OT - RAM bump up

Page 3 of 3

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Perzactly!
TDD

Crap, I forgot to pull the shades again.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

THAT WAS YOU??!!
TDD

The other thing worth doing (and it's free) is to see how many applications are starting up every time you turn the PC on. They all want to use some of your RAM even though you might not need them running every time.
Some common items are Adobe Reader and Microsoft Office. There are others.
Charlie
On 3/7/2010 4:55 PM Charlie spake thus:

Yes. The Windoze Task Manager comes in quite handy here.

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hi, Get rid of all the garbages piled up on the system over time. Keep the registry clean or modifiy it to your needs. Fine tune your system for what you mostly do with your system. 32 bit OS has max addressing for memory at 3 GB. If needed go 64 bit or Linux.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Do not EVER use a "registry cleaner." There is nothing a registry cleaner purports to do that will improve efficiency. For example, the registry is not searched sequentially, so whether it contains 1,000 entries or 3 million is irrelevant. The difference to access the proper key between the two is measured in nanoseconds.
Conversely, use of a registry cleaner can screw up a system beyond repair. Admittedly, so can a manual modification of the registry, but in this latter case you at least know what you did.
Next, a 32-bit system has an addressing capability of about 4 GB, not three (2^32 = 4,294,967,296). Most operating systems snatch some of the RAM for their internals (i.e. video buffers) so the amount of RAM usable by application programs is in the neighborhood of 3.1-3.4 GB.

I was using Eusing Registry Fix, freeware, plus Internet Options Delete Cookies and Files when mine would slow down. My computer geek said the same thing you said, not to mess with the registry. Ever. So, I think my problem was memory and not registry. Still will delete cookies and files, tho.
Steve

CCleaner is an excellent file/cookie sweeper. Don't install any add-ons (unless you want them) like tool bars (that help pay for the freeware). http://www.ccleaner.com /
bob
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:44:52 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

But that is also a registry cleaner. Bub is correct that cleaning the registry is not necessary.
Bottom line: there has never been anyone that can measure or determine any speed/optimized increase after the registry is "cleaned". I stopped using them long ago. Seldom, if ever will I make a manual change.

I learned to not mess with the registry unless you are really really really really experienced with doing so. Did I mention not to mess with your registry unless you were very experienced doing so? That is because it is that important.
Steve
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:50:02 -0800, "Steve B"

XP has regedit and regedt32 exe files. A man has to know his limits.. One does what another won't do :)
Of course one can backup the registry before they start tampering.
On 3/8/2010 3:54 PM Oren spake thus:

I've edited my registry many times, using regedit (which has come with every version of Windows since 3.x). Guess I just like that "bare metal" experience ...
I've never caused any problems doing so. I usually use the registry editor to get rid of some annoying piece of software or other that wants to pop up even after I remove it through the Windoze "remove software" tool *and* delete all its damned files. Seems lots of vendors like to sneak shit into the registry so you'll get bugged at some point or other into reconsidering your rash decision to nuke their software ...

- a Usenet "apology"

You have the "choice" of running the reg. cleaner...it's not the main function of the utility.
David Nebenzahl wrote the following:

The System Configuration Utility is what you want. Start - Run. type - "msconfig" in the run box (no quotes). Click the 'Startup' tab. Click on 'Disable All'. Click 'Close'. Restart computer. After restart, a System Configuration Utility window will pop up. Check the 'Don't show this message........ box, then OK
Don't worry, this will not uninstall any apps, they just won't be automatically started upon a Windows start. Those disabled files will start when you click on a Desktop or Program shortcut, some will even enable themselves when you open the app.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Thin the herd of RAM hogs. This site has been around for years...
Windows Services ~ Includes complete explanations of each service and advice on which services you can safely disable.
* Windows 7 Service Configurations ~ Updated: January 26, 2010 * Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Configurations ~ Updated: October 24, 2009 * Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Service Configurations ~ Updated: January 26, 2010 * Windows XP x64 (64-bit) Service Pack 2 Service Configurations ~ Updated: August 6, 2009 * Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations ~ Updated: August 21, 2009 * Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Service Configurations ~ Updated: February 26, 2009
http://www.blackviper.com /
Choose the look: defaults to black, click white on the left column
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 13:52:19 -0800, Steve B wrote:

But 640KB should be enough for anyone... :-)
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:00:08 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Much the video is transacted on the card. In the oldie days it was different. Remember IRQ? Memory, etc.
These gamers today have figured it out. Many video cards have heat sinks and fans. Always think of thermal heat - the video card will process what one was done by 4 megs of RAM (less).
Newer cards are not so taxing on system RAM. They work independent of each other.