OT: proofreading is important even when you post to usenet

Page 1 of 3
Proofreading is a dying art, wouldn't you say? Man Kills Self Before Shooting Wife and Daughter This one I caught in the SGV Tribune the other day and called the Editorial Room and asked who wrote this. It took two or three readings before the editor realized that what he was reading was impossible!!! They put in a correction the next day.

It seems to me that good writing is a dying art, compounded by Twitter and similar fads. The urge to be hip has resulted all too often in obfuscation of the intended message. And this spills over into the spoken message, as seen/heard when our politicians of both parties are forced to waste time and effort sanitizing messy messages. The educators are phasing out cursive writing, perhaps they have already dumbed down cohesive writing. Sad.
Joe
I was listening to Christian radio, last night. The fellow on the show repeatedly said "and they said, quote, unquote,......." and did this, repeatedly. He apparently doesn't know what quote means, nor does he know what unquote means.
He ran on for a while about sheep in wolves clothing, among the flock. Guess he doesn't know his Bible, either. I got out of that sermon, quote, unquote, nothing.
Proofreading is a dying art, wouldn't you say? Man Kills Self Before Shooting Wife and Daughter This one I caught in the SGV Tribune the other day and called the Editorial Room and asked who wrote this. It took two or three readings before the editor realized that what he was reading was impossible!!! They put in a correction the next day.
Nice center post!
I know it's common to say, but doesn't make it correct.
wrote: I thought I would top-post...because you know nothing about what is proper etiquette anyway.
It is fairly common to write/say "quote/unquote"...rather than, "quote, 'I wash my hands of this', unquote".
As far the sheep and wolf..."foot in mouth disease"!

On the

contrary. If it's

commonly said, it becomes correct by

convention.
--
Dan Espen

Try that on your English teacher "it becomes correct by common usage". You'd get your knuckles rapped.

convention.
--
Dan Espen

Oh that bastard?
I remember him, a big SOB with a fancy suit and a William Buckley accident.
Kavanagh.
His favorite trick was to go ballistic if he saw someone chewing gum.
After he was done one day, I asked him in front of everybody how he could call chewing gum a dirty habit when he had a pack of cigarettes in his coat pocket.
Teachers don't hit students in public school.
He wasn't upset anyway.

--
Dan Espen

Oh that bastard?
I remember him, a big SOB with a fancy suit and a William Buckley accent.
Kavanagh.
His favorite trick was to go ballistic if he saw someone chewing gum.
After he was done one day, I asked him in front of everybody how he could call chewing gum a dirty habit when he had a pack of cigarettes in his coat pocket.
Teachers don't hit students in public school.

--
Dan Espen

How can a person "Unquote" someone. I think what is meant is, END-Quote'. Bob-tx

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 05:12:28 -0600, "Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

True, but I've heard the "quote - unquote" term used hundreds of times. Often, it is accompanied by finger gestures of quote marks.
I have, also. And, usually, used improperly.
It's rather dificult to explain to people that they have just delivered an empty set.
True, but I've heard the "quote - unquote" term used hundreds of times. Often, it is accompanied by finger gestures of quote marks.
On Feb 18, 7:10am, "Stormin Mormon"
I believe you received an "empty set"! B^p

Yeah, and I got nothing to show for it.
On Feb 18, 7:10 am, "Stormin Mormon"
I believe you received an "empty set"! B^p

On 2/18/2012 9:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote: Yeah, and I got nothing to show for it.
On Feb 18, 7:10 am, "Stormin Mormon"
I believe you received an "empty set"! B^p
LOL
It's rather dificult to explain to people that they have just delivered an empty set.
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org

I always say that since I don't get paid to post, I'm not going to put a lot of effort into it ;)
I'd put zero kredens into your post, since you cint spell kredens rite.
My view is that five years from now, someone looking on google groups won't know how quickly you zipped off the reply. That said, I make my share of spelling airs.
All we see is a poorly written post and form opinions on the content based on the quality of the post.
If I say that 44% of mails lose most of there hare by age 62, how much credence are you going to put into my statement?
If I don't put the effort into making sure it's a quality post, I can't get upset if readers don't listen to what I have to say. (Not that they do, anyway.)
On Feb 17, 6:50 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

We won't wait five years to point out how ignorant you are.
I should let you do this on your own, but I'll do your work for you.
cre·dence/ˈkrēdns/ Noun:
Acceptance of something as true: "psychoanalysis finds little credence among laymen". The likelihood of being true; plausibility: "being called upon as an expert lends credence to one's opinions".
Don't be insulted...
ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/ Adjective:
Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy" (or spelling)
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 18:50:44 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I spell perfectly. But I can't type fer' shit. I bet I'm in the majority of older people. NOT true for younger people (they can't spell, discriminate between homologues or synonymns, &tc.)
That and uncareful use of spellcheckers make for grief.
-Zz

The use and basic understanding of grammar, punctuation, spelling and capitalization are on the way out. I blame the Internet and lazy kids, teachers, and parents.
Compare the following:
"I'm going to help my uncle, Jack, off his horse."
"I'm going to help my uncle jack off his horse."
(I think that may have come from a poster in this group; acknowledgments given). -Zz

So which of those are you going to help your uncle do?
-C-