OT - Phillips Head Screws On Brake Rotors

Page 2 of 2
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Give 'em a dose of something from the auto parts store that loosens rusted-shut bolts.
Can't hurt.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you don't have an impact driver, still do what HeyBub advises, insert the screwdriver in the screw and then a sharp tap to the head of the screwdriver handle with a hammer. This can help to free it.

If you have a torch handy, heat the area around the screw head then throw cold water on it. The quick expansion and contraction will loosen the screw.
Don't even try a screwdriver. Go buy a $10 impact driver. It will take them right out with no damage.
Steve

When I'm in doubt, (ha, always) I use a hammer and the right sized screwdriver to give the screw a whack or two, helps frac any rust, then soak in penetrating oil. Coke works also.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I second the suggestion for the impact driver in the first reply. That is if they don't come out easy. You might be surprised. You can also '86 those screws after you get them out.
On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 09:56:13 -0500, Steve Barker

the assembly line and serve no real purpose when the vehicle is in operation.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

I'd keep them,as some models use those screws to push off the rotor from the hub when servicing the hub/bearings.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Update:
I went to a nearby franchise of Cole Muffler who I have used many, many times in the past. I know the manager - his kids play in a sports leauge that I help run.
He charged me $24 more to install 4 rotors than I could have bought them for at AutoZone. That's $6 per wheel...and that was after he knew that I had already changed the pads so he knew he wasn't getting that business.
It's not worth getting dirty for $24!