OT phone solicitation

Page 1 of 4

I'm just checking if anybody here has any thoughts about my problem.
Just moved from a different state in May and now have Cable, Internet and Phone from Time-Warner. We are inundated with calls for 3 specific people from debt collectors. 5-9 calls per day. Each time I have requested to be placed on the do not call list and tell them they have the wrong number. Each time they tell me this is their first time calling and they will remove me. It doesn't happen, the calls keep coming.
Problem #2 I keep getting calls from a credit card insurance company that shows up as a local number with caller ID, but it is a solicitation. I have demanded they put me on their do not call list and they claim the number is "computer generated" and every time I answer, I will get ten more calls.
OK, I've stopped answering, but how do they disguise their number into a local caller ID number? I am signed up for both the state and national "do not call list".
It's really getting annoying and I'm wondering if anyone has any solutions.
Joe J wrote:

Tried calling Time-Warner and complaining?
Joe J wrote:

Unless change your number, until every creditor of the previous has been notified (and, more importantly, pays any attention to the notification) they have the right to call the phone number on record for the debtor so don't think there is much you can do about that.
As for the number, there's nothing that prevents them from setting up a local dialing center controlled remotely. On that legality, if you've ever had any dealing with the company then they have the loophole of the "previous business relationship" they can fall back on. I don't recall whether there's an expiry date on that or not; probably not short enough to be of any use to you if so. If they are indeed blind calls then the don't call should be honored. But, ime, the list is useful only as a feel-good for the complainant who gets themselves listed; afaict there is almost no enforcement of ignoring it so it has no real effect on the telemarketers.
Fortunately, we've had the same phone number for 50+ years so it's pretty immune to the problem of prior occupants.

It can be weirder than that. After we had lived here for about 15 years, I started getting collections calls from one of the local hospitals. The bizarre part, was that not only had I never heard of the person they wanted, but they would call 5-6 times a day looking for different people. I didn't bother calling back, I just deleted the messages. Then we started getting calls from the same hospital, but they were appointment reminders, and again, for different people we'd never heard of. After I came home and found the entire message tape completely full with this stuff, I called the hospital. Very long story short, after EIGHT MONTHS of back and forth with these people, and threats of lawsuits, we finally connected with the guy who programmed their auto-dialers. He checked the code, and if the system didn't have a valid phone number, it had randomly decided to use ours!
Problem finally solved, but if anything like that happens again, I'll go right to lawsuit mode. The attorney general's office had been unable to help us, because since the hospital wasn't calling for us, they considered it just a "wrong number".
h wrote:

I had something similar happen many years ago. All of a sudden we were getting dozens of calls a day from kids wanting to re-enrol at the local college. At first they just blew us off when we called to complain. We kept calling and finally they look into it... seems they printed our phone number on a poster that was plastered all over campus. Once they took them all down it slowed down and eventually stopped.
Hmm. Send $49.95 reenrollment fee to a swiss bank account....
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Debt collection calls I think are covered not by the do not call list but by provisions of the Fair Debt Collections Act, or something like that, which even before the donot call list gave, iiuc, even the debtor ability to get them to stop doing certain things (They used to do worse things like calling family and bosses, sometimes for debts that didnt' exist. Threaten to get them fired.) So you may need a idfferent formula of words than the dnclist. Check out the fdca rules.
I used to get calls for one guy I had nothing to do with, knew nothing about, and denials did nothing. A friend of my brothers told me that was the wrong approach, to say I didn't owe the money. YOU ALSO don't want to say you do owe the money, that would be bad, but he said to say: I won't pay. and then they would go to the next step which was to actually sue the guy, and when they organized their paperwork, they woudl figure out that you and he weren't the same. All I can tell you is the calls stopped coming.
This was 10 or 15 years ago and maybe their usual routine has changed, but maybe not.

What difference does it make? Either they have an office near yuou or they have a phone nearyou and use call forwarding. You are still supposed to be on the donotcalllist. One thing people do is say Wait a second, then go cook read a book or wallpaper the bedroom, comign back often enough that he doesn't hang up. I don't know how well that works but it seems like fun.

