OT? Perhaps. Are You A Heavy Sleeper?

Is your alarm clock loud enough to wake you in the morning? I know a fellow who was so hard to wake that he took a lamp timer and a 120 volt

10" fire bell to use as his wake up alarm. I believe it spooked the neighbors too. This is a link to a video of steps one guy took to wake himself up in the morning. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Though I have not used an alarm in over 30 years, I do recall a guy in the dorm who needed a fire bell to wake him up.

Reply to
philo

On a slightly similar note, I just bought a new alarm clock for my basement. I don't need an alarm clock, just wanted a clock to put on a shelf so I could quickly glance up and see the time. I was actually replacing a really, really old alarm clock that died.

Anyway, instead of a snooze button, the new ($10) alarm clock has a "snooze leg". There are four really short "legs" on the bottom of the clock with a rubber pad on each one. Typical anti-skid set up. What's different in this case is that one of the front legs is actually the snooze button. If you hit the top of the clock just about anywhere, it closes the leg switch and sets the snooze.

Pretty interesting design. It's probably cheaper to make the case without a snooze bar on top and the user doesn't have to search for a snooze bar, he can tap the top of the clock just about anywhere. Your classic win-win.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:ld80vd $t4q$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

TDD.... he even fitted horns to give a stereo sound. LOL!

BTW haven't seen you post in here for a while. A2600 must be getting quiet.

Reply to
Jax

It's probably because when you wake up some ornery critters, they slam the darn alarm clock radio. Some of them need Nerf alarm clocks because some irritable types will throw an alarm clock across a room. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Heck Jax, I post here all the time and even have a fanboy what followed me from tx.guns and it is hysterically funny. It even uses part of my nym but it nymshifts quite often. I miss Hatter, he was much more entertaining to torment. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:ld8ikn $af8$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

TDD..... Hatter was the man, er, boy, er, child. He tried to be obnoxious but ended up being more than thoroughly pwned. However he did make for a lively group with long threads.... and I don't mean his lousy sig.

And I hope the two alarms on that clock were rigged to have some musical interplay!

Reply to
Jax

All the sane regulars ran off to that evil Faceplant where I refuse to go because it sets off my privacy alarm. I asked syco if he remembered that whacky thing "Tracker"? I think we both LOAO over that one. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas
[snip]

I consider a snooze button (or "snooze leg") to be a bad idea. Putting the alarm clock next to your bed is a bad idea too. These make it too easy to go back to sleep when you should be waking up.

When I used an alarm clock regularly, I had programmed my computer (across the room) to make a short (.5 second) beep at moderate volume (which was usually enough to wake me up), followed by a minute of silence (when I could get up and stop the alarm), followed by a longer period of alternating tones played loudly.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My problem is that most alarm clocks have a very high pitch chirp. Which is way into my hearing loss zone. Very often, I simply don't hear the alarm. I've found that if I turn the clock facing the wall, the chirper is towards me. More likely for me to hear it. The old Westclox with the mechanical buzzer were good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ever hear of a clock _radio_? There's bound to be a station that plays something within your range of hearing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ebay has a bunch of loud alarm clocks. One has 113db noise output, flashing lights, and a bed shaker.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

No, what's that?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are they nice bass note? Low pitch so I can hear?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It is a $10 item at Wal Mart. I just bought a new one and was amazed at what you can get for $10 to $25.

Where I live I can get two stations. One has the headline news when I get up so I know if Khrushchev sent the missiles to attack us during the night. If yes, I sleep in. If no, I have to go to work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to set 5 alarms all over the bedroom. I even begged people to call me. They wouldn't. Some years later, I heard of a service that would call you for a fee. I probably would have used them too!

My schedule was such that I might be working late one day and early the next. No set days off. So I was constantly sleep deprived.

Things are much better now. I only set three alarms most days but I do take them to bed with me. If I don't have to be up and somewhere, then I only set one alarm. I take it to bed with me too. The alarms are right next to my pillow.

Reply to
Julie Bove

There is an insensitive, Politically Incorrect joke I could make but you could easily have a job as an emergency medical care practitioner. I'm so proud of myself for showing incredible restraint. Geez I have a warped mind! ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas