OT: proofreading is important even when you post to usenet

Page 3 of 3
On 02/18/2012 08:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Something reminds me of Daylight Stupid Time. This ridiculous messing with clocks and claiming to have more time.
[snip]

Speak for yourself. I have hundreds of hours of daylight in my savings account.

Shame on you. You have NOT been saving hard enough By now you should be in the tens of thousand.
Ancient quote, attributed to Amercan Indians: "Only white man think cut off one end of blanket, an sew it on other end and make blanket longer."
I think the concept was so people could go and come from work during daylight.
On 02/18/2012 08:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Something reminds me of Daylight Stupid Time. This ridiculous messing with clocks and claiming to have more time.
[snip]
As a rule, white people are stupid.
Ancient quote, attributed to Amercan Indians: "Only white man think cut off one end of blanket, an sew it on other end and make blanket longer." I think the concept was so people could go and come from work during daylight. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
On 02/18/2012 08:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: "I cut the board three times, and it's still too short!" Something reminds me of Daylight Stupid Time. This ridiculous messing with clocks and claiming to have more time. [snip]
On 02/19/2012 02:34 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I heard about that in school, and think about it every time I hear of DST.

Couldn't they find a better way than playing mind games with people? Consider that IT'S THE SAME TIME, whether your government tells you to call it 7AM or 8AM.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 2/20/2012 10:37 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

A farmer in the State of Maine once remarked about DST, "The cows still know what time it is." ^_^
TDD

Maybe to the unemployed (unemployable) it's the same.

The ridiculous thing here is the strawman. I rather like DST, even more so when I lived further North. I only wish it were doubled.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:45:10 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Your employer is the controlling factor. If you don't have to be at work at a particular time, you just shift your time up an hour or two. I'd rather live at the western end of the time zone to get the daylight later, but that is not in the picture.

...and media, and wife's employer, and businesses, and...

Same here. That's why I'd go for a double-DST or DST all year with a double in the summer. That's the purpose of DST, after all.
I'm straddling a time zone now. My house is at the far Eastern edge of the time zone (~15 miles from the line) and I'm now working, and living during the week, across the line. It's nice to have a zero commute home on Friday evening but getting up at 4:00AM to make it into work on Monday morning isn't any fun.
On 02/19/2012 03:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I remember some plan to double DST in alternate time zones, and eliminate it in the time zones in between. That makes timekeeping much simpler everywhere.
Of course, it also does away with the twice-yearly excuse to set your clocks.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

...and change smoke detector batteries. ;-)

Who ever claimed that DST gives you "more time"?
I have never heard anyone make that claim.
On 02/19/2012 03:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A lot of people do (or at least SAY they do). They say thinks like "more time in the morning". They also seem to be saying that time itself is affected.
Of course there is a personal time effect. More time is used dealing with this mess.
BTW, having DST in effect all year is really the same as doing away with DST. I don't really care which way it's simplified.

Sort of, but not exactly. DST shifts the sunrise/sunset an hour forward. What it really does is make the morning darker and the evening light longer. Many of us prefer that in summer so we can enjoy the light time after work.
If you work at night, don't work at all, live in the western end of your time zone, you will care less about it than the rest of us.
I think that is's so easy to make simple ty- pos, but that with careful proof reading, i- t's possible to deliver a perfect email, or usenut newsgruop pots.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus