OT - Please don't feed the trolls

Page 2 of 3
On Monday, December 8, 2014 6:02:38 PM UTC-6, Robert Macy wrote:

Stormy top-posted for years before he figured out how not to...so he should have be more gracious.
No worries, mate. We all miss stuff, now and again.
On 12/8/2014 7:04 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 10:05:58 -0500, Mayayana wrote:

This was exactly what I was wanting to know. Thank you Mayayana. You mentioned computer groups that you still hang out in. Would you mind sharing those? I hang out on Anandtech but I wouldn't mind finding a decent newsgroup to drop into every once in awhile that is tech related.
On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:43:30 AM UTC-6, wg_2002 wrote:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forum.php http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/

EVERY brouser I use has the top come into view FIRST. You have NO idea how much of a nuisance it is to have scroll down to the botom to finally read a response,
I totally agree.
On 12/9/2014 9:57 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

I totally agree.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
| This was exactly what I was wanting to know. Thank you Mayayana. You | mentioned computer groups that you still hang out in. Would you mind | sharing those? I hang out on Anandtech but I wouldn't mind finding a | decent newsgroup to drop into every once in awhile that is tech related. |
I used to make some money writing shareware for Windows. I still write software, libraries and scripts, though mostly for fun. So I frequent Windows groups and programming groups:
alt.windows7.general microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion (VB6) microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
I used to frequent several others (Internet Explorer, Windows Script Host, Win32 programming, Windows shell, COM programming, WMI, ...) but Usenet usage has gradually faded over time and many have closed or become neglected. Also, Microsoft closed the server for their groups and many of the regulars mistakenly thought they'd no longer be able to use those groups. (Microsoft started a strictly moderated Web forum that's basically a marketing venue for only the products they want to push. But newsgroups are not centralized, so the MS groups are still live.) You can look at your options in the list provided by your news server. But many groups don't get traffic anymore. You just have to check them out.
There should be plenty of tech-type groups that you can probably find if you search the groups provided by your news server. There are lots of Linux groups, for instance. I think there are hardware groups. (Which may be what you want if you've been hanging around at AnandTech.) There are also private servers, like Mozilla. My news server doesn't get the Mozilla groups but I assume one can subscribe through the Mozilla server. I know there's a group for 2600. (You know that hackers magazine?)
At one time I used to subscribe to a webmasters group, which was great for finding out about obscure things like recent changes to Google's page ranking. That group had one very nasty "ringleader" and I finally gave up on trying to use the group. (I find some of the techiest groups are the worst in terms of childish fighting and insults. The Linux groupies, for instance, can be very harsh with what they like to call "newbies". Ignorance is no excuse in the world of unsocialized geeks. :)
For a while I subscribed to a philosophy group. That was somewhat interesting, but it tended to be taken over by two groups of vehement, irrational people: Literalist quasi-Christian fanatics and angry "neo- atheists". With those two at each others' throats there wasn't much room for reasonable discussion. :)
I also frequent a digital photo group that can be interesting. Some of the regulars like to post their work and discuss. There are a few very talented people there. I originally went there because my ladyfriend is a photographer who had her own darkroom for many years and began switching to digital. I wrote her some software for photo processing and generally handle the technical end of things for her. (I'm not a good photographer but I have a lot of experience working with digital graphics.) So I started going to the photo group for guidance about such things as software options, and I stuck around because it's often interesting.
That should provide a sample of what's available -- the promise and the problems. I wish more people would take part, but I'm afraid that most younger people already think of the Internet as a commercial service for entertainment. Apple, Twitter, Facebook, Google, Foursquare and their ilk host young peoples' ad-infested social lives. The idea of a simple, text-based discussion group doesn't seem to appeal to them, as corporate America gradually transforms participating citizens into herds of "consumers".
| > This was exactly what I was wanting to know. Thank you Mayayana. You | > mentioned computer groups that you still hang out in. Would you mind | > sharing those? I hang out on Anandtech but I wouldn't mind finding a | > decent newsgroup to drop into every once in awhile that is tech related. | | http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forum.php | http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ | http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ |
Those are all forums, too. They may be useful, but unlike newsgroups they're very difficult to read, being limited to a webpage format. Most also require joining up and sharing private information in order to post. Also worth noting: Many apparent forums (though not the ones you listed) are actually just "content thief" sites, reprinting newsgroups. More than once I've searched for information and found my own newsgroup posting, reprinted on a web forum where I'm listed as a "guest".
To: Mayayana On 12/7/2014 10:05 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Spelling flames are bad manners, you stupid idiot! It's "etiquette" learn to spell and get a brain, why don't you!!!!!!! http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/etiquette
Abuse of Exclaimation Points and Capitalization Is Also Bad Manners!!!!!
SO IS ALSO WRITING IN CALL CAPS BAD MANNERS!!!!!!!!
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Mayayana Some people consider top posting to be bad manners. < FART > and we sure don't want to use bad < burp > manners on Usenet.
On 12/7/2014 10:05 AM, Mayayana wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
quoted text so we know what your talking ab
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway

THAT'S "... KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT" !!!
...couldn't resist. ;)
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: RobertMacy Robert,
Ddin't you mean to top post that?
:-)
-T
...couldn't resist either. ;-)
On 12/08/2014 10:02 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: RobertMacy On 12/8/2014 1:02 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

Thank you for playing. Now, spit out the hoke.
Spelling flayms can be a lot of fun.
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: RobertMacy On 12/8/2014 1:02 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

BTW, forgot to write. Your an idiot.
Put that in your drain pipe and snake it!
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Stormin Mormon On Monday, December 8, 2014 12:07:38 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

This doesn't sound like my Christian Stormy? ;^P
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 13:07:57 -0500, Stormin Mormon

You sound like a plumberist, shame on you.
--
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land,it will be in the guise of
fighting a foreign enemy.-- James Madison
To: Oren On 12/8/2014 3:32 PM, Oren wrote:

I'm converting, at the end of the year.
- . Christopher A. Young Learn about plumbers www.buttcrack.org .
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Stormin Mormon On 12/08/2014 01:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Do you get to have a bunch of pipe wrenches or just one?
AND I AIN'T CLICKING ON THE LINK!
:-D
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 16:25:44 -0500, Stormin Mormon

It sounds like you want to be a stall-list.
Bush's fault, ya know.