OT - phone marketers

Page 1 of 2
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/18/2013 9:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Monday 10:48 AM "May I speak to the owner, this is an investigation about some past due accounts." "No, he's out of town for a couple weeks, won't be in until just before Christmas."
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, November 18, 2013 9:49:19 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Couldn't wait even an hour...had to answer your own post! WTF, read a book or get a job with HFH, or something!
On 11/18/2013 10:59 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

or something!

Sorry, I'm not at my desk right now. Would you like to leave a message?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Just got (yet another) call from a guy who wants to provide me credit card processing. I've heard the Youtube one about Mr. Mabe, the the murder scene. I'm wondering what is some way of dealing with these drones. Time wasters, for sure. I've got some time on my hands, and might be interested in a comical way of dealing with them. Maybe I should play along, and see how much of their time I can waste?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
On 11/18/2013 12:46 PM, WW wrote:

have a car and they say OK will remove you from theses calls. It is several different company's so I will keep this up until calls cease. WW
============================ I hope they do stop, but I doubt they will.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/18/2013 12:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sweet jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. . .
Son - these are criminals you're dealing with. As in, they are knowingly and willfully breaking the law. At the very least, they're violating the DNC list right and left. Plus, most of these telemarketers are not legitimate businesses. selling legitimate products or services. They are scammers out to make a quick buck.
I repeat. These are *criminals*.
So why, why, WHY do you think they'll quit breaking the law if you just ask them nicely?
Breaking the law is what they do. They're not going to change because you asked them to please stop doing that.
Don't waste your breath on them. Just hang up.
On 11/18/2013 4:49 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

as a service to others, to keep them occupied as long as I can. I figure they will harass 4,900 people today instead of 5,000, thus sparing 100 people the grief.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11-18-2013, 18:02, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And then have someone say "Got the trace!" and then you say "Thanks for staying on the line, sucker!"
--
Wes Groleau

“Statistics are like bikinis.
<stuff snipped>

My favorite is the 50th call saying "This is your final call regarding lowering your interest rate on your credit card account." I get at least four of those each week. You are right. They are scammers and politely asking them to stop being criminal pond scum is not likely to have the desire effect.

I think it's OK to at least have a little fun with them. If I am bored, I'll pretend to be either a little kid (like Howie Mandel's little Bobby) or a senile adult and try to see how long I can keep them going. My buddy can do a pretty flawless Cheech Marin impersonation and when we worked together he'd put them on the speakerphone to have a little fun. His masterpiece was zapping an Olan Mills Studio cold caller. He eventually wanted them to take "feelthy pictures" and they were so desperate to make a sale, they stayed on the line for almost 5 minutes. It was classic.
--
Bobby G.

On Monday, November 18, 2013 1:49:54 PM UTC-8, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

We were getting so many "robo" calls, where there's no human at the other e nd; the robot makes you wait a few seconds, then gets on the phone pitching [whatever].
You can also tell by the window on the phone whether it's someone you recog nize (unless they have blocked their number). Things like "out of area" or "private caller" are a giveaway,
I finally had it. Contacted the local office of my State Assemblyman. He had me send him the list I had been keeping - time, date, phone #. He did something with the State PUC and ***most of them stopped.*** He said after 30 days, if they continue, send him another list of time/date/number.
Wonder if they all -- or many of them -- emanate from a single robot center ?
HB

The window on the phone? I've got an old Bell Electric desk phone. No window, but it can be used as a blunt-force trauma weapon in a pinch.
Cindy Hamilton

On 11/22/2013 02:04 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[snip]

Most of the junk calls I've gotten recently have obviously spoofed names on caller ID. Often, the "name" is the same as the number (is your NAME really 429-555-4933?) or with a "V" followed by some digits.
Others include city/state (like "OGDEN UT") or meaningless company names (like "JBX RINCO").
I have a device (www.amazon.com/TeleBouncer-Blocker-TB1000-Block-Telemarketing/dp/B001GBDDJM/ref=sr_1_1) that answers the call with a "please press 1" message, pressing 1 makes the phone ring. I've never known a junk caller to press 1.
[snip]
--
32 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11/18/2013 12:46 PM, WW wrote:

I've not gotten the car warranty for years. Last time, I strung the guy out. I told him I had a '91 Buick Regal and it has 192,000 miles. Yep, that warranty sounds real good since I paid $3500 for the car just a couple of weeks ago.
I could hear the guy choking back a laugh, but he pressed forward, so I did too. He gave me a price and I agreed. Then he had to figure out how to get paid. Nope, I don't have a credit card, it is maxed out and late. Nope, no checking account. Can you stop by on pay day and I'll give you cash, half now, half next week?

That's good!

I should ask him to describe the three wires coming into my power box. Tell me about phase, and such.
Kept this list going for weeks.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11-18-2013, 14:36, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHmAYLVZJM4

--
Wes Groleau

A bureaucrat is someone who cuts red tape lengthwise.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=3-5-oz-Marine-Air-Horn&is465&r=view&cvsfa%86&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu733343635
On 11/18/2013 3:04 PM, tom wrote:

http://www.motivators.com/images/products/Promotional-PoliceWhistleGreen.jpg
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
On 11/18/2013 9:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

One of my pet peeves.
Our government is recording all calls phone numbers looking for terrorists but does not stop these thieves. I never expect to encounter a terrorist but have to put up with one or more of these crooks every day.
My best response was one to the guy who had a Nigerian type accent and wanted to know what time I would be home so they could deliver the $3 million from Publishers Central bureau. I told him I was having a very difficult time understanding him and wondered if there was someone there I might understand. He fumbled around and I asked if I could speak to a white person. All of a sudden this friendly guy turned and I could almost feel the wires burning as I hung up.
I was going to try it again yesterday to the woman that called from Microsoft about my computer virus but she hung up before I got to the punch line.