OT Postage

Page 1 of 2
Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39 stamp and two 2 stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox tonight and change it.
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:05:05 -0500, against all advice, something

http:\\\\www.usps.gov
--

Real men don\'t text.

Thanks.
I was there before, but I was hit with information overload.
I tried again and found the price to be 41 I hope. :)

For this reason I would go to the PO and get a bunch of the "Forever" stamps. You pay current rates, but they are good "forever" no matter what happens in the future. Would make a concern about current rates a non-issue.

Yes someone finally had a good idea. A few years ago, here in Canada also, we had a situation where every time one stocked up on a few stamps at the current rate, the rates were within a few months, increased.
So that meant running back to the PO and getting a bunch of one cent stamps to add postage! Must'a cost them more to print and stock those one-centers than the slight loss of revenue?
So now, yes, we have stamps that have no denomination on them. Good idea. And i asked one postal clerk if they could be used 'any time' even if rates go up (I guess they'll never go down?) and she said "Yes".
Along same lines the 'Change of address cards' previously provided by Canada Post were mailed free. This was appreciated when Canada Post itself made a wholesale change of our postal box numbers some years ago.
But getting another bunch of those cards recently just to have on hand and also redirect the occasional item that still arrives, although the family has been 'out of the nest' now for many years, found that now one has to put a postage stamp on them. Ah well! Still got some of the pre-paid ones on hand!
Also tend to agree a lot of these web sites tend to provide too much info; sometimes one eventually finds the information one is looking for by clicking on a link on the extreme edge of the third window opened. When one would have thought, for example, "How much" or 'Postal Rates' would be one of the first things required!

yea they put "see postal rates" bottom left of the first page (but they keep moving the damn thing)
this will save you about 4 clicks-
http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm
beware of the new envelope size thing that will bump you at least 50 cents if you mail flat 8.5 x 11 pages! fold them to fit a 6 x 9 envelope. also if the weight is 3.5 oz or higher, you get hit with the surcharge. we send mostly postcards and buy postcard rate stamps, then add 1 2 5 and 10 cent stamps to make the 42/59/76 rate for 1/2/3 oz envelopes.
In article

I did just that. They are NOT available in a roll of 100 but come in books of 20.
--
:)
JR

Businesses and other volume users tend to use coils. Buying a bag full of booklets are harder to manage. While a business could buy lots of books, they probably wouldn't.
metspitzer wrote:

It is 42 cents.
Lou

I've gotten the postage rate from that site, but it shouldn't be nearly that difficult to get the one little piece of information people need so much.
BTW, I never had any 39 stamps. I had too many 37 ones and used 2 stamps with them.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

It's .42 now and going up to .44 I think in May

Will the PO check my FICO score?
Hold me at gun point and I may mail something out, needing a stamp.

I hear you, but in a small business, it's pretty much unavoidable. If it goes much higher though, it'll be cheaper to hand deliver all the local stuff

Pony Express, would be an option.
I cannot recall the use of my last stamped envelope. Maybe the bride spent nearly a half dollar?
I'm trying to avoid spending. To damn much money.

-snip-
Talk about expensive! Pony express rates ran from $2 to $10 an ounce. http://www.rfrajola.com/pony/page1_1.htm
That page also says that in 1861 US postage was 10cents- which adjusted for inflation is about $2.30.
It isn't perfect but the USPS is one of the biggest bargains out there.
We're 10cents under most of the world including Canada & Europe- http://www.atms.ch/rates /
Jim

Agreed. I still find it amazing that I can mail something and, in a couple or three days, it'll arrive at the other end of the country for a mere 42-cents.
--
:)
JR

Depends on where you are sending it. It took almost a month for three letters to get from NJ and IN to the Florida Keys. Two things never arrived and even a priority mail package took 10 days. But that may be more of a indication you are in the Keys than the USPS in general (g) .

I heard May 11. You could buy some "forever" stamps before then.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
metspitzer wrote:

Kind of clumsy site but tells it all:
http://postcalc.usps.gov/default.aspx

Only buy "Forever" stamps. They can be used without additional postage when stamp rates rise. The USPostal service website has all the rates, just look.