OT: Places of Tragedy

Folks, I couldn't get an answer on of all places a PARAPSYCHOLOGY usenet, so I'll pose this serious question here:

IS IT OK to visit places where people have died? Specifically, where lots of people died suddenly, not alone in one's bed.

The spot in particular is now part of an office park in Connecticut, in plain sight, a grassy spot easily accessible by pedestrians on the sidewalk. There's even a lone wooden bench next to a tree there, ostensibly for smokers. Many decades ago, several dozen young folks died in a terrible fire on that spot. Nothing of that venue is left now.

Could I place myself or others in danger(spiritual or otherwise) by setting foot there?

Thanks in advance for any COGENT, considerate thoughts you may have on this subject.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

A nightclub. I forget the name, but wasn't that fire the origin of fire safetly laws all across the country? Like the doors opened in, so when the crowd pushed to get out, the people in front could not open the doors. Now all public buildings built since then and any that are designed to hold crowds, in t he US and most of the world have doors that open out, with panic bars so people won't have to look for the latches.

The Copacabana? No, that was Boston? Connecticut was more recent, only 20 years ago?, and caused by indoor fireworks, which seems on its face to be a bad idea, even though they had a permit and stuff like that had been done quite a few times before. It didn't result in any fire safety laws except probably banning indoor fireworks.

I don't think so.

Treat the place with respect, in honor of their memories, but merely visiting shows no disrespect.

I don't think it's reasonable, practical, necessary, or a good idea to refrain from using, even for mundane uses, places where many have died. Prime example the Denny's where a bunch of people were shot. OTOH, that doesnt' mean customers will go there, for whatever reason. But I certainly don't think every such place has to become a memorial park. If no one wants to eat in the restaurant, under the old name or a new one, they can tear it down and build an office building. With a plaque that commemorates what happened.

I can be sure that I'm considerate, but I can't count on being cogent. With some people, no one else is cogent.

Reply to
micky

If you determine that people are at risk, you better tell them to shut down the 911 WTC Memorial, Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, Nazi concentration camps, Normandy Beaches, etc. I've been to all of those and I'm still OK.

Reply to
trader_4

Ford's theater is a well known tourist attraction, now actually a theater again but the Petersen House across the street is less ambiguous and it is the next stop on the tour. Death always draws a crowd

Reply to
gfretwell

Thousands of people visit the 9/11 Ground Zero site in NYC every day. There does not seem to be a problem for them.

Imagine once the tower that has now been built on the site gets full of tenants.

Reply to
Retired

That was in Rhode Island. tation Nightclub

CT did have a circus tent fire in 1944.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How do you know your house was not built atop a battle ground from an Indian war? Or even the Civil War?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski:

Re Circus Fire: Correct. Center ring memorialis due east of Wish Elementary, in its field.

Folks the reason I brought this up is because about 16 years ago I visited such a place of "death before their time" for many people, and two weeks later the only grandparent I knew died - albeit peacefully in her sleep - after 92 years.

I had always thought that somehow I had brought something upon my family by visiting that place. I didn't even get out of my car - I just sat in the lot in the dark and looked across, then drove away after 5-10 min.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

From here, I can't see any real danger. Of course, check for local, present crime rate and so on.

Folks visit death sites, on a regular basis, to learn, commemorate, and grieve. People go to Pearl Harbor, Auschwitz, Dachau, and old Indian battle grounds, and come out okay.

A lot has to do with the attitude you take in. If you visit Dachau, to learn and take the attitude of "history must not repeat evil" you should be okay.

Sounds like you might consider meet with a clergyman in your own area, and discuss your concerns.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Was this the location ?

's_nightclub_fire

Right on the state line between Port Chester NY & Greenwich CT in 1974

Reply to
Retired

You didn't do anything to cause this.

If a 20-year old who wasn't sick died suddenly, even then it wouldn't be on you, but at least it would be remarkable.

92-year olds can die at any minute. Even someone my age and even in great health like I am can die at any minute, because things wear out.

It says in Psalm 90, "10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten, or even by reason of strength fourscore years." so everything about

70 or 80 is "gravy"

If you had been to the circus and 2 *days* later, your grandparent won the lottery, would you attribute the win to your going to the circus?

Reply to
micky

That about sums it up. Especially bizarre given it was a 92 year old that died, that was long beyond their expected number of years.

Reply to
trader_4

Went to a hamfest at Sportsman's Hall on Sunday. Burnt down about 10 years ago. I learned the story this Sunday. Guy broke into building, a roller rink, and broke into vending machines for the money, then opened one of the 5-gallon cans of tung oil, that they use to keep the floor nice (he said) and poured it across the floor.

The volunteer fire engine came quickly, saw the flames through the biggg window, broke the glass and pumped what water they had (no hydrants in the country), but instead of putting the fire out, it spread it and the whole building went down. Fortunately the manager who lived in an attached apartment was not there that morning. No one was hurt.

Turned out it was done by an escaped mental patient, just like in the movies.

Insurance paid, building rebuilt**, insurance sued the state mental hospital.

**Very nice inside, only 4-wheel skates for rent, only 4-wheel skates for sale. Plus other skating type things and food. Plus lockers, ski-ball, air hockey, and one other old fashioned game, but only 6 things altogether. Most people skate, plus 3 rows of seats for watching, plus an electric keyboard and amp. Country life is still wholesome. Only 7 miles from a suburb but I'll bet none of those people go there.
Reply to
micky

That's just indigestion. Chew more thoroughly.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher