OT - RAM bump up

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2 GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider this inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

How much RAM did you have to start with?

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

What version of 'Winders'?

Yesterday I finally moved to Firefox, from IE6 :-/

Reply to
Oren

Firefox will give your cat warts. If you don't have a cat, you should be okay.

Reply to
HeyBub

More RAM is always THE first idea for slow machines (after a malware scan)

Reply to
LouB

Remember this quote?

"Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM. (Bill Gates, 1983)"

A certified MS instructor told me years ago - "Two things Windows loves is more RAM and more hard drive space."

I have 2GB on Win2K and another 2GB ready for when I move to Win7 (64).

Reply to
Oren

I'm sorry, this message is OFF TOPIC. This post has nothing to do with Home Repair. You have been suspended from this newsgroup for a period of 30 days, during which time you can not post to this newsgroup. Any attempt to post to this newsgroup during your suspension period, and/or if you post another off topic post following your 30 day suspension, you will be banned from all newsgroups for a minimum period of five years, but not to exceed twenty five years. The ban period will be decided in a virtual court and the decision of the judge will be posted to the alt.legal newsgroup.

Usenet System Administrator

Reply to
System-Administrator

On 3/7/2010 2:20 PM Oren spake thus:

Ya know, I really like Firefox, certainly over Internet Exploiter/Exploder. Except for one thing: it's slower than dogshit on a lot of things. Much slower than it should be.

I know why this is: because of the nature of distributed, open-source software development, where lots of volunteer programmers each write a little module here and a little module there, there's little or no overall optimization like you'd have if it were a regular commercial product. That's because you have module A which calls module B which calls module C ... which calls module Z, and this happens many many times per second. In a commercial product, a lot of these chains of calls would be linearized so they'd execute faster.

So it's a tradeoff. I'd really love to someday see *fast* versions of both Firefox and Thunderbird, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 3/7/2010 4:15 PM snipped-for-privacy@usenet.com spake thus:

[boom-TISH!]
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The other thing worth doing (and it's free) is to see how many applications are starting up every time you turn the PC on. They all want to use some of your RAM even though you might not need them running every time.

Some common items are Adobe Reader and Microsoft Office. There are others.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

How much RAM did you have to start with?

Jimmie

reply: I went from 512 mb to 2 GB. Internet Explorer 8 right now sets 512 as "Minimum." With all the Flash and stuff, it takes a lot of memory to just open pages. Ebay is one that changed tremendously over the years. If you have anything else open, it is s-l-o-w! I can't believe the difference. $60 is what it cost after $20 rebate. Takes two minutes to change.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Windows XP.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

How much RAM do you have?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I use Comodo and AdAware. They do good.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Buhbye.

Reply to
Steve B

wrote

posting from giganews. Now that's funny!

Reply to
Steve B

On 3/7/2010 4:55 PM Charlie spake thus:

Yes. The Windoze Task Manager comes in quite handy here.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Are you saying that since M$ owns the entire IE product that they optimize the code and that it's better than Firefox? ;-)

I'd like to see that too. That used to BE Firefox, but it's succumbed to bloat over the years, too. I tried Opera but there are too many sites I frequent where it simply doesn't work.

Reply to
krw

On 3/7/2010 5:37 PM snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz spake thus:

Well, better as in faster, yeah. But of course subject to the limitations of any M$ product by design (as in brain-damaged in many ways).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've had FF one day. Youtube, not supporting IE6 next week (13th) would soon give me warts.

In an hour I went through the jump-roping and now have another free browser. Faster for me...

No warts on my cats (Darby and Wally) or my African dog.

Reply to
Oren