(OT) - Removing Gasoline Odor?

(This is somewhat off-topic, but I have a lot of respect for the knowledge contained in this newsgroup.)
About a pint of gasoline was spilled in the far back of my station wagon. Odor remains a week later, although I've put hundreds of miles on the car with all windows, including the rear window, open. Any suggestions for getting rid of the odor? Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

This is Turtle
Well time will do it with 60 to 90 days with good venting. I have found nothing to really get rid of it. I have had it twice in my work trucks and time was the only cure.
TURTLE
Dunno if this will do any good. But simple green (spray on), hot water, and scrub brush. Draw it up with a wetvack or upholstery tip for a carpet cleaner.
Just a thought.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Close it up with arm and hammer for a while and that should do it. I like another posters "Febreeze" approach also. But you gotta close it up at night. ARM and HAMMER
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

I've found the smoke from a handfull of burning hay will remove all kinds of odors, even skunk. If you are creative enough you could make a tiny safe smoky fire inside the vehicle. Maybe burning a small candle in a water filled pan and feeding hay into the flame.
Have you tried burning incense?
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

No, and thanks for the idea - both incense and burning hay. Being a city boy, in a big city, I wonder how far I'd have to go into the country find a place where I could buy a handful of hay. :-)
I posted this to 2 other groups, and the best solution so far is a household cleaning product called Fabrese or Febrese or something very similar. I bought a small spray container of it and have sprayed the area 3 times and the smell is decreasing. Of course that might have happened anyway, and at the same rate, but I'm glad it is going away.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Have you tried a handfull of grass or weeds? Anything with stems.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
CWLee wrote:

I spilled 5 gallons in the back of my SUV. I removed the carpet and washed it good several times and it still smelled strong. I bought a couple of boxes of carpet cleaner (scented baking soda) and put under/on top the carpet, left it for a week or so, vacuumed it all out, and the smell was gone.
Bob S.