OT physical questions about the sinking Italian ship

Page 3 of 4

Yeah, he says that happened and he wanted the lifeboat to take him back to the ship, but they refused. The problem with this is that recording of someone in charge teliling him to get back on the shp, and his saying, "It's dark now.". And the other guy's sarcastic answer, "Do you want to go home? " It's dark and you want to go home.

That's why I hope the voice recorder on the bridge was working. The black box has been recovered and hopefully it has that plus all the other pertinent data.

Just opionion but I seriously doubt that _any_ commercial ship has sonar.
Harry K

Why? It's availabe for even small craft for $1000? And that's how depth finders and fish finders on virtually all boats work.

I was wondering about whether they had forward looking sonar and were using it too. You can get a basic version for $1000 for pleasure craft. One would think that this ship certainly had it, but whether they were looking at is another question.
<I can't wait to hear the voice recorder from the bridge, ie the conversations between the captain and the other officers. There was a videotape shown on TV where the same ship came in close to shore before at night, blowing the horn, putting on a display for people on shore and on the boat.
It's just amazing that with all the modern systems, eg GPS chart plotter, redundancy, etc, humans can still screw up so badly. In the waters where this occured, there was no reason for so many to lose their lives.
The voice recording won't help unless you are fluent in Italian.
However, here is a transcript in English.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01/17/transcript-cruise-captain-and-italian-coast-guard-official /
Charlie

Yep and looks like the first screw up was turning off or at least overriding all the gizmos.

No, that is the captain and the coast guard after the captain abandoned ship.
We are talking what went on AT THE BRIDGE at the time of the grounding.

I have an exclusive transcript:
First Mate: "Hey Cap, check this out. She's got her top off." Captain: "What, in January? Are you nuts?" F: "No, really! Take the binoculars and see for yourself." C: "I think that's a beige top." F: "No, I'm sure I saw nipples." C: "Her bottoms are a different color." F: "Yeah, so she's topless." C: "Could be one of those mix-and-match things. You how women are." F: "Lemme take another look. I swear she's topless. I saw nipples." C: "OK, take the binoculars back." ***CRUNCH***
--
Tegger

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 05:36:30 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"
in

Thanks. Well, I'm not a strong swimmer or a good swimmer, but I think even I could get to the land in that time.
And if I knew there were houses (one picture did make it seem like the houses could be seen from the deck), I wouldn't hesitate to knock on the door.
I wonder how many people swam to the shore. It does seem that everyone who got out of the middle of the ship survived.
Did anyone drown outsdide the ship?

Theyt've had sonar for 65+ years, and I think they've had sonar that warns of underwater rocks for almost that long.

Worth reading, even if you only go on ponds.
Esp "Do not massage the victims arms and legs. Massage will cause the circulatory system to take cold blood from the surface into the bodys core, resulting in further temperature drop. Do not give alcohol, which causes loss of body heat, or coffee and tea which are stimulants (and cause vasodilation) and may have the same effect as massage."
These are the only "remedies" they show on tv and movies, and they're all bad, it seems.
On 1/18/2012 4:26 AM, micky wrote:

Someone said it was a 300 yard swim to shore.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:37:19 -0500, Frank

Maybe disregard what I said in another post I can't swim 300 yards, although maybe with a life vest I could.
I think it may have hit the rocks 300 yards away, and then moved closer to the land (which the captain is taking much credit for.). One photo from the side made it look like it was only the height of the smokestack away from land.
Maybe hte smart thing to do was take coat hangers or chairs and make oneself a hook to hang on the side with. Later, when t he ship was sideways, maybe one could just sit on the side.

I'd be standing against the wall on the high side. When it tipped far enough you'd just stand on the wall against the floor - and wait. No reason for anyone to have died.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:25:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Where are the life vests kept? In the cabins? Do people have to go to their cabin to get their life vests? I don't kow, never been on a cruise. (Not my cup of tea. I don't even like islands. When I lived in Brooklyn for 12 years, periodically I'd think about how trapped I was and the only way out might be my bicycle.)
micky wrote:

Hi, Vests are stored in the cabin. Also some more on the muster stations where they launch life boats or dingy.

On all the cruises I've been on they are at lifeboat stations.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:50:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Like I say, I don't know, but if they think they have to go to their cabin to get the lifevest, that could be a problem when the water rushes in or the ship tips over. Fortunately I'm fat now, and don't need a life vest until I am unconsconscious, or nearly so. That's the only good thing about being fat.

Perhaps, but in spite of all the regulations and sophisticated equipment, some dumb human over ride made it worthless.

50 f. water temp.