OT question about photo websites and private photos

Page 3 of 4
On 8/27/2012 8:31 PM, Meanie wrote:

something. If you host the files on a machine you control you are in possession of those files. If you put them in "the cloud" well who knows?

Correct.
You're obviously not really that interested, otherwise you'd have gone and checked it out yourself by now.
--
Tegger

FTP is *NOT* going by the wayside. Anybody who creates or edits websites uses FTP all the time to transfer files. In fact, HTTP is really FTP via a different port, which is why you can use an FTP client to grab HTTP data.
On 8/28/2012 4:03 AM, David Kaye wrote:

sFTP is one answer.

That's a good option.
On 8/27/2012 8:14 PM, Tegger wrote:

Google Photos/Picasa Web Albums. -----
- gpsman
On 8/27/2012 8:17 PM, gpsman wrote:

would gain that by giving his stuff to google.

Someone already suggested it. Set up your own FTP site. Web.Com does it for me for $12 a month. You can set up a FTP index for each of your clients and password protect it. You also get Email accounts with no limit on attachment size.
On 8/27/2012 6:12 PM, Meanie wrote:

somebody has to do is look at the source code and get the photo that way.
When a photo is marked private, Flickr gives it a unique URL address, but if anyone knows how to get the web address.
Flickr does offer Geofencing but I know nothing about how it works. here is a very quick lesson..
You are better off just using winrar or 7zip as somebody suggested, package the files under a passworded archive and either emailing or having them uploaded/downloaded to a trusted file transfer site.
If you wanna keep any prying eyes off of those photos, don't use any photo sharing website

I know photobucket.com (my choice for free photo site) requires a password for private access to photos on their site but I never verified what you said tho.
If it were me, I'd opt for my own web site. I think you have better control and you can advertise too (if that helps any).

Assuming this is a business and not a hobby, the cost of a USB drive seems absurdly trivial. Akin to the cost of a cardboard box that you'd ship a physical item of any value in.

I have stopped using USB drives or sticks for a variety of reasons I now use (C10) SD cards. They are much faster to upload download than USB sticks http://microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=class+10+sd
8 gb for $6.00 16 gb for $9.00
Plus if it's a business, just include the cost into your price, label them and give a rebate if they return it.

Or, get 100 of them private-labeled with your business name by one of those places that sells promotional items. Then it becomes a frequent reminder for your customers, to come on back and spend more money with you.

1. Put the photos into an encrypted .zip file with a prearranged password.
2. Upload the .zip file to a file share service such as SendSpace.com. They have free and paid accounts, depending on the volume that you need.
3. Email the link to the uploaded .zip file to your clients. They can then download and extract the photos.
I do the above with sensitive tax/financial data all the time and it works well.
Re OT question about photo websites and

I like this idea, unfortunately, if my colleagues want to open a file on their smartphone, they wouldn't be able to unzip them.
One of my main focus is to make it as easy as possible for the other guys to view. If I can eliminate them requiring the need to download anything onto a computer or smartphone, the better. Opening an email or clicking a link is probably the best option.
Meanie wrote:

I've already told you.
Open a free account on fileden.com and upload your shit there.
You'll be given a coded URL for each file that you can e-mail to who-ever you want. They click on the link and they'll be able to download the file.
If the file is a jpg, then when they click the link their browswer should automatically download render the image - no questions asked. They can then use what-ever file-saving options are in their browser to "save as file".
Meanie wrote:

A better solution IMO is to set up a domain name and server just for you. It is not expensive, hosting at JustHost is only $3.75/month for new accounts, one year refundable in advance. They can also set up a domain name (meanie.net for example). You can then create folders - password protected or not - and individual files within those folders, also password protected or not.
In your case, I could see individual folders for individual clients; each client would have their own password and could access all files in their folder at any time. If they were just occasional clients, you could put all files in one folder and password protect the file; you could change the password and send them the new one whenever you wish.
http://www.justhost.com /
Tutorial on password protecting... https://my.justhost.com/cgi/help/474
--

dadiOH
Oren wrote:

Better than Team Viewer is Mikogo. I say better because: 1. Nothing is loaded on the client computer (I don't think that's the case with TV), and 2. Mikogo is free for commercial use.

Someone with a smart phone should try to open a zip file to see what happens.