OT Property taxes

Page 1 of 7
Just got a letter from the city of Milwaukee and I see that the property taxes on my house are going up yet again. Looks like about 5%.
The Gov. Walker certainly did not keep his campaign promise of lower taxes...the increase is no better/ no worse than under Democratic governors. Were the increase going to help maintain the educational systems within the state I could deal with it.
The news is telling me that funding is being /cut/ for education and a BILLION dollar sports arena is in the works.
Nothing against sports of course, but the sports arena is to replace one that was built in 1988 and had a projected life span of 50 years.
On 4/20/2015 12:39 PM, philo wrote:

In our state the State government and the governor have nothing to do with property taxes. The rate is set by the town and all money goes tot he town.
Since your letter is from the City of Milwaukee, shouldn't your bitch be with the mayor?

Of course, the town may actually have to raise the rate to cover a reduction in other monies granted to the town/township/county by the state and/or feds.
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 1:34:18 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Yes, without knowing what changed, it's impossible to identify whether the source is local, state, and maybe even feds. It also depends what those taxes are already. Some places, with low taxes, a 5% increase wouldn't be as bad in the overall picture as it would someplace else, that relies on high property taxes.
On 4/20/15 1:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

According to http://city.milwaukee.gov/FrequentlyAskedQuest1999.htm#FAQ8_Q1
his City tax bill pays for Milwaukee's school system, no money goes to the State ( except some Forestry fund)
On 04/20/2015 12:41 PM, Retired wrote:

Yep
and it we had a good school system I'd be all for it... except the school system is being gutted.
On 04/20/2015 12:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes....It's just that the governor made a promise he had no business making in the first place, that is one of the reasons he got into office.
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 1:43:26 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

From a recent Wisconsin newspaper:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/politics/2015/02/03/walkers- budget-cuts-property-taxes-uw-funding/22816803/
Highlights of Walker's state budget proposal
TAXES: Property taxes on the median-valued $151,000 home would remain about the same, dropping $5 this year and $5 next year, at a cost of $280 millio n. There are no changes to sales or income taxes.
And from what he campaigned on over a year ago:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/scott-walker-promises-property-t ax-and-income-tax-withholding-cuts-b99184867z1-240319931.html
Scott Walker promises property tax cut, lower income tax withholding
Madison -- The state is projected to take in hundreds of millions of dollar s more than expected in tax collections through June 2015, prompting Gov. S cott Walker to propose cutting taxes for the third time in less than a year .
Walker said his plan -- to be spelled out Jan. 22 in his "state of the stat e" address -- will include a property tax cut and a decrease in how much is withheld in income taxes from workers' pay throughout the year. The withho lding changes would mean that Wisconsin residents would see more money in e ach paycheck upfront rather than in their spring income tax refunds."
So, I don't know what happened in the year just ended, but it looks like what Walker is submitting as a proposed budget actually has a tax decrease over the next two years. And note that the headline from a year ago that says "Scott Walker promises .." is the newspaper headline. In the article, I don't see Walker saying he promises it, only that he proposes doing it. He isn't a dictator and still has the legislature to deal with, no? I'd actually be surprised where Walker outright promised a property tax decrease, but if you can show us, I'd be happy to look at it.
On 04/20/2015 01:10 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I don't recall seeing his promise in writing, just hearing it from all those who voted for him.
In belched:

Hearsay will not hold up in court. Much like those who voted for obammy thinking he was going to pay all their bills. My understanding was that Walker would no longer collect dues for the teachers unions, something the government shouldn't be doing, and allowing the teachers to pay it themselves, which they(most) declined to do. So how is that gutting the education system?

I wasn't aware of this. Do you have a citation to the evidence that there were any voters who thought the president was going to pay all their bills?
--
Okay, yes -- I have met the occasional person who has decided that his/her
moral position is so impeccable that it justifies rudeness, hostility,
In writes:

take your pick

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+obama+supporters+say+he%27ll+pay+their+bills

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=disillusioned+obama+supporters

As someone we all knew once said, "There you go again"... using facts to piss off the libs. I bet he actually believed you couldn't find any evidence.
In writes:

I guess not, because all I hear are crickets

Your you-tube (you know that's not a reliable source, right?) link showed one lady who said that. A swallow doesn't make a summer. You're proof enough that there are fools in this country.

How is not reliable? It's actual news clips from the media itself. It may have shown only one, but much like cockroaches, if you see one, there are thousands you don't see. Search for yourself and you'll find plenty more, but if I posted a hundred links to videos, I believe you still wouldn't believe it
On 4/20/2015 1:24 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

LOL, what makes you think that any of the stuff that the Tea-Baggers blame Obama for is true? None of the scandals that they manufactured gained any traction either.
sms posted for all of us...

How can it when there is no unbiased media to report the facts rather than ignore or express their opinion.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 2:55:27 PM UTC-4, philo wrote: .
It's interesting that we just went from this:
"Yes....It's just that the governor made a promise he had no business making in the first place, that is one of the reasons he got into office.
To this:
" I don't recall seeing his promise in writing, just hearing it from all those who voted for him."
I wouldn't say he even had to make a promise to cut taxes in writing, verbally would be enough. It's just that I doubt he would have actually made such an absolute promise, as opposed to saying that he would "be in favor of, propose, submit a plan to cut taxes, etc". A governor can only do so much.
On 04/20/2015 02:13 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Nothing to do with a Gov. but we all know politicians make promises they cannot keep.