OT: Petraeus

Page 1 of 2
There seem to more partisans from both sides here than anyplace else I frequent, so I thought I'd throw this out and hear all the conspiracy theories.
The newsdroids I listen too are hinting that the future 'scandal' will be that nothing was made public until after the election.
I can think of ways that it might have been spun by either side to some tiny bit of advantage-- but doubt either would have gained much, and the risk in saying anything bad about Petraeus is/was high.
[The left could say - 'another R who can't control his dick' - and the right would point out that he is an Obama appointee]
If *I* was the head of the FBI, and no harm would come from delaying making the investigation public, I would wait until after the election just for clarity.
That said- does anyone think it was made public late for political purposes? By which side? Or was the timing just what it was.
Jim

You have a CIA head at least theoretically compromised should anyone want to try to exploit (small, but still possible chance I will admit). If *I* was head of the FBI I'd get it out as soon as I was comfortable with it if only for self-preservation. The FBI position is sorta like the Fed in that the President nominates, and Senate confirms, but the FBI is appointed for 10 years by statute (but in 2011 Pres. Obama asked and Congress okayed a 2 year extension) and can't be fired by the President.
FWIW, the current FBI head was appointed first by GWB, although the tenure was extended.

I'm waiting to see what Petraeus has to say when he testifies before Congress. Mighty odd this revelation comes just before he was scheduled to testify. If he has anything startling to say regarding CIA and Libya, or if his story doesn't jive with the WH, then one has to wonder what really went on here.
Bob F wrote:
(...)
Bob - why did you drop the "OT" in the subject like of your reply to this thread?
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'm sure political considerations entered into the decision, but not necessarily partisain considerations. Coming as it did some seven to ten weeks before the election, any release between the affair's discovery and the election proper would have sent howls up every pole in the country. By both sides.
My view is, if some event doesn't have anything proper to do with the election - but could influence the result - is properly delayed until after the votes are counted. Absent some compelling reason to the contrary, of course.
<stuff snipped>

Who are you and what did you do to the real HeyBub? (-:
-- Bobby G.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:18:02 -0500, "Robert Green"

Ya think?<g> I was wondering if it was a sign of the apocalypse that Heybub and I agreed on something.
Jim
wrote in message

Be on the lookout for cows giving birth to two headed calves.
-- Bobby G.

I was-- Heybub always struck me as more of a sailor.<BEG>
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote the following on 11/13/2012 8:28 AM (ET):

Hey, Hey! Without us Sailors, you Marines wouldn't be able to go anywhere. :-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

A person I went to nursing school with was a retired Navy medic who had served with Marine units. He was fond of reminding Marines that when it came to breaking things up and killing people they were the best in the world. HOwever, when it came to doing that required more finesse (such as, in his words, keeping their skinny little butts alive), they relied on the Navy.

The corpsmen in VN were the most revered guys in the unit. They were part Dr, part Mom, and part God.
Ours had joined the Navy to 'avoid the draft'. When he saw the opportunity to go to Corpsman school he jumped at it. He didn't realize until after graduation that Corpsmen took care of Marines. He carried a 45 that was a perfect brick of rust. He wasn't sure if there was a round in the chamber because he couldn't open the slide- or take the safety off. he called it his 'Quaker sidearm'.
God bless you Doc Witt, wherever you are.
Jim

-snip-
Thank god I never was on a ship. Closest I got was delivering nukes to an aircraft carrier in Norfolk. Driver and I drive out on this pier where the carrier is supposed to be. We see a sailor standing next to this big gray warehouse and ask him for directions to the carrier-- He points to the 'warehouse' behind him. I wonder if he was as amused by the exchange as we were, in retrospect.<g>
I *do* thank the Navy for the Corpsmen, and to a lesser extent all the Drs and Chaplains, though.
Jim

There is a lot of truth in that- but I stuck with your tense to avoid confusion.

My memory is terrible-- but I haven't gotten that impression.
Jim

I agree.
On 11/12/2012 9:51 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

No question which side it benefits.
Take away the scandal and Petraeus' testimony on Benghazi probably would have exploded the Obama administration.
He will not testify as scheduled now and what ever he says later will have been blunted. The liberal press will call it "old news."
The whole thing smells of Chicago politics.

Thanks for at least speculating on that. I will be shocked if Petraeus doesn't testify, though.

But why would the FBI be complicit in helping the president? The director is a Bush appointee, I think, and even if he was Obama's best friend-- there are a whole lot of lower level agents who are aware and would whistle-blow their asses off if something was shady.
The more I read about it, the more I begin to wonder if the real scandal might end up that the FBI looked into those emails [the Broadwell to Kelley ones] in the first place.
Jim

Finestein has already said he would appearing before her Senate Committee, although he might have a point about the old news part if put back too much. Especially in the Senate, the affair could be a nice way to soft pedal or at least bury the Benghazi lede.

NO they had a reason. Broadwell was sending threatening emails to another woman who complained. They were looking at this when they went after her e-mail account. As head of the CIA, I would think Patraeus's email accounts would more fair game.
-snip-

'harassing' emails. Not 'threatening'. I can't figure out why Kelley could call for an FBI investigation into harassing emails.
Sounds like it might have started with an agent doing her a favor- http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/twists-petraeus-case-another-general-accused-inappropriate-emails-162656131.html
Jim
On 11/13/2012 9:24 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I think it is in the timing as it was known before the election.
Politics are often abandoned in just trying to please your boss. I think it is human nature.