(OT) Police car headlights

Page 1 of 2
Last night I was driving down a rural road and was in no hurry. A car pulls up behind me and his headlights are absolutely blinding me in my mirrors. This car is keeping a reasonable distance behind me, but those lights are extremely annoying. I began to wonder if he had his brights turned on.
I flipped the rear view mirror to the "night" setting, but my side view door mirrors can not be adjusted without rolling down the window, and since it's a hassle to readjust them, and it was cold last night, I was not going to open the window and adjust it, which still leaves the right mirror on the passenger side.
Anyhow, the headlights on this car behind me were much worse than most. I finally grabbed a piece of paper and held it against the side window to block the mirror, thus causing me to steer with one hand.
I finally got to a stop sign where I had to turn, and saw that car was turning the same way as me. So I immediately pulled over to the shoulder to let that car pass me. SURPRISE.... It was a sheriffs car!
What kind of lights are they using? Whatever they use, they are dangerously blinding for other drivers. This is not the first time I've had a vehicle behind me that has extremely bright lights that blind me, and it's turned out to be a police vehicle....
Police or not, those lights are too frikkin bright!
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Better-than-even chance he had his brights on , attempting to induce you to do something he could cite you for . Had a Utah HP prick (no other word would do in this case) ride my ass with brights back a few (decades) , I decided more speed was in order . Lights came on as I passed 80 ... but he screwed up , I was out of the jurisdiction of the JP he was colluding with .
--
Snag

Yep, I still think his brights were on. But rather than speed up, I slowed down, hoping he would pass me. I had been doing 50 in a 55 zone, and I slowed down to around 40. Of course I did not know it was a cop until he passed me. I would have pulled over sooner, but I knew that stop sign was not far ahead.
Terry Coombs posted for all of us...

Still could have cited you. Law of "Hot Pursuit" and fleeing and evading.
Gee how much time would it cost to just pull over and let the car pass? You have something to hide? That's what crack dealers do when they see a cop car they speed up and make infractions so they bring attention to themselves.
--
Tekkie

Tekkie? wrote:

Well , this happened 40 years ago when I was young and full of testosterone . And driving a '66 Impala SS396 ... how was I to know it was a cop ?
--
Snag

On 11/29/2015 4:34 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

My thought is the same.
Cop in an unmarked van came up behind my wife and was tailgating her so she sped up to increase the distance to find out it was a cop and get a speeding ticket.
She was too embarrassed to tell me and paid it. Had I known, I would have fought it.
Some cops, like thieves, are often lazy and look for easy ways to make money.
On 11/30/2015 6:17 PM, Frank wrote:

And sometimes they're riding your bumper while they're using a plate reader or calling in the plate number to see if there are any open warrants or other reasons to make a stop. Once you've checked out okay, they usually back off.

bumper. As they came over a rizehe could tell it was the cruiser, so when they hame over the next rise he swerved slighly then nailed the brakes. The cop locked up all 4 and left the road. When my brother went back "to see how he was doing" the cop cursed at him and asked what the X$%LL he was doing, and all my brother said was "you didn't see the big dog??? I just missed him."
On 12/1/2015 9:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Priceless. Thanks for sharing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You are correct. They have become too bright, esp at night. Don't know how the lights are set up these days but when I used to spec light bars the good ones included an option to automatically dim them at night. I don't know if anyone uses that option anymore. The police aren't known for their consideration of others and in fact in some situations they want to blind you so you can't see them.

Funny this was mentioned, becuse last week there was a local "holiday parade". They had the usual fire trucks and ambulances. When they went past me, I noticed the red and yellow LED lights on those vehicles were almost blinding.
Oren posted for all of us...

But he has RIGHTS!
--
Tekkie

On 11/29/2015 8:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

LED headlights on cars are considerably whiter and thus appear much brighter than conventional headlamps. It can be annoying, but I assume the light output is still legal - it just *looks* too bright. Even painfully bright.
Plus, an awful lot of vehicles have one or both headlights misaligned, which can add to the aggravation for oncoming drivers.

One can only assume that you were blinded by their flashlights when you were being arrested. How inconsiderate of them. Tsk, tsk.
Gordon Shumway posted for all of us...

Good one! Now the flashlights have a strobe function on them-to disorient knuckleheads. Evidentially it's working on some of the posters...
--
Tekkie

They will show up just fine with an ambient light sensor that dims them at night.
Per Oren:

None of that addresses the issues raised - and I agree that they are both too bright and too loud around here and have become their own hazard.
Also around here, the driving of those vehicles also seems to have become more hazardous..... admittedly just anecdotal observation, but I've seen responders go around a blind turn against a red light (risking certain death for whoever would have been unlucky enough to be in that head-on crash).... and observed the same 2 vehicles a few blocks later pulled over with the occupants doing nothing more than directing traffic.
Just today I witnessed an ambulance blow two red lights on a main thoroughfare.... no siren in this case, no lights.... just relying on some new system they have in place that turns the light suddenly green for the emergency vehicle - only fly in the ointment was the lights did not turn green until *after* the vehicle had blown through them.
And now we have school buses with white strobe lights on the roof. These things are yellow and as big as a small house.... no problem seeing *that*..... but there is something about a strobe light that forces people's eyes to flick over to it - sort of a involuntary reflex....not what I would call a good thing when drivers (already plenty aware of the school bus) have to be looking for other moving objects.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 11/29/2015 8:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

While you have that opinion, many people still don't see or hear them. Most cars come with good sound systems and many people play them loudly. What would you suggest to overcome it other than be louder?

Evidently you see a lot more emergency vehicles than I do. Maybe one a month? I don't care how bright and loud they are as long as it works.

Per Ed Pawlowski:

First off, I would suggest that the operate more carefully.
Secondly - and I grant that this does not help any - I would observe that, for me, at least, the sound from most emergency sirens and horns comes across as non-directional. i.e. I know something is going on, but cannot determine where the sound is coming from.
Maybe this is the argument for louder and louder sounds - accepting the fact that people cannot locate the source, but trying to make as many people aware and, therefore, looking as possible.
OTOH, maybe beyond a certain volume, sound perceived from within a closed car becomes non-directional.... I wouldn't bet a paycheck on it, but I suspect that I can locate the location of a honking horn when I am driving.....
Maybe it's the logical thing to do.... But it's tough on unprotected pedestrians, cyclists, and people trying to sleep at 2 AM.... And it was not that way 50 years ago when the operators at the ambulance/fire club I used to hang out at had to log every use of the siren.
--
Pete Cresswell