OT question about photo websites and private photos

Page 2 of 4

Well since he uses the terms "they" and "them" through his description of the process, how do you know there isn't more than one person involved? Clairvoyant? Also, unless the OP is doing it for free, which he did not say and which seems unlikely, I'd say he is dealing with a customer, even if it happens to be a friend.
To help clarify, they and them are other private investigators who I work with. They are mostly out in the field collecting their surveillance then brinking the video and/or photos back to me for editing. Then I return the finished tasks to them, usually on DVD disk for videos and the same can be for photos, but I also email some photos as well. As cases increase, the need for a quick turn around is required along with larger batches of photos and thus, emailing is not much of an otpion without sending 50 emails of two photos each and sending a disk via mail and/or picking up can't always be accomplished in a timely manner.
Once again, security is an utmost concern due to these being legal cases.
On 8/28/2012 11:50 AM, gpsman wrote:

Hardly. You can imagine all sorts of happiness Once you upload them and loose control who knows?
A similar story. Friend had their business website which was used for ecommerce at a hosting site. They moved on to another hosting company. A mega hosting company bought their original hosting company and one day all of a sudden anyone going to their site saw a three year old website. Turns out the new megacompany mindlessly loaded old backups for some reason and restored lots of sites including updating DNS records.

Its just basic security practice.

Why? If you had a secure system the files could be available as needed. If you cheepout and go with "OK, I just uploaded them to an unknown site and it is 10AM. I will delete them at 11..."

Not really, if you want something that is reasonable to use and has actual definable security it would cost something.

Non sequitur. Uploading ≠ loss of control.

Appeal to probability.

Right. It does not seem unreasonable to assume highly confidential files will be adequately attended.

Irrelevant. Overlooking your undefined "secure system" the files seem too sensitive to remain available to electronic interception.

Straw man. "Unknown site".
It could go like this, if the parties are not the morons you seem to assume: "Call me when the Smith file is ready. I will download, delete it, check it, then call you to confirm you can delete your copy."

Non sequitur. HTTPS is actual definable security, is effortless to use, and it costs Google users nothing. -----
- gpsman
On 8/28/2012 10:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Uploading them to an unknown site violates the most basic security ideas because the most basic rule is you need to keep control.
And I totally agree with your thoughts.

Yeah, gps has his weenie in the wringer. He bought into just using a URL as a sufficient security measure. Then he went on to do everything he could to assume one thing after another to try to claim that for surveillance videos security isn't much of a deal. Among other ridiculous reasons, he claimed they usually are just some people walking around. So, no big deal. Really. Maybe the ones from the 7-11, but when you have someone actually taking them for you, then delivering them to you to look at, then I think it's a big leap to make assumptions as to what the videos and photos contain. This despite the OP having clearly stated in the original post that:
"For obvious reasons again, it's imperative they don't fall onto the eyes of others and thus, they would be the only one to gain access. I use Flickr but haven't checked to see if that's possible, but I'm also very concerned about photos on a website period, being seen by others and overall, apprehensive to even put them up there. "
Now that the OP has reaffirmed his legitimate concern for security, that more than one other party is involved, etc. instead of fessing up, gps goes on the attack, against me and the OP.
Nice, real nice
On Monday, August 27, 2012 3:30:54 PM UTC-7, Home Guy wrote:

http://www.mangle.ca /
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com double-spaced:

Is mangle.ca supposed to have some sort of significance to what I posted above?

Use Winrar and make one file with all the photos. You can even password the set.
CDs cost a single stamp to mail and about a dime apiece. I used to send a disk to my nephew once a month. I just printed his name and my return address on a single sheet of paper and used it for the envelope.

I should add, it needs to be easy for the receiving end to open and view. They are not very computer literate. How exactly does Winrar work?
As I also stated, there are many times when the photos need to get to the attorney ASAP and snail mail doesn't cut it.

Forget Winrar or any other compression program because they don't compress photos! Photos are already compressed. Use an FTP site.
David Kaye wrote:

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on the file type.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

What normal photo file type yields a significantly reduced file size when compressed?
HeyBub wrote:

"Normal" depends, I suppose but bmp, ppm, raw, tgi and tif all compress a lot. Maybe others too, don't know. Not jpg or gif though.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Winrar's web site: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm Download and install Winrar and you can just right click on a directory full of photos. It will create a single file with all the photos.
The person on the other end (with Winrar installed) can just right click on the winrar you just emailed and it will extract the folder to a directory.
Windows 7 has built in code to make a zip file (same thing really) so you don't need to download anything. Since I have Winrar installed, I think it replaces Windows built in Zip version.
If you have Windows 7, try to highlight a group of photos and right click. Windows may allow you to make a Zip file.
As mentioned before, neither Winrar or Zip format will make the total size any smaller, it just makes one single file to email.

Try this: www.yousendit.com
It's sort of like an FTP service, but using your browser. You can send 500MB this way, if you want. Works really well.
--
Tegger

Looks interesting. Some ISPs have a small attachment limit. If this is the case and I send a large attachment file(s), will they still receive it and if so, any special requirements from the receiving end such as going to a website or can they simply check email the normal way and view?

Attachment limits are for MAIL. YouSendIt works through your BROWSER. It completely bypasses the usual SMTP limits. The maximum size of the files you can send depends on the type of account you have with YouSendIt, not with your ISP.
When you log in to YouSendIt, you get a different screen from what you saw just now. When you send a file via YouSendIt, you specify a recipient email address. The file itself is uploaded to YouSendIt's server. The recipient is then sent an email telling him that you have uploaded a file to YouSendIt, and is given a link to click. That link takes him to the Web page where he clicks the Download button, then he is given the normal "Save File" dialog box that he's surely used to seeing.
We have a few large clients who use YouSendIt because their IT security has closed their FTP ports; otherwise we could just send them files via our FTP site. We often transfer large graphic files, and YouSendIt is perfect for that.
Mind you, you do need to pay for this service for large files, so if you're looking for a freebie site, then sorry, I haven't got one.
--
Tegger

Email was never designed for binary attachments such as photos and sound. Best to get an FTP site and give the address to the recipient to enter into their browser address bar. Instead of http://www.example.com it would be ftp://ftp.example.com/yourname or something like that. Or if this happens enough with the same recipient, you could get them a copy of Winscp or another ftp client.

FTP is going by the wayside. With the price of data transfer and storage falling, this sort of thing is moving to the Web, with such sites as YouSendIt.
YouSendIt makes it falling-off-a-log easy for both the sender and the recipient. Great service. Highly recommend.
--
Tegger

Secure? No others will be able to view it unless I send a link, password or otherwise?