OT...Putting holes in a belt

Oh pshaw, on Sun 26 Nov 2006 07:44:10p, Jamie meant to say...

I've kept one of these leather punches around for years. Good for many things where you need to cut a hole rather than drill it.

Wayne Boatwright

How does one put additional holes in a belt neatly? I have a belt that I don't want to grow back into, and I don't want to ruin it, because I had to work overtime to afford it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jamie

To do it properly, you must buy a special punch at a leather supply store. To do it cheaply, you can buy a leather punch that will punch just a round hole instead of an oval one that usually comes with a new belt.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It depends on the belt, but I have used a pin punch and a block of wood successfully.

Reply to
CJT

Mark the spot where you want the hole. Take it to a shoemaker (if you can find one) or any leather crafter. There are punches made just for that work, but it would probably be faster and easier to have it done. I've also drilled the hoes but they don't loon as nice as punched.

Congratulations on the weight loss. Not easy to do.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There is a leather punch -- available in most hardware stores -- that punches holes of various sizes. Good tool to have around, as you can use it to punch holes for leather rivits (repair of handbags, etc.). Pick the right size (6 on mine) to match the holes you have, and put it the same distance as the current ones are apart. I find that leather belts tend to stretch over time, so have regularly added a couple of holes.

Reply to
professorpaul

Same here. A _sharp_ drill bit and a belt stretched tight on a block of wood doesn't work badly. Then after being worn a couple times you really can't tell the difference.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Leather punch.

Reply to
Phisherman

I suppose the edges can get ragged?

Reply to
sam

Use two blocks of wood and clamp the belt between them. Before clamping, mark the spot on the belt and drill a pilot hole in one block so you can align with the belt mark. With the clamped sandwich and a sharp bit you get a good clean hole.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Just be sure that no other guy is wearing the belt when you punch it, or you may end up getting belted.

Reply to
maradcliff

I've had good luck with a brad-point drill bit and a wood backer block. The brads score the edges and leave a clean hole.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Reply to
mike.a.rea

A drill or a nail work fine.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It's EZ if you need a .22 diameter hole ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

.22 pistol?

Reply to
JP

And the pistol is also a remote "lights out" device. Just shoot the bulbs.

Reply to
Sam E