OT - RAM bump up

But that is also a registry cleaner. Bub is correct that cleaning the registry is not necessary.

Bottom line: there has never been anyone that can measure or determine any speed/optimized increase after the registry is "cleaned". I stopped using them long ago. Seldom, if ever will I make a manual change.

Reply to
Oren

"Oren" wrote

I learned to not mess with the registry unless you are really really really really experienced with doing so. Did I mention not to mess with your registry unless you were very experienced doing so? That is because it is that important.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

Crap, I forgot to pull the shades again.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

THAT WAS YOU??!!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

XP has regedit and regedt32 exe files. A man has to know his limits.. One does what another won't do :)

Of course one can backup the registry before they start tampering.

Reply to
Oren

I find it slower than hell and every once in a while it'll just get lost for a few minutes.

Reply to
krw

You are really going to like Firefox much better.

Reply to
zimpzampzormp

On 3/8/2010 3:54 PM Oren spake thus:

I've edited my registry many times, using regedit (which has come with every version of Windows since 3.x). Guess I just like that "bare metal" experience ...

I've never caused any problems doing so. I usually use the registry editor to get rid of some annoying piece of software or other that wants to pop up even after I remove it through the Windoze "remove software" tool *and* delete all its damned files. Seems lots of vendors like to sneak shit into the registry so you'll get bugged at some point or other into reconsidering your rash decision to nuke their software ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

IE6? Is that even still supported?

I use IE6 at work, mostly because of some old legacy intranet stuff that won't run on anything else. (whose brilliant idea was THAT? I don't wanna know.) It's PAINFUL to use compared to Firefox, esp. 3.x

this sounds stupid but the one thing that I love with 3.x compared to

2.x is that now when I open a new "window" (actually a tab) from a tab I already have open, but have other tabs already open in the same window, the new one appears next to its parent, not all the way to the right as it did in 2.x - sometimes it's the little things that really make a big difference.

IE6 didn't even HAVE tabs...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Not on Youtube after the 13th on this month. After 10 years I have to change my browser.

I could not move from IE6, to IE7 or IE8. At least in Win2K Pro. XP might have worked for an IE upgrade. to 7 or 8 ?

Firefox - done me good! Spent an hour installing v.3.6, getting what I needed for the changes.

I feel like I own a new chicken with hen's teeth. Or should I say frog hairs?

Reply to
Oren

You have the "choice" of running the reg. cleaner...it's not the main function of the utility.

Reply to
Bob Villa

No. MS has officially dropped support for the product and many internet sites are ripping out the code that made their sites work with IE6.

Reply to
HeyBub
[snip]

How do you measure the speed of hell? :-)

Reply to
Harry L

So, everyone. Give me the short answers on why Firefox is better than IE8. I'm always interested in a better mouse trap. It brings in a better class of mice.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

IE uses ActiveX, Firefox does not.

Reply to
Bob Villa

XP: I tried IE7 when it first came out..hadalot of conflicts with onboard programs and hadn't added SP3 at that time. Uninstalled and went back to IE6. Got the same POPUP from UTUBE and others recently about IE6 being unsupported soon.

Bit the bullet DL and Installed IE8..painless and I like it..first MS upgrade I've liked.

Reply to
Rudy

Microsoft is the reference. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Much the video is transacted on the card. In the oldie days it was different. Remember IRQ? Memory, etc.

These gamers today have figured it out. Many video cards have heat sinks and fans. Always think of thermal heat - the video card will process what one was done by 4 megs of RAM (less).

Newer cards are not so taxing on system RAM. They work independent of each other.

Reply to
Oren