Right you are. It's the Fair Debt Collection Act that holds sway - at least for bill collectors.
You ask for their contact information, then inform them that "as per the Fair Debt Collection Act I am making a formal, legal request for you and your company to cease and desist from contacting me in any form." You could also ask for a fax number and fax them the same thing, along with your inclusion on the Do Not Call registry (might as well cover your bases), and informing them that the person from their records has moved on, and they should update their records. This tells them to either step it up and sue you, or go away. Since the 'you' is not you, no problem. They'll figure it out on their own time.

BTW, I don't really get any spam calls anymore since the dnclist, but another thing I'd like to say, to hear their answer is, You're already breaking the law by calling me. Why owuld I want to start a business relationship with you.
However note that it's a good sign for the ecomony that they credit card companies, even crooked ones, are trying sign up customers,

Can Time Warner arrange to block these callers for you?
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Every time you get a junk fax, trot down to your local small-claims court and collect $500 (up to $1500). This is federal law, enforceable at the state level.

Find out their number. Make a fax of gobbledygook, and make it in a loop, taping the ends of the sheets together on your fax. Dial their number at an hour where they will not be there, or where they will be out for the weekend. Send fax. It will keep looping, using up all the toner and/or paper on the other end and blocking them from business.
It's adolescent youtube stuff, but it works.
Steve

Incurring a *massive* long-distance charge on your phone bill...

Nonsense. You really think businesses still receive faxes on paper? There must a few, still, but come on. Wake up, Steve, it's not 1985 any more.

More nonsense. You really think they only have one phone line?

Yes, it is. It's also illegal.

No, it doesn't. You're an idiot.

I have free long distance, so that disproves your last point. I don't know where you live, but if you're paying for long distance, you must be in the sticks. Are you on a dial up still?
I have a paper powered fax machine. I guess I'm an idiot on that angle, too.
Seems to me you have reflected your own inadequacies while trying to expose mine.
The OP was asking for ideas. You don't like mine, but he might. The worst thing you can do to hurt a telemarketer is take up some of their time in unfruitful effort. Write it down so you don't forget it.
I love ya, Doug. Even though you're a little off.
Steve

I notice you didn't say anything about that point...

Therefore, everyone does. You're an idiot.

Yep. Especially if you think that businesses still use them. Like I said, there may be a few... but wake up, Steve. It's not 1985 any more.

You did a very good job of exposing your inadequacies all by yourself.

Only if he's an idiot too, or still stuck in 7th grade.

I'd like to see the source of your data about paper vs computerized faxing. I'm in the grocery industry. I visit some of the largest chains & wholesalers on earth. I can't see what's going on with their computers in any detail, but I see lots of busy fax machines.
Is it possible that your observations can coexist with those made by other people? Or is that categorically impossible?

I work for a small tooling company that is about 1.5 million a year in sales and about 60 percent of our customer's orders arrive via fax, and they want their pricing and availability confirmed back via fax. The remainder is via phone with about 5% via email. Nobody can be our customer unless they open an account with us so we do not sell to end users or consumers. Because we only supply other businesses we receive so many orders via fax.
We receive about 15 junk faxes a day/night. About 50 on a weekend.

Have you considered the cost of receiving paper faxes vs using a efax service?
I just can't believe that those things still exist.

I actually receive most of mine via computer, but the annotation feature absolutely BLOWS. If I need to scribble something on the fax and send it back, it gets printed, scribbled on, and stuck in a fax machine.
Let's face it: No matter how you send or receive them, they're stupid. If people are placing orders, they involve descriptions, quantities and prices. There's no excuse not to use a spreadsheet, document, etc. If someone needs to see artwork, scan the friggin' thing and send an image file.

I haven't seen the Statue of Liberty, but I believe it exists. Saying you can't believe something exists is saying something about the limits, boundaries, and size of your own brain.
Steve