OT Property taxes

Page 2 of 7
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 3:18:20 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

The point here is you're accusing him of breaking a promise, while from what I can see, he never make the absolute promise to decrease property taxes to begin with and for the next two years, the budgets he's submitted do provide for a tax decrease.
In belched:

+1
On 04/20/2015 02:03 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Here is Walker's promise
http://fox6now.com/2014/12/17/gov-scott-walker-touts-property-tax-cut-around-state/
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 3:20:07 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

"MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Gov. Scott Walker says he's working to further reduce property taxes and will unveil details of a major proposal in his budget."
He said he's "working to further reduce property taxes". He didn't "promise" that he would be successful, which is what you've implied. At the same time, the budget he just submitted calls for property tax reductions in the next two years. I'd say he's met the campaign promise.
On 4/20/2015 12:39 PM, philo wrote:

Mine are going up over 10% in a state under complete Democrat control, DE.
Not the governors fault but the local school district that increased taxes, but us seniors in DE get a $500 deduction that the Dem governor wants to do away with.

In fairness, most real estate taxes are local government issues, not state issues.

Just longing for the good old days when my tax bill was small enough to pay all at once.
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 5:07:28 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

I'm paying 12K on a 3100 sq ft house. Feel better now?
On 04/20/2015 05:09 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Nah, I don't need a house that large
it's just me and my wife. If I had more room I'd just store more junk.
Making real good progress in getting rid of it though.
On 4/20/2015 6:09 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Ouch! No complaints about my $2600 bill for 2200 ft.
philo wrote:

by 1% so I feel lucky. You said your tax increased by 5%. What was the change in your valuation?
On 04/20/2015 05:20 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

Value of the house went up about 10K
It's been a long time since the taxes here have gone up...just found it so typical that they have gone up at a time when the Gov is telling us he's working to bring them down.
In wrote:

If he can fulfill his "promise" and either freeze the current rate or lowers it and your house continues to appreciate and in turn raise your taxes, are you still going to complain? Or are you going to appreciate that you now have much more equity in your home with a stable or fair tax rate?
On 04/20/2015 07:36 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Not a complaint exactly, my house is worth 6x what I paid for it but of course that was 35 years ago and I've done a ton of work on it

"Just got a letter from the city of Milwaukee and I see that the property taxes on my house are going up yet again. Looks like about 5%.
The Gov. Walker certainly did not keep his campaign promise of lower taxes...the increase is no better/ no worse than under Democratic governors. Were the increase going to help maintain the educational systems within the state I could deal with it.
The news is telling me that funding is being cut for education and a BILLION dollar sports arena is in the works"
Pretty much sounds like a complaint to me
On 04/21/2015 12:59 AM, ChairMan wrote:

So, are you complaining about that?
On 4/20/2015 8:13 PM, philo wrote:

Here the governor has no say in town taxes, as it should be. I can't imagine how he would reduce taxes controlled by the town board of finance.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Depends. In Indiana for instance, the local government sets the rate but the State okays and has some very specific requirements and it is state law that property taxes can't go up more than a set amount every year. It is a local tax in name only.
but what they conceal is vital."

+1 That is the truth. The local (smaller) entities usually have a better handle on this because they may know the people. Even in our little burg one of the stupidvisors wanted a golf course. He got it and we pay. He takes a lot of heat for this and will soon be voted out.
You think you own your house? Don't pay your taxes for three years and you'll see how much you own.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

50 years don't go as far as they used to. Inflation, you know.