OT phone solicitation

Page 4 of 4

Contact the Federal Trade Commission. We went round and round with ATT, made a complaint, and within two weeks a supervisor personally called and apologized, the debt was wiped out, and we got an $80 check.
I do not know your circumstances, if the calls are warranted, or what, but it seems as though they are over the top. The FTC WILL get their attention, particularly if the calls are interstate, and if they are in fact doing something wrong.
Steve
alt.home.repair:

Can't advise you about problem #1, but I have a strategy for #2. It's very hard to get this type of call to stop. They claim to be "credit card insurance", but when you press them for the name of their company and their real purpose they usually hang up on you (only to call back later). They do not respect any "Do Not Call" list, and since they don't admit their company name, it's not possible to report them.
I think they're paid according to how many idiots they can lasso per hour, so the best way to get back at them is to string them along for as long as possible. I used to have a routine where I'd start asking them mildly pervy questions about their sexy footwear, or whether they were wearing bikini underwear or bloomers. They usually didn't put up with that for long, but it was fun to hear them squirm. And I think I did wind up on some of their own "do no call this creep" lists. A slightly better tack seemed to be to answer all their questions in correctly formed but random sentences that are totally unrelated to anything they asked. They spend some good time trying to figure out if you misunderstood them, or if they misunderstood you, or if you're just plumb crazy. This seems to have gotten me on many of their "don't waste your time" lists.
Of course, this all takes your own time, too, but I think that merely hanging up keeps you on their list of possibles and therefore doesn't do much to discourage the calls.
I used to get the calls daily, sometimes multiples, but now it's rare.
wrote in

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!
Steve
For houses with kids, hand the phone to your four or five year old "its for you".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus