OT -- pure gas

Actually it is the opposite. We will be inundated by sea water and a lot of fresh water supplies will be gone.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

Actually the Ogalalla aquifer supplies irrigation water for only a small part of corn harvest. Most corn is grown in other than the high plains, in places where costly irrigation is not needed. I'm not arguing the decline of the OA. Just where it is located, where corn is grown and their connectivity.
--
Steve
southiowa

Which aquifer is NOT being depleted?

Growing up in Indiana, I don't recall ever seeing corn irrigated. Other crops, sure, including with those giant walking sprinklers, but never corn.
--
aem sends...

FWLIW, most of the walking sprinklers in Indiana are for the turf (or lawn) farms.
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:59:38 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Brazil is draining the wetlands and burning the rain forest to make ethanol. That doesn't sound very ecologically sound to me. Florida is buying out the sugar farmers here and restoring the wetlands.
On Nov 4, 10:51am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And that took DECADES of pressure from environmental groups and just plain people who wanted the Everglades back.
On 11/4/2010 10:00 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

It was the alien reptile people who have infiltrated humanity. They want The Everglades to use as a nursery for their young. 8-)
TDD

It does. If you remove the agricultural subsidies the American farmer gets to produce corn, and the subsidies given to the ethanol producers for producing the ethanol, gasoline is less expensive (before taxation) than booze alchohol (even made from unsubsidized, imported cane sugar) before taxes.
On 11/3/2010 9:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not to mention at least in my state the final subsidy that ethanol gets is that it is exempt from road use taxes.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, Ethanol production is pure politics. Gas is cheaper often than a bottle of water. We don't gron corn as food, it is an industrial raw material.
On 11/4/2010 6:26 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Gron, what is "gron", is it something like "grok"? :-)
TDD

Which means you are buying the ethanol, even if you are not putting it in your tank (and even if you do not own or drive a vehicle)

I would interpret the point of requiring ethanol in gasoline differently, the major purpose is to provide a demand for corn and subsidize agricultural interests (Thank republicans for that). It does not reduce dependency on oil, some studies show that producing this ethanol actually results in a net INCREASE of oil used in the processing and transportation of the product. (Which makes perfect sense, considering the lack of lobbying against ethanol by oil interests.)
There are some technical benefits to adding ethanol to gasoline but they would be present even if the concentration was only a percent or 2.

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Thank both parties. The vote on the farm bill in early '08 that continued the tariffs and the subsidies was approved by the Senate by a veto-proof margin of 81-15. The bill was approved by the House with an equally strong 318-106 majority.
In fact, GW threatened to veto it until the vote made it beside the point.
I get a kick out people making these Big Statements w/o looking at the actual votes. Most of really bad ones (this one, repeal of Glass Steagal, changes in the commodity futures trading laws, etc.) were passed by large bipartisan majorities.
On 11/3/2010 6:19 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Exactly, I can never understand why so many people willingly get into the bizzare useless battle "its the Republicans", "no, its the Democrats" when the reality is *BOTH* sides are equally involved with the proof being the tally of the actual votes which anyone can verify.

The pork barrel knows no political limits. The feed trough does not discriminate- one hog is as good as the next at feeding time.
On 11/3/2010 2:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

None around here. The whole ethanol thing is a fraud foisted on us by big Ag businesses. They even have high import duty on ethanol to keep out cheaper stuff from Brazil.

corn you eat as niblets or corn on the cob. They eat "field corn", milled into corn flour and corn meal - as does a very large percentage of the people of low income countries around the world. The majority of sub-sahara Africa subsists on "field corn" - those that do not subsist on Manioc, a starchy root crop from which tapioca is also made. That same corn is used to provide corn starch, used as a feedstock for plastics and other insustry, as well as foodstuffs, and corn syrup/corn sugar used as a sweetener in a very large percentage of foods on the world's food shelves.
A study several years ago noted that corn was present, in one form or another, in something like 85% of products on north american shelves - food and non-food alike.
And you can't buy "flex fuel". In some parts of North america (and even other parts of the world) you can buy E85 - which is 15% gasoline and 85% hooch.
On 11/3/2010 2:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Nascar is hopping on the E15 wagon next season:
http://www.biofueldaily.com/reports/Sunoco_To_Supply_NASCAR_With_Ethanol_Blended_Race_Fuel_999.html