(OT) Police car headlights

Page 2 of 2
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

From operating and training on EV use, no lights or sirens are bright or loud enough. Some NYC f/f's have hearing problems from the siren mounted on the front bumper.
--
Tekkie

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

It's called traffic preemption. There is a acknowledgment sent back to the EV that the signal is giving them the green.

The gov't critters must have a BIL in the strobe light business. Censored
--
Tekkie

Per Tekkie®:

Seems like one of those things that sounds good in a sales presentation, but may not work so well in practice.
The EMS driver is relying on oncoming traffic to heed a red light that suddenly appears with no yellow light, no warning whatsoever... just "Blink !" and it's red.... and, in the case I witnessed, the EMS driver is even proceeded through the light *before* it turned green for him.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

The signals cycle through yellow to red. I wasn't there but EMS units are req'd to stop at red lights. Gotta get there to help, even on the hot calls .
--
Tekkie

Per Tekkie®:

This unit did not stop and the light did not change until they had passed through it. Period.... Couldn't see the lights on the other side, so I do not know if they cycled through yellow - but the change seemed improbably rapid for the conventional Green-Yellow-Red cycle around here - that is what prompted my speculation as to what traffic coming into that green light was to do when it flicked to red so rapidly - with or without some token yellow.
As a frequent bike rider, I suspect I see more apparently-unsafe activity than most people driving motor vehicles around here do.... and I will try to look more closely/carefully next time I see an EMS unit coming my way into a red light.
--
Pete Cresswell

Several years ago, in a small local town, I pulled up to a red light and sat there for over 10 minutes waiting for it to change to green. I intended to turn left. It was late at night with no traffic. But I knew if I went thru it, there would probably be some cop waiting to pull me over. I finally backed up, got in the right lane, made a legal right turn on red, drove a few blocks up the road, turned around in a parking lot, and proceeded to go in my intended direction.
The next day I called the police station and told them the problem. I was told that the town's electrician has tried to fix it but it appears the problem is underground and since it's winter, they can not dig it up until Spring. I suggested they turn those lights into flashing lights, or just shut them off and put stop signs on the posts until spring, or at least put some sort of sign that says "This light is broken". I was told to just treat them like a stop sign, come to a stop, check for traffic, and proceed to go when it's safe.
I said OK, but what do I do if I get pulled over for running a red light. He said that they are not pulling people over at that light as long as people stop and check for traffic before going. I explained that I did not live in that town and did not know what I should do. He said sorry, we will fix it as soon as weather allows. He said they have gotten a lot of calls about that light. I replied "I bet you have".
That Spring they did dig up near those lights and got them working properly. Until then, I did what they told me to do.
I wonder how many other non-residents sat at that light cussing for 10 minutes or more??? I know that in a big city, this would have been attended to quickly, even if it meant replacing them with stop signs until the repair was completed.....
Oren posted for all of us...

Oren, again, right on.
--
Tekkie

Per Oren:

Here's something form what *seems* like a credible source - which seems to downplay the utility of lights/sirens on EMS vehicles: http://www.emmco.org/Documents/Siren%20abstract.pdf
A few clips:
"There is an over reliance on the ambulance sirens to alert drivers of other vehicles to the presence of emergency vehicles. As a result, collisions occur every day with tragic outcomes. "
"A Department of Transportation report concluded that sirens will never become an effective warning device."
"The use of lights and sirens while transporting a patient has come under scrutiny many times over the years. While this seems to still be a come practice in the year 2010, many studies have shown that this is of little value in the patient’s outcome. Most of the research that has been completed on this issue dates back to the mid to late 1990s."
--
Pete Cresswell

Oren posted for all of us...

+1000 He's probably one of the ones that doesn't pull over.
--
Tekkie

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc posted for all of us...

Why didn't you flag he or she down? A few taps on the horn would have sufficed. Maybe they have too much equipment in the back and their headlights need adjustment. Did you get the car #? Call the chief and discuss it with him. WE can't help you, only you can help yourself...
--
Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

The cow wants to be milked...
--
Tekkie

There was a Facebook item about someone being stopped, and complained about bright light from police car. Policeman was not polite. Forget the outcome.
Greg