky residue is left. Seldom do the new stickers go on exactly where the old ones came off, so the sticky area tends to spread.

What would be good to use to remove this sticky residue?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Bpb-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Take your choice.

Reply to
LouB

The simple solution is to move to Connecticut and buy a new car with clean windshield. We no longer have any stickers to apply for either inspection or registration.

If you don't like that idea, try WD-40. Wipe on, let it sit a few, rub off and clean well with a glass cleaner.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Goo Gone or Goof off. They both work great.

You can buy either of them almost anywhere.

Reply to
SBH

That's what I use. Sometimes I use the Goo Gone or whatever that stuff is they sell at the checkout counter at Lowes or HD... it just depends what I can find when I look for it. All of it works well.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

We will have none of that in PA. We have a proud tradition of maintaining bureaucratic standards and must have two stickers affixed to the windshield. That is even though any law enforcement officer can run the plate and or VIN if the plate is missing to determine current ownership, inspection status, insurance status and what the owner ate for breakfast.

Pretty much any solvent. The current joke in PA is that last years batch of stickers have defective glue on them so most of them (including the ones on our vehicles) are half peeled off.

Reply to
George

We also have the inane bureaucratic ritual of requiring that stickers must be affixed on windshields even though all of the information is in the readily accessible government databases.

In PA private garages do the inspections. The neighborhood place we use gives the area a quick wipe with lacquer thinner on a paper towel to clean up the goo.

Reply to
George

"George" wrote

PA inspection is a sad state of affairs, at least when I used to live there. Rip off garages that wanted to sell expensive unneeded repairs. Stations that slapped a sticker on and inspected nothing. (I called it Coffee with Frank). You had to stay there for 20 minutes minimum in case he was being watched. Garages that found the same problem on every car, but you did not complain because they did not check ball joints and such, just took your five bucks for a headlight adjustment. I took three cars in one day to such a shop. None should have legitimate passed, so we happy paid the small surcharge.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Often WD-40 or similar products will remove that adhesive residue. Then follow up with regular glass cleaner to remove any streaking. If that's not effective try nail polish remover or acetone.

Reply to
Larry W

Brake Cleaner will dissolve any glue and wipes clean easily with no residue. ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

"Lick & stick" is the common name for the procedure of getting a sticker without an inspection.

The inspection stations are now monitored by some sort of quasi police force. According to the guy who owns the garage where I go most seem to be retired state police. He won't do lick & stick inspections simply on principle but he is sensible. One of our vehicles has a tiny chip in the arc of the wiper blades and that should be reason to fail.

There is a fairly large garage nearby (8 bay) that lost their inspection license last year because they didn't catch that one character of the VIN listed on the title was different than the VIN on the vehicle. The car was later involved in some illegal activity and this was discovered. Apparently part of the inspection is holding the owners card in one hand and comparing it to the VIN label character by character.

Reply to
George

It's a common name for something else, too. (-: While browsing through messages, I saw the words 'sticky residue' and the phrase 'Lick & Stick' and that sent me to the Urban Dictionary because I've heard that phrase before - but not in connection with inspections.

Learn something new every day.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

you're kidding, right? How'd you manage to miss this *ahem* gem of an earworm?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

"George" wrote

For some number of years I went to Frank's shop. The nice part was you could not see into Frank's shop from the street. You cad to go into the parking lot between brick garages and make a left. As long as your lights worked, you were good to go. Brakes were checked by putting his foot on the pedal while scraping off the old sticker.

I did not mind paying for legitimate inspection on my good cars, but as a teenager, they would not always pass. I also object to the rip off tactics of some garages that found expensive non-problems.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Soft cloth and turpentine? Followed with a window cleaning.

Reply to
Oren

Razor blade scrapers work perfectly for that purpose if used correctly, at about a 30 degree angle from the glass. If the glass is round, scrape in the round direction. And always use a brand new blade. I've never had a problem that way.

Reply to
Twayne

There is no evidence that inspections ever had an impact on safety. There is ample evidence that they are consumer rip-offs and several states have even abandoned them.

Reply to
krw

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Vegetable oil (from bottle) not solid. Apply to cloth and to window. No fumes. Then use windex to clean off the oil.

Reply to
Marina

I'm assuming the sticker is on the inside of the windshield. I would STRONGLY recommend using some of the easier solutions before getting into the strong solvents. All you need to do is spill something harsh on the dashboard, and discolor or, worse, melt the plastic=85

Reply to
Kyle

Spray it with glass cleaner and scrape it with a NEW single edge razor blade.

Reply to
Ron