OT physical questions about the sinking Italian ship

Page 1 of 4
OT Does anyone know a) what the water temp was where the ship sank in Italy?
How long can one last at that temperature?
b) how far it really was from the ship to land? Because of telephoto lenses, it's very hard to tell. It was 9:30PMtwhen the ship went aground, right? What time? I believe the ship backed up or did something after that to get closer to land. Eventually it was night. What time did the moon rise and how full was it? Was there a a fulll moon on the 9th, 3 days earlier? Full moons rise aboiutt 6PM, standard time, and rise 47.2 minutes later each day. Darkenss is about 40 minutes after sundown, sundown is a little after 5 these days. That mattered when I thought it was daylight wen the ship sanka and if it had been, it woudl have meant was about 2 hours after darkness before the moon rose. But there were lights in houses on the shore.
c) All in all, how many people jumped overboard on the side near the land, and how well did they do? Did they all get to shore. Was there a beach, or rocks? What was the air temp? Would they freeze without dry clothes? At what air temp and wind speed is better to take your clothes than to sit in wet clothes?
How many people jumped over on the far side, which some of the time was easier to jump from, or at least, if stuck inside, I would want to go up instead of down, and if I could, I'd come out on deck on the high side, the sdie farther from the shore in this case.
c What is that thing that sticks out of the side, blelow the water line? It looks like an air foil, a water foil, but it's so small, 20 feet long at most, 5 feet front to back, I'm guessing
micky wrote:

Stabilizer? To cut down roll.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

According to this page: <http://www.cyprusvillages.com.cy/cyprus-holidays-vacations-uk/weather-cyprus-climate-maps-temperatures-forecast/weather-cyprus-climate-maps-temperatures-forecast-rl.php about 16C, which is about 61F.

About 2 to 7 hours before unconsciousness, according to this boating-safety page I found: <http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hypothermia.htm
--
Tegger

I can't wait to hear the voice recorder from the bridge, ie the conversations between the captain and the other officers. There was a videotape shown on TV where the same ship came in close to shore before at night, blowing the horn, putting on a display for people on shore and on the boat.
It's just amazing that with all the modern systems, eg GPS chart plotter, redundancy, etc, humans can still screw up so badly. In the waters where this occured, there was no reason for so many to lose their lives.
On 1/18/2012 8:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:
in

Its the walmart syndrome. Everyone wants cheap so these cruise lines all operate under foreign flags which have less stringent requirements for little things like crew competency and safety.

You two know the regulatory situation surrounding that ship and its crew? You two know exactly why the ship grounded? No, you do not. You know zero. But you spout non-sequiturs anyway.
Why not wait until the investigation is finished before touting your personal biases?
--
Tegger

We don't know enough to convict someone at a trial, but we know enough to have an opinion here. The ship grounded because he sailed too close to shore. There are if I measured correctly 6 miles from the island to the nearest piece of mainland. He was only 100 or 200 years away when he ripped a hole in his hull.

His statement about regulations was not meant to say regulations would have prevented this accident. It was about electronic equipment, not wiilfful departure from the planned course. The captain wasn't following the regulatoins that exist now.
Maybe someone else also didn't follow the planned course. Maybe many didn't. They were lucky their ship didn't founder. This guy was not.

We won't be interested in the topic 6 months from now.
It's called a fuck-up. We all do it. The difference is that most of us just hit the backspace key and type in the correct value.
You can't do that with a cruise ship.

Even less in 2 or 3 years.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:29:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Good point.
On 1/18/2012 8:41 PM, Tegger wrote:

So why do cruise lines seek out the laxest countries and register their ships there?

This one was flagged in Italy, hardly world renowned as a flag of convenience. Also, even if flagged in a different country, most of the developed countries (like the US and most of Europe) also have their own requirements if you are sailing from or to them and carrying their citizens. My understanding is that the flag of convenience is more related to things like needing to pay US minimum wages if US flagged than it is lax safety.

me:
The safety of passengr vessels is regulated by an international board. The flag is immaterial. All passenger ships must be inspected and meet the codes to enter international commerce.
http://www.simsl.com/Publications/Articles/SOLASRegs0710.html
Just one of a whole bunch of hits using passenger ships safety
Harry K

Not true for cruise liners. Tankers <> cruise ships.

Because registrations come with taxes. Ship owners tend to register where the registration taxes are lowest.
--
Tegger

The Costas are all registered in Italy, hardly what most people would call a flag of convenience.

Very true.
I really do wish some people would wait for data before spouting their prejudices.
--
Tegger

That would be no fun at all. You'd think this was National Brotherhood Week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgASBVMyVFI

I really do wish some people would wait for data before spouting their prejudices.
--
Tegger

Look at how fancy that ship was. I'm sure it had all the electroncs anyone has invented.

Yes it does. And there is a regulartory body for passenger lines. But you can lead a captain to the pilot house but you can't make him look at the gauges.

You can lead a captain to the pilot house, but you can't make him THINK. I was told the second in command, or the engineer - told him to move away from shore and stay in deep water and he as much as said "shut up - I"M the captain."
Then a sickening, tearing crash.