OT: Presidential address on the economy

Page 2 of 2

So you are advocating to give every new administration total carte blanche to overhaul every agency? No? I didn't think so. Every administration sets its own priorities (with or against Congress). There was enough prior noise about the bureau of mining (whatever) and its coziness with the oil gas and coal industries.
--
Best regards
Han

Every president, to a greater or lesser extent depending the agency's set up and the president, overhauls every agency. That is why they put their people in administrative positions like Secretary of Something, etc. IF an agency is in as bad as shape as they are (now) saying that one was, yeah. Indeed, as you mentioned there was enough prior noise that the Obama administration should have either gone in and cleaned it out, or not tried to push it all on the last administration. There comes a time when an administration HAS to take responsibility for things they had a chance to change and (to use your words) chose not to.

Totally agree. But, everyone has to choose the battles they want to fight. This administration has done good things, and an amazing number of idiotic things as well. (to be sure you know where I stand - I think that a universal health insurance program is just fine. BUTTTT, it should just cover basic and mostly preventive insurance, and one should be able to choose added coverage as per individual choice)
--
Best regards
Han

It was the state and localities that denied the permission to the helper agencies. FEMA has only statutory authority to assist, advise, and pay for services during disasters. They can't come in and take over things. That was part of the problem that made things worse in NOLA, although only marginally since neither the Feds, state or local dudes should have been let outside w/o adult supervision (as shown by how quickly things began to shape when the adults (ie the military) got there. You will note that in areas outside LA, the government agencies worked together much better.

Blame the government for everything - but cash those nice fat FEMA checks! Gov. Perry's presidential campaign will soon be answering a lot of questions about Perry's "denounce the Feds with one hand but take their money with the other" strategy. It's fair to say that just about everybody, including the CinC, tells only the story they think voters want to hear. In some respects that's like asking a four-year-old to design family menu for the week. They only know what they like, not what's good for them.
We have a number of national bad feedback loops in operation that need some "EndIF" commands.
Is Headstart one of them? Maybe.
Is our obsession with the instant numbers on Wall St. healthy? No.
Has Wall St. switched from being mostly a capital raising market to one where "flash traders" and overnight loans dominate and defecate on the financial landscape? Yes.
Making big money on Wall St. has transformed from one that built capital overall to one where capital is shaved off repeatedly by people with no real intent on job or capital building. They are parasitic and anyone who's ever had one of the many serious human parasites will recognize the signs in our weak, sluggish economy.
Now if only FEMA had the guts to say you get X percent to rebuild but X + a significant bonus to relocate to a less dangerous area. And any place that has to be rebuilt is instead condemned by eminent domain as a dangerous area. That would piss off a lot of people living in seaside or riverbank mansions that you and most everyone else underwrite via our insurance premiums and taxes. But they're usually wealthy enough to fight off eminent domain and common sense. Public parkland gets flooded? So what?
The problem is that everyone wants to live close to nature. The Aussies have terrible forest fire castastrophes, we have hurricanes. But they still move further and further out into forests of oily eucalyptus trees that burn like napalm when dry (very often) as we build more at the shore. The population growth rate at the shore is greater than the rate of improvements to hurricane weather forecasting.
The big problem is with everyone wanting to live near nature is that nature gets angry at times. Very angry.
-- Bobby G.

I wasn't aware of a moratorium...
according to this:
http://tinyurl.com/43auv5x
there is no moratorium, it was lifted a long time ago.
As of Feb this year there was a backlog of permits but still quite a bit of activity in the Gulf.
The backlog may be at least partially due to inspectors doing their job. This article says the permitting bureau is actively looking for inspectors:
http://tinyurl.com/3l5uf54
I'm not clear on why we should be approving any deep water permits. As I remember, the blow out preventer did not work and the design was considered defective. Shouldn't a more fool proof method of stopping a leak be developed before drilling more wells?
Anyway, all these off topic discussions are pointlessly political. Looks like the government needs to spend some money to hire inspectors. Nope, that would make the government bigger. And on, and on...
--
Dan Espen

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:01:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Yea, and they dont belong on alt.home.repair. There are hundreds of political newsgroups for this....
On 9/1/2011 9:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Or for the board of Boeing to grow a set and tell the feds they are opening the plant in SC on schedule, and dare them to do anything about it. I think SCOTUS, and the court of public opinion, will come down on Boeing's side.
--
aem sends...

I think Congress is going to slap the NLRB next week.

He can invite himself, just as I can invite myself over for dinner tomorrow night. What's cookin'? ...in fact, that's exactly what he did.

Yep. Dumbama and his staff of wizards look rather foolish again, eh? ...and then he wants to preempt football. Great move Dimbama!

What elementary school to you attend?

You want references for next year? Sorry.

What elementary school to you attend you poo poo head.

Your best logic yet! ...but points taken off for multiple (stupid) postings. You might be ready for kindergarten by next year. Might.

Damned computer froze up during the upload of the message so I didn't think the first try went through. No matter, it was worth repeating.
What happened to your baby talk? Did that become too embarrassing to the teabaggers?
-C-
On 9/2/2011 6:55 PM, Country wrote:

Do you even know what a "teabagger" is? I doubt there are many of them in The Teabag Party but they could be anywhere. Most teabaggers are Democrats anyway. ^_^
TDD
On 9/1/2011 2:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Preempt football? That's probably the only thing BeeHO could do that would cause some crazy person to attempt an assassination. Me? I don't care about football. ^_^
TDD
AND YOUR HOME REPAIR QUESTIOIN IS? NOTE THE NAME OF THISE NG IS NOT "ot" LAZY ASS!
On 9/6/2011 12:16 PM, Twayne wrote:

Write about a lazy ass? You don't even bother to indicate who you are addressing your post to, now that's lazy. ^_^
TDD

I also thought it was sorta cute that Pres tried (at the last minute) to bully his way into the Joint Session on the exact same day and hour that a big GOP debate was going to occur. Apparently trying to remove the spotlight from people talking about what they feel you did wrong isn't playing politics but staying with the requirements of the law and the SS is.