OT - RAM bump up

Page 1 of 3

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2 GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider this inexpensive easy fix.
Steve

How much RAM did you have to start with?
Jimmie
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:05:07 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

What version of 'Winders'?
Yesterday I finally moved to Firefox, from IE6 :-/
Oren wrote:

Firefox will give your cat warts. If you don't have a cat, you should be okay.
[snip]

"Firefox induced cat warts" can easily be prevented. First, the cat must be spayed or neutered in a town with a name starting with "M" (or "F" if you use marijuana). Also, avoid saying 6-letter words beginning with "C" and ending with "T", or any words derived from one that day.
On 3/7/2010 2:20 PM Oren spake thus:

Ya know, I really like Firefox, certainly over Internet Exploiter/Exploder. Except for one thing: it's slower than dogshit on a lot of things. Much slower than it should be.
I know why this is: because of the nature of distributed, open-source software development, where lots of volunteer programmers each write a little module here and a little module there, there's little or no overall optimization like you'd have if it were a regular commercial product. That's because you have module A which calls module B which calls module C ... which calls module Z, and this happens many many times per second. In a commercial product, a lot of these chains of calls would be linearized so they'd execute faster.
So it's a tradeoff. I'd really love to someday see *fast* versions of both Firefox and Thunderbird, but I'm not holding my breath.

- a Usenet "apology"

How much RAM do you have?
Steve
David Nebenzahl wrote:
<snip>

AMEN! _________
Even *much* less than 64K. Especially if one sacrificed T-states for compactness. The most meaningful assembly program I ever wrote was one in the late 70s to load on demand and dynamically link subroutines to Basic programs on 8 bit computers. It also set up a system of virtual memory. It was only about 10KB and almost half of that was online "help".
--

dadiOH
____________________________

How about. .. "The Apollo computers had less processing power than a cellphone." http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-amp-space/article/2009-06/40-years-later-ten-things-you-didnt-know-about-apollo-ii-moon-landing
The actually flew some of them by hand!
Jim

Are you saying that since M$ owns the entire IE product that they optimize the code and that it's better than Firefox? ;-)

I'd like to see that too. That used to BE Firefox, but it's succumbed to bloat over the years, too. I tried Opera but there are too many sites I frequent where it simply doesn't work.
On 3/7/2010 5:37 PM snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz spake thus:

Well, better as in faster, yeah. But of course subject to the limitations of any M$ product by design (as in brain-damaged in many ways).

- a Usenet "apology"

Yes. IE has been borged into the operating system - it's no longer a separate module - and the optimization gurus have had several goes at it.

I've found Firefox 3.x to be quicker than 2.x, that is supposedly one of the things that they workedon for the new release.
nate

I find it slower than hell and every once in a while it'll just get lost for a few minutes.
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 19:39:44 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
[snip]

How do you measure the speed of hell? :-)

Microsoft is the reference. ;-)
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 16:28:07 -0800, David Nebenzahl

I've had FF one day. Youtube, not supporting IE6 next week (13th) would soon give me warts.
In an hour I went through the jump-roping and now have another free browser. Faster for me...
No warts on my cats (Darby and Wally) or my African dog.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hmmm, I use SeaMonkey configured to my own liking on a Vista Pro 64 bit with 8GB memory. Works just fine.
On 3/7/2010 8:43 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

So? With that much memory I could get any browser to work well. Says nothing.

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hi, I do many other things. DAW, Photo/web editing, programming, etc. Box is Xeon Quad cpu based. I cound use more memory. But when I need them I/ll add more.