OT - Please don't feed the trolls

Page 1 of 3
sigh, once again alt.home.repair is filling with unrelated clutter.
Many postings here, even when off topic, are informative, thought provoking, or expanding. However, some make me feel like my soul has been sullied, makes one want to go shower. The comments are NOT informative. Not thought provoking, nor expanding in any way. Many actually sound like pre-pubescent prattle.
At least most of the posters, either agree with what I say [which for some reason makes me happy] OR some posters after I post, 'hold my feet to the fire' so to speak, forcing me to think out more carefully [which also for some reason makes me happy, reminding me to correct sloppy thought processes or to more carefully say what I'm thinking]. Thank you to all who CONTRIBUTE here. and SHAME on those who just pour sludge into alt.home.repair
My brouser system is NOT capable of kill filing so I have to wade through all that muck. So, again, please don't feed the trolls.
PS: when the eclutter gets REALLY huge [new word 'eclutter' please use and attribute to me ;)] I only have time to glance down through the list of topics and pick out replies I know I will learn from or enjoy, for example often pick out Stormin Mormon's posts for I know he eiher posts solid technical espertise, a kind word, or some witty comment. All by reading, I am better for having read.
On 12/2/2014 9:48 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

My apologies. I did reply to the trolls a couple times, but I will try to be a bit more serious.
Love that term "eclutter". Consider it estolen.

Nutcase "Col. Edmund Burke" is a Canadian. He posts the exact same drivel to can.internet.highspeed, and is one of those responsible for that once- excellent group being abandoned by its legitimate posters.
can.internet.highspeed has not had a new post since late-October, so the nutcase evidently feels the need to post his onanistic dribble here, where somebody is actually looking.
--
Tegger

...and responding? ;)
thanks for the background. That's really sad.
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 07:48:00 -0700, RobertMacy wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I'm new to posting in newsgroups and I'm not sure what proper netiquette is here. Is there a post that goes over the do's and don'ts for alt.home.repair?
On 12/06/2014 07:09 PM, wg_2002 wrote:

I haven't seen one. Basically, don't be a jerk is the rules.
On 12/7/2014 12:39 AM, Todd wrote:

The rule is there are no rules.
| Thanks for posting this. I'm new to posting in newsgroups and I'm not | sure what proper netiquette is here. Is there a post that goes over the | do's and don'ts for alt.home.repair?
The general edicate for newsgroups is that posts should be on-topic. A post that's a bit off-topic should be labeld with "OT" in the subject line. So for this group, asking about siding your house is on-topic. Asking about repairing a fishing rod is OT, but it's sort of related because it involves handy skills that are of interest to the group. Posts about the Bible, Obama, Rush Limbaugh, or "Falling ice nails Serbian official in head" are not related and are considered to be anti-social behavior in that they ignore the whole point of the group.
The basic idea is just that people choose to come here for the topic, as opposed to a chat group where people gather for social reasons. So no one should have to wade through unrelated posts. Unfortunately, there are often people looking for attention in one way or another. Or sometimes someone wants to be in charge. Other times there are compulsive arguers who make it difficult for anyone to talk. It varies by group. For the most part it works out pretty well, considering there's no way to enforce polite and considerate behavior. (And even some people who are trying to be polite are borderline anti-social, but have no idea that they are. :)
I frequent a lot of computer-related groups and for the most part people are considerate, with little tolerance for irrelevant posts or nasty insults. This group tends to be a bit more unruly, but it's at least still usable, with a lot of knowledgeable people who are considerate.
There used to be more detailed Usenet (newsgroup) edicate rules, which are probably still online. In the early days it was more well defined and reader software for it was more limited. For example, it used to be the norm to post one's comments at the bottom of the thread because people were reading/writing in a single, long text window. We've had the luxury of "treeview" display of threads and subthreads since the late 90s, but there are still many people who got so used to the single window that they'll leave all the foregoing text in a message and then post their comment all the way at the bottom. That's why you might see some posts where you have to scroll way down to read what someone wrote. There are even some people who will fight about that and insist that it's "illegal" to "top-post" or to trim out the foregoing posts.
I don't think you need to worry about all that. It's really just like anywhere else: If people are reasonably considerate then it works out.
On 12/7/2014 10:05 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Spelling flames are bad manners, you stupid idiot! It's "etiquette" learn to spell and get a brain, why don't you!!!!!!! http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/etiquette
Abuse of Exclaimation Points and Capitalization Is Also Bad Manners!!!!!
SO IS ALSO WRITING IN CALL CAPS BAD MANNERS!!!!!!!!
Some people consider top posting to be bad manners. < FART > and we sure don't want to use bad < burp > manners on Usenet.
On 12/7/2014 10:05 AM, Mayayana wrote:

quoted text so we know what your talking ab
On 12/7/2014 10:05 AM, Mayayana wrote:

This is what people think of your edicate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvuSCjUy61Y

| Nobody has asked you to be the AHR hall monitor.
No indeed. The idea is that the people here should be adults and not need supervision. But if you don't see the relevance of being considerate about your postings then I know anything I say won't awaken your social conscience. I was posting to wg_2002, who does seem to want to be considerate.

Usenet was created by Duke University students. No profit to them, just the desire to enable people to share. I've read Usenet since early on (since I was working at Bell Labs at it's inception).
I don't think any of us foresaw the kind of crap that goes on without moderation. Your common human being appears to not be bright enough to see the consequences of their actions.

Absolutely right, based on my experience.
--
Dan Espen

THAT'S "... KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT" !!!
...couldn't resist. ;)
Robert,
Ddin't you mean to top post that?
:-)
-T
...couldn't resist either. ;-)
On 12/08/2014 10:02 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

On 12/8/2014 1:02 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

Thank you for playing. Now, spit out the hoke.
Spelling flayms can be a lot of fun.
On 12/8/2014 1:02 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

BTW, forgot to write. Your an idiot.
Put that in your drain pipe and snake it!
On Monday, December 8, 2014 12:07:38 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

This doesn't sound like my Christian Stormy? ;^P

Is ok, since I DID miss top-posting! ;)