Ot: Press CLEAR at gas stations?

Page 1 of 2
Amici, I tried to check this out on Snopes but didn't find.
A friend sent me a warning that when using the credit machine at gas pump, one needs to press CLEAR before and after pumping gas. The contention is that if your credit card number is not "cleared", the attendant (or whoever) can use your credit card number stored in the machine to pump their own gas.
This is a new one on me,; thought it worth looking into.
Anyone have info/opinion on validity?
TIA
HB

try this http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/clearbutton.asp
Charlie

Thank you! I don't know why I couldn't find it on Snopes; I input various key words. Oh, well. Now will have to eat **** with several correspondents. Sigh!

Thank you! I don't know why I couldn't find it on Snopes; I input various key words. Oh, well. Now will have to eat **** with several correspondents. Sigh!
I couldn't find it on Snopes either. I found it by using a Google search.
Charlie
On 3/14/2011 5:23 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

LMAO
--
Steve Barker
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:23:44 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

I use the Clear button on the pumps at the gas station to clearn the codes from my car's Engine Control Computer, and to stop the Check Engline light. I like it.

I use it to clean both the windshield and my eyeglasses.

I thought the Clear button makes the pump dispense gasoline that doesn't have than nasty pee-like yellow tint.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:14:01 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

That's true at the stations that sell white gasoline, cider gasoline, and wine gasoline.

I couldn't say whether there are a few defective pumps around that might allow this, but on a couple of occasions, I' have pumped gas, replaced the nozzle and then realized the the tank wasn't full, then tried to finish filling it and it wouldn't work. Most pumps at least close the transaction when you put the nozzle back. (If they're quick, they could probably get a free car wash at some stations though.)

Oops, that is if you take off without answering the questions...
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:42:59 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel

Why don't they ask those questions at the start, so you can answer them while the tank is filling?
I think there is some selfish motive for their doing that, but don't know what it is.
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:23:44 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Just hold a very powerful magnet next to the card reader. All data is wiped clean. You can buy 5lb and larger magnets from places like American Science Center. Or an alternative method is to fire a high power rifle or pistol into the card slot. Works everytime.....

Who'd you hear that from? Bachmann or Ventura?
I thought that the CLEAR button was to request permission for clearance to leave the fuel pump.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On 3/15/2011 6:08 PM, Larry W wrote:

Lordy. It is to clear whatever you just fat-fingered and punched in wrong, like on a calculator.
--
aem sends...

Now you're just talking nonsense. After investigating more fully I discovered that the Clear button is supposed to be pressed after you have managed to put yourself out after setting yourself on fire while dispensing gas. That way other people know it's safe to resume pumping gas. It's a courtesy button and not required by law.
On 3/15/2011 5:08 PM, Larry W wrote:

Or you're about to restart its heart. :-)
TDD
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:00:07 -0500, The Daring Dufas

It does both. To do yours, you have to yell CLEAR! while you push the button.

On 3/15/2011 10:45 PM, mm wrote:

The cops should stat yelling that before they Tase somebody. ^_^
TDD