OT, raise the head of the injured person

OT This is very OT, but again on the radio I hear something about putting a folded jacket under the head of an accident victim.

Is this really a good idea? Doesn't it drain blood from the brain, when that can be needed? They are also, on tv, often telling people to stay conscious. Doesn't it make it harder to stay conscious when the head is elevated, if there is any internal or external bleeding?

Reply to
mm

I'm not a doctor. Once on my job I instructed one to call 911. They (911) questioned what was wrong. Over the radio I stated CPR was being done. Medics were there in minutes.

The CPR providers were given monetary awards, based on my report.

I do not practice medicine; exposing a breast will get you sued.

-- Oren

Oren

A snake bite in a lower leg: sit the victim up, preventing poison too the heart and brain. Keep contained to the leg/bite area.

ABC's.

-- Oren

Oren

Wasn't there a Darwin Award? One guy goes too save his fellow and is electrocuted from the same downed wire.

-- Oren

Oren

You got sued for exposing your breasts?

I'd probably get sued too, but more for causing unnecessary suffering in the office place for showing my man-boobs.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Finding the keyboard operational mm entered:

I haven't worked as an EMT in a number of years but the rule of thumb was Airway, Breathing, Circulation (ABC) then control profuse bleeding and only move or reposistion the patient if it is necessary to prevent further injury until secondary assesment is done. As someone else points out with the example of getting electrocuted by downed wire, the first rule is Don't Become A Victim Yourself! Bob

--

-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

The Other Funk

I'm no paramedic, but IIRC the warnings about not elevating the head are to prevent aggravating any possible spinal damage, and avoid constricting the airway, before a trained pro can make sure all the fingers and toes still have sensation. Basically, clear the airway if victim isn't breathing, but otherwise discourage them from moving till ambulance gets there. Cover with coats or whatever if it looks like they are getting shocky.

I'm sure somebody with actual training will be along shortly to correct me.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I don't think I've ever heard that before. It answers my question, and one I didn't ask. Although the warnings about not moving people that others have given seem to still apply.

I wonder how many people ever are in the situation to need to know what to do.

Hmmm. What a coincidence. I"m watching Stark right now, and after I started writing this post, someone shoots the judge in the side and someone else immediately puts a foled up jacket under his head, even though there is carpet in the courtroom.

Reply to
mm