OT - Porta-Jump

A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it possibly work as advertised?
http://www.porta-jump.com/
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/14/10 12:12 pm, JawBone wrote:

I have my doubts about this thing. Yes, a 30-volt battery should be able to put some charge back into your standard 12v batter. But it's being connected to the cigarette-lighter socket, so the 30 volts is getting applied to much of the vehicle's other electrical equipment as well; how well will those other devices survive that excessive voltage?
Perce
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 14, 11:12 am, "JawBone" <Chewintherag.com> wrote:

I don't know if it would work or not, but I'll bet your money would be better spent on a conventional booster pack. Those have gotten expensive when I wasn't looking though, I think I gave around $20 for the last one I bought. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Add pictures here
✖
✖
On Dec 14, 11:12 am, "JawBone" <Chewintherag.com> wrote:

Out on the left coast where it comes from, it may work the once or twice you need it, but in the rest of the country where winter weather is brutal on batteries, it is likely a hopeless toy. As always, the laws of physics are unrelenting.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
JawBone wrote:

I'd rather opt for a set of good jumper cables and a charged up cell phone to call a buddy with if no one else is nearby and willing to help.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On Dec 14, 11:12 am, "JawBone" <Chewintherag.com> wrote:

They say it wont work in real cold like a car battery- lead acid. Its Alkaline, I did not know alkalines were rechargable, ive always read to not recharge alkalines and that they cant get back to 100%. I believe you cant get more that 60% back into it. 30v, might have a bad effect on your electronics. I would not waste money on it.
Add pictures here
✖