OT phone solicitation

I use a freeware program call Phone Tray Free http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm
It lets you zap calls with various SIT tones such as "This number has been disconnected" or "This number is not in service", etc.
There are options to match on all calls marked "Private Number", "Out of Area", Local, Long Distance, and "Toll Free". You can also match on exact numbers or use a wildcard to match on any combination. For example, you can use the wildcard char "?" to catch all numbers matching 800-555-????. This is very useful with telemarketers who own a block of numbers that they call from.
Dee

Been there, done that. Last company I worked at I had access to the company phone system, and the more persistent telemarketers were added to a special blacklist that got that recording. They STILL kept calling, some 3-4 times a day, despite that trick recording.

Evan Platt wrote:

As soon as the SIT tones became widespread public knowledge a lot of auto dialers stopped paying attention to them.

Well, maybe I didn't explain it fully - our phone system had the capability to play a recording to certain numbers - blacklisted numbers. And the recording we chose was the "da da da - The number you have called has been disconnected". So sure, I can see them ignoring the tones, but their system is obviously faulty if it doesn't 'get the hint' that a number is disconnected after 4 tries a day - or more.

Joe J wrote:

For over a year now I keep getting these calls for some woman who owes a lot of people a lot of money. If I tell them not to call they often hang up and call the next day. What I do now is get all the information about them that I can. Sometimes I act as if I'm going to give the person their message! I write down the name of the company and a number to reply to and the callers name. Stay friendly with them. When I'm finish getting the info. I jokingly tell them that I really don't know the person, but I recorded our conversation and I would sue the living shit out of them if this persons name ever shows up on my credit report or if they call again. Works pretty good!
On 7/23/2010 1:59 PM, Joe J wrote:

I used to have a lot of fun with telemarketers and such but it took up too much of my time so I finally got a cheap answering machine and used the disconnected number message as my greeting, the unsolicited calls trickled off and finally stopped. Here's a link to a disconnected number message that you can put on your answering machine or keep handy on a hand held tape recorder to play into the phone when you see a jerk on your caller ID.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v+VbyCZXc5s

Oh yea, the three tones you hear on the notification messages are called SIT Special Information Tones, auto dialer computers recognize the SIT tones and will automatically hang up and mark the number as bad in their database.
TDD
Joe J wrote:

I had a similar problem. I got a second cell phone about 9 months ago. I got many calls from from bill collectors for "Michelle Smith" the apparent previous user of the phone number.
I recommend you avoid all the cute solutions, such as pretending to be the person in question, getting a message to them, or being in the bathroom.
Your best bet it to answer the calls. Tell them you recently acquired the phone number, and that the person they are looking for has never been at your location, you've never met the person they're looking for, and that the person they are looking for never will be at your location.
Other than the date when I received the new phone number from my cellular carrier, I refused to give any other information about myself, such as my name or address. Nonetheless, every collector agreed to stop calling.
Google the phone numbers, then you should be able to find out which collection agency you're dealing with.
The problem is that the scum collection agency then sells the debt to yet another collection agency. So you get to repeat the process.
Eventually, they all get the message. It has now been 23 days since I got a call for "Michelle Smith".

Don't throw around your phone number to people that don't need it. For example Lowe's and Auto Zone, who like to tie your purchases to your phone number.
Don't enter contests. The entry form is used as a tool to collect your personal data.
Check the fine print of all your bank accounts, credit cards, and insurance. Or call them up. Find the contact to remove you from all "special offers", marketing, and information sharing.
Inform every caller that you are on the DNC list, and speak the magic words, "Place me on your Do Not Call List".
Report every violation, every time, to the Federal DNC list and your state list (they probably have a website too).
https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx
Robo call telemarketing is illegal. Report every call.
--
Tony Sivori

I tried the honest way myself on two occasions. I'm pretty sure one was the story I already told where they kept calling anyhow.
the other one was just a year or two ago, and like you say every collector agreed to stop calling, but then someone else called. It did stop after about 5 different callers.

In my case, the different people showed up pretty quickly, so I'm wondering if they givve the same info to more than one person. Like some people want to be the first to call, and maybe they get less per successful contact that results in a payment plan; and others may want, or be foreced to take, the hard nuts to crack, but receive more if they make contact and get a payment plan. (and payment).

You may not be done yet.

Absolutely. I don't give such places my phone number unless there is darn good reason. I have given UPS, but when I have something delivered to a friend, I give UPS MY number again, because the UPS guys know her business hours already.

And to estabilsh a relationship that I think exempts them from the no-call list. But how do you get a free dinner at a resturant if you don't filll out that slip?

There was one company that would send money orders, charged online, for lower than anyone else. Ithink related to Bank of America. Half way through the process I read about how I was giving their affiliated organizations the right to email me. Now I thought that was only orgs that had Bancamerica in their name, that were actually branches of the bank dealing with stocks or options or whatever, but I still backed out. Later I found out it included 1000's of companies, so it must be anyone they contract with, including falafel stands.

