OT, Possum repellant?

Page 1 of 2
Wife WAS excited about the first good sized tomato ripening then one morning recently it was gone. Possums have been seen in the neighborhood, So. Calif. Coast, and we've spotted piles of feces and presumed possum. Repellants for ants are suggested so I thought this might bring someting helpful.

I bought a device called "Critter Getter". You mount it on a stake facing the garden & it detects infa-red from critters & sets off an audible alarm with strobe lights. It will scare off the pests. Do a "Google" search for it. I've had mine for 4 years & it's kept the deer & rabbits out of my garden.
[snip quote]

Search is easier if it's spelled right: "Critter Gitter" :-). ^ Doesn't the noise and lights bother you or your neighbors, specially at night?
--
Luke
Search found it but it's discontinued. Will try red pepper flakes. Vines are about 4' tall and are staked.

[snip bottom quote]
Critter Gitter seems to be available here: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/unique-9/crittergitter.html
My Google search turned up a couple other sources, too, some the same price, some more expensive.
The plants are too big now for a tomato cage, I suppose, but I wonder if staking around the plants and making a cage of chicken wire, or finer like mechanics wire, would keep possums off. Sorry, but my only experience with a possum was trying to get one out of the garage late one night. Nasty thing.
--
Luke

If the branches rest on fine wire, they may get sliced as they rub back & forth. Not that it matters - most tomato plants are so robust by this time of the season that they'd probably withstand a napalm attack. Losing a few branches won't matter much.
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:59:17 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

[snippage]
Yes, also don't put the "cage" too close, keep branches off the wire by tying them up/back. Tomato plants can be tough, but they wouldn't survive even a small napalm drop, with or without Agent Orange. Ask a Vietnamese :-).
--
Luke
I had invasion problems with Possoms AND Coons....Kept biting the heads off my baby kittens, damn their nocturnal souls.
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:02:59 -0700, Shaman683 wrote:

You can take a big healthy dump four times in that short of a time span? What the fuck are you eating?
Linux Registered User #327951
12ga?
:D

MrC1 wrote:

20 is all that's needed... :)

Great, but in most 1/8 acre neighborhoods, the neighbors and cops get a little twitchy when you fire a real gun. They're right, too. I'd love to, but I hear jail cells really suck. And there's no beer there.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Bubba's in jail Kanter. Just waiting to service you. Use a 45. It's louder and will get the p.d. there quicker.
fetch boy.

Welcome, executive wanker.

Are the plants too large at this point to attach to a vertical support? That achieves a number of goals, including keeping the fruit away from small beasts.

http://www.critterridders.com/scarecrow.htm
http://havahart.com/nuisance/critters/critters_opossums.asp
You could also buy some red pepper flakes and sprinkle them on the perimeter of your garden plot. A snoot full of red pepper will chase off almost any critter except birds.
John
Red pepper flakes in the Gazanias in the parking strip didn't have ANY effect on roaming dogs.
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:59:27 GMT, "John] "

I've gardening for 30 yrs and I've not seen the hot pepper trick fail. In my experience you have to sprinkle in onto a wet surface for it to stick and be present for the quadraped nocturnal snackers. You don't have to do all of your tomatoes - you will lose a few more until they het the hot ones but once they get a little flavor of 'ole Mexico you won't have any trouble unless a new guy moves onto the block. There is also a pelletized repellant that I have bought a the garden supply store - I'd check Wally World too - it's pretty revolting to the point of making my stomach twitch. Now that I live where everyone usese their firearms to protect the garden I only use the pepper on occassion. Happy Seasonings!!

What sorts of animals are the firearms used on?

17 cal works wonders...lol