OT -- pure gas

Nascar is hopping on the E15 wagon next season:

Keith S.

52 yrs. in eastern kansas. Not the coldest spot on the planet, but we do go below zero now and then. I've never had a fuel related issue with a gasoline engine in the winter.
Reply to
Steve Barker

Actually it is the opposite. We will be inundated by sea water and a lot of fresh water supplies will be gone.

Reply to
gfretwell

"but it's a dry cold"

Reply to
clare

Hell Toupee wrote in news:iaruue$gq6$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Ethanol-less fuel in Iowa is typical 10¢-15¢ HIGHER than ethanol blended fuel. Blended has been subsidized and available for nearly 25 years here. At first it was only 2¢ -3¢ cheaper now much more. After communting 120 miles/day for years, and carefully monitoring my mpg, I say the 'winter formula' with 'enhanced cold weather starting properties' did more to hurt mpg than anything else. Every fall mileage would drop until spring.

Reply to
Steve.IA

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:i724d6duqgr3g5c6m68nlbph9m6udug26g@

4ax.com:

Actually the Ogalalla aquifer supplies irrigation water for only a small part of corn harvest. Most corn is grown in other than the high plains, in places where costly irrigation is not needed. I'm not arguing the decline of the OA. Just where it is located, where corn is grown and their connectivity.

Reply to
Steve.IA

Give him a break, it has only been what 35 years since catalytic converters were fitted on cars to meet newer emissions requirements...

Reply to
George

Not to mention at least in my state the final subsidy that ethanol gets is that it is exempt from road use taxes.

Reply to
George

Even if the fuel formulation did not change, winter driving in Iowa will burn more gas than summer driving. As it does in Ontario - particularly if there is any short distance driving involved. The intake air temperature sensor has a pretty high control over fuel mixture, as does the coolant temp sensor. Cold tires have a higher rolling resistance (they are stiffer) and cold gear oils etc also take more power.

Reply to
clare

Which aquifer is NOT being depleted?

Reply to
gfretwell

Brazil is draining the wetlands and burning the rain forest to make ethanol. That doesn't sound very ecologically sound to me. Florida is buying out the sugar farmers here and restoring the wetlands.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's cheaper than ethanol-blended gas in northeastern Iowa - Postville, Decorah, McGregor - that area. At least it is every time I buy it.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:

Tires are only stiffer until they are moving, then friction and flexing warms them up. Remember nylon ply tires? They thumped on the flat spots for the first few thousand feet until they heated up.

Reply to
willshak

Hi, Ethanol production is pure politics. Gas is cheaper often than a bottle of water. We don't gron corn as food, it is an industrial raw material.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Growing up in Indiana, I don't recall ever seeing corn irrigated. Other crops, sure, including with those giant walking sprinklers, but never corn.

Reply to
aemeijers

Farmers get about 20% of the amount consumers pay at the store. A breakdown here: >

More info here: >
It's commonly accepted among the farmers I know that ethanol processing doesn't affect the feed value of corn. The leftovers (distillers grains) make good feed. I don't know if the accepted wisdom is dead accurate though. There used to be charts online of various foods comparing prices farmers received with what consumers paid. I couldn't find any of those offhand this time. The closest I could come was this link to the National Farmers Union >
under the headline Farmer's Share is a link to a PDF showing consumer cost vs. farmer income. I didn't know how to post that here directly.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

And that took DECADES of pressure from environmental groups and just plain people who wanted the Everglades back.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Gron, what is "gron", is it something like "grok"? :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It was the alien reptile people who have infiltrated humanity. They want The Everglades to use as a nursery for their young. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

FWLIW, most of the walking sprinklers in Indiana are for the turf (or lawn) farms.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman