OT: Rand Paul on why cutting unemployment benefits is good for the Tea Party

Page 3 of 3
On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 8:21:20 AM UTC-5, Kurt Ullman wrote:

When you try to make cases that make no sense, that's all you can do, avoid the question. I'd also note that even if one accepted his case, what does it say about unions? In essence, he's saying that unions need endless unemployment to survive? Great case. Good grief!

geez, you guys are dense. Rand says that these skilled workers are essentially unemployable, and there may be a certain amount of truth to that, but why would any company, when the good times happen again and with the DOW hitting 16000 how far away can that be, hire back the more experienced but somewhat out of date employee when they can hire a cheaper non-unionized worker?
sort of like why would they keep pension plans when they can gut them
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:29:30 AM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Economics 101 says that companies would hire the experienced workers because, well they are experienced. That's why Haiti, where you could pay people a few bucks a day, isn't a manufacturing power house. They have no skilled workers. And economics 101 says those same companies will pay experienced workers more, for the jobs that require those skills. But they aren't going to pay some buffoon $100K just because he's a union member, if they can avoid it.
Problem is, you libs have no experience in the real world. I've seen union rules, the stupidity, the loss of productivity, the increased costs they bring. Some examples:
At Bell Labs/Lucent Technology, they had "porters" who were part of a union. If I went into the building with a piece of eqpt on a small hand cart like you'd roll through an airport, I wasn't allowed to move it through the building to where I was going. The Bell Labs employee that I was visiting had to call a porter and we had to wait however long it took for one to show up, because it was part of their union contract that only they could move anything. We all know what finally happened when Lucent caved in to ruin, because they couldn't compete in the real world.
At Hughes Aircraft, I was working nights on radar modules. The work would occasionally require a change of a small component to make an adjustment, after I did a hour or two of testing. Per the union contract, only a union member could do the soldering that required a pencil soldering iron. So, I'd be working nights and I'd have a union member sitting there reading the paper all night, probably earning overtime, on the chance that I might need one thing soldered. Many nights I didn't need anything soldered at all.
Does any of that sound productive to you?

They keep pension plans to attract and keep skilled employees. Good grief. There vast majority of significant private companies have 401K plans. The difference is that in the public sector, the politicians have handed out pension plans to their union buddies that were future liabilities. For the politicians at the time, it was great. Buy votes today and leave the mounting liabilities for someone else to deal with decades later. That strategy is now coming home to roost in states like CA and NJ. A similar strategy is being executed at the national level, with the politicians handing out all kinds of benefits, not funding them, and passing on the $17tril in debt to future generations. And that $17tril is just the on budget portion of the problem.
On 1/2/2014 9:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Huge reason I am against public sector unions. The unions are organized against the employers or us the tax payers yet the politicians pander to them to get votes.
Private sector is generally OK. If they bankrupt the company another company will take their business, whereas if public sector unions bankrupt the government, there is no government to take their place.

politicians pander to money

there is often no government even when there is government
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

True enough. And how much money do you think the major public workers unions have? Good grief. That's the problem. The politicians hand out generous salaries and especially benefits to those unions in return for votes. They can buy votes today with benefits that don't hit the budget for decades. And when they do, you have the state or city in deep trouble or even bankrupt.
Example of this, a police chief still in his 40's qualifies for retirement. So, he retires, collecting his generous retirement pay, calculated mostly on his pay of the last few years, which of course they make sure they max out on. The next day he starts his new job as head of a public law enforcement training facility, DMV, whatever, starting the process all over again. Future taxpayers will wind up paying him two pensions now. Plus with high unemployment, why should anyone be getting a pension from govt and then still be working for govt?

Yet we pay for it anyway and you libs want more of it.

How much money does the NRA have? I don't see anyone here dumping on them and the influence they have on Politics. Ask the same question about the oil companies, the coal companies, the natural gas companies, the farmers lobby, and plenty more.
Good grief. That's the problem. The politicians

I wasn't aware that there are unions that the Police Chief could be a part of. But it's strange that one of the tenets of fundie-mentalists is that CEO's deserve as much money as they can get...don't see why a Police Chief shouldn't be given the same courtesy.
And then there's the military retiree collecting his/her pension who goes out and get's another gov't job at the age of 38, are you against that also?

does the easy pass work in florida?

sun pass

In June of 2012, FL said they were working to make SP compatible with EZP but haven't gotten it done yet.
but what they conceal is vital."
On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:08:20 PM UTC+3, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

That's the conservative party line, isn't it?