OT/Remember Net Neutrality

Remember how Net Neutrality wasn't going to raise prices?
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/04/11/remember-how-net-neutrality-wasnt-going-to-raise-prices-yeah-never-mind/?utm_source=hafbp&utm_medium ûpage&utm_campaign=haupdate
Add pictures here
✖
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 6:26:33 PM UTC-4, ChairMan wrote:

This whole net neutrality nonsense was a classic case of libs stepping in to fix problems that didn't exist in a technology business that has performed splendidly for the most part.
The FCC wasn't even going to do anything, until Obama personally called the members and leaned on them. Given how well Obama has performed on all the things he's tasked with, what gives anyone confidence that he even understands broadband issues at all? I especially loved one of the female FCC commissioners conjuring up how net neutrality had to be enforced to save children, so they wouldn't be denied high speed internet to do their homework..... Good grief, what an idiot. Actually, liar is more like it.
What lead to the above boogy man and similar was just some broadband providers thinking about charging content providers that use a lot of their bandwith some service fees. Sounds very consumer friendly to me. I don't stream from Netflix and Amazon, why should my broadband fees have to help cover the infrastructure that's being consumed by those other users? It's very much like cell phone companies, where 5% of the users consume 80% of the bandwith. The cell phone companies figured out ways to deal with that too.
Add pictures here
✖

because the broadband providers happen to be TV providers too.
So they can charge netflix and others so much so no one will have a opportunity to find a competive tv provider:(
Add pictures here
✖

We will not see the real change in the network/cable/satellite business until they unbundle these companies like NBC/Comcast. That is what freed up the telephone and computer business. If cable was like phone, you would buy bandwidth from the cable company and content would come from whomever you want, as much or as little as you want. The FIOS companies are already starting to offer mini packages of closely related shows, so you don't need to buy 250 channels, just to get ESPN2 because it is in the top tier.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

We'll see how that works out. Disney has already said that what Verizon wants to do is against their contract and they will hold V to the contract.
but what they conceal is vital."
✖
On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 8:57:45 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

That's a valid point, *if* it ever started to happen, ie where those companies were charging prices that blocked Netlfix. Nothing I've seen shows that it was though. And if they did, antitrust laws already exist, or they could have passed something to only address that potential, narrow, overcharging problem. What they did instead is to ban charging high bandwith providers anything at all. Which means I'm paying for the infrastructure to support the streaming video customers.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 06:50:45 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I suspect you are going to see data being metered some day or at least a tier system where heavy data users pay more than light users. That solves the problem. With the advances in DVRs you could see tiers about how fast you want "demand" video too. If you actually want a show right now, it could be one price but if you are willing to get it by tomorrow or the next day it could be cheaper because they could send it to you at off peak times and they might even be able to broadcast it to a large number of people at one time. I think the idea that every TV in the country, getting a separate video stream, may be asking too much of the data networks.
Add pictures here
✖