The worst thing you can do is waste a telemarketer's time. If you can do that by keeping them on the phone for a long time, they will eventually take you off the list, that's what you want. If you're busy and can't do it, that's one thing. If you have the time and want to take it, it can be quite entertaining. Just go through the motions with them. Current address ........ not yours. Current phone ........ this one. Current place of employment ........ not yours. Right down the line. Cooperate, cooperate, cooperate, all the time taking up their precious time. Interjecting schizophrenic screams, Tourette's syndrome symptoms, and questions like, "What color underwear do you have on? Do you have a dog?" Then sharing information like, "I don't have any underwear on. I once had a dog, but I think my dad drowned him. So, I shot my dad and buried him in the basement. Do you like Tuesdays?" Once they get it through their thick skulls that you are not the person they are looking for, and you are just yanking their chain and using up productive time, they will leave you alone, and for a long time.
Listen to the Tom Mabe youtube sketch for ideas. Do you think that telemarketer is ever going to forget the name Tom Mabe? I don't. Any time soon, that is.
HTH
Steve
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:15:58 -0700, "Steve B"

I had a guy call me once to sell something. I told him point blank and politely that I was not interested. He kept talking.....No thanks I said......he kept talking.
I said look. You can keep talking if you want to. I have earned my money for the day. Go ahead.
He ended the call.

Pursuing a sales pitch probably does work sometimes. One year I volunteered to sell advertising for the program for my college fraternity's annual dance. I went to local stores. Every one of them said they wouldn't buy when I walked in, and I just explained the situation and, wihtout being pushy at all, gave one facet of the dance and the fraternity after anoyther. And fully 90$ of the shop owners bought from me. I coudn't believe it. Even in 1967 prices, I was selling 100 dollars of advertising an hour. 5 or 6 stores per hour. VAlmost no walking time so about 10 or 12 minutes in each one.
The next year I volunteered for the whole job, and again I sold at that rate.
Later I moved and about 5 or 7 years later tried to selll fund raising advertising for a community organization that really did a lot for the community, including by extention the merchants, and was a better org than my fraternity. But I got nowhere. I don't know why.

At that point, I say "Excuse me. Do you understand English?"
The response is invariably affirmative. My next question is "What did I just say?"
"Well, sir, you said you weren't interested, but -- "
[interrupting] "So you *don't* understand English. Or you're stupid." [hang up]

I once was a steel erection contractor. I had a guy call every month that must have been in prison, or just was persistent. He started the call with things that a relative or long lost friend would bring up. He tried to sell me cases of abrasive disks, like 1,000 that I would use a dozen of a month.
At first, it was entertaining. And he would catch me every time, thinking it was an old friend who had found I was successful and famous.
Then I grew weary. I would tell this guy what he could do with his disks in terms that would make a sailor puke, and the next month, he would still call.
Then I just started hanging up on him.
That lasted about three months.
Steve
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:09:02 -0700, "Steve B"

My friend runs a ministorage, and in the last 5 years or so, she gets calls from salemen who act like they already have a relationship with her. Just a business relationshiop. Like a lightbulb saleman who wants to to fill "another" order. She's the only one who works there, not counting some guys who mow the lawn or paint empty lockers, who all work for her, so she knows exactly what she buys and whom she buys it from.
It's something like the email spam that pretends to be from a bank you do busineess with, except those I guess have viruses, and I guess these guys would actually deliver decent lightbulbs.

i was running my own biz. I doubt they sent decent lightbulbs since it was always COD and always someone had just cancelled an order and they had a bunch of them they could give me at a great price. Then they'd call back about 3 months later with the same deal and the same reason. I almost felt sorry for the guy wondering how he stayed employed with all those cancelled orders on his books.
and name it after the IRS.

Maybe she's getting those same cancelled orders, like a fruit cake that runs around for years. I'll try to remember to ask her.
Steve B wrote:

An old business acquaintance had a cold calling job for a little while. He told me that whenever a potential customer wasted their time or just really pissed them off, they would pass the number around on a list and everyone would call the people on the list multiple times a day.
I had one guy sell me a couple things once. After that he thought I should buy something every month. He started to get rude and mean with me! As soon as I would try to talk to him he would hang up on me! I found my old invoice and called the company to complain. Turns out the callers are nowhere near the actual business, but the person I talked to promised me he would find the caller and get him fired. Don't know if he got fired, but I never received another call from that company.
Tony Sivori wrote:

Or use a number like (area code) - 911 - xxxx
It will work for customer loyalty discount purposes, but if the store actually CALLS the number, they'll get in trouble for prank-calling emergency services. Or at least a talking-to. Maybe some flashlight therapy by a 'roided-up primate wearing a badge.
(Heck, a guy can DREAM, can't he?)
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:29:23 -0400, jeff_wisnia

_Mother of all Phone Pranks_ by Tom Mabe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
RAzjZ3zzY

I've heard that at least a dozen times, and crack up every time I hear it.
Steve