OT Penn state university.

Page 3 of 4
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:09:55 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"
Re: OT Penn state university.:

That's like saying you shouldn't impose a large $$$ fine on a person because it would adversely affect his innocent family.

I certainly hope so.

The USA is uniquely different in that intercollegiate team sports have been ultra-popular for more than 100 years, i.e. are part of the national system of mass entertainment/professional sport/big business. This does not happen in other countries. Canadian university football is not televised, French universities maintain no sports teams, the only British intercollegiate contest to which the public pays attention is the annual Boat Race between Oxford and Cambridge at London.
Correlatively, it seems profitable for Penn State and its backers to build a 100,000-seat arena that is filled only six times a year. In other places this would seem economic insanity.
The momentum of popular business-financed sports is also relevant. City governments believe it is beneficial to have winning basketball or hockey or baseball teams in their city, thus can be persuaded to spend taxpayer dollars to subsidize sports stadiums, induce teams to relocate, etc. This has more to do with business activity than athletics or fitness.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 7/25/2012 8:54 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:

f money to broadcast Big 10 games

Canadian University football is INDEED televised and has been for many years. I always try to follow Queen's Golden Gaels games whenever I can
Certainly nowhere even close to the level of revenue that US university games receive, and ratings share are much lower than their US conterparts, however my point is that CIS football is televised nationally in Canada and is widely accessible to cable and satellite subscribers.
It is this years schedule for television:
http://english.cis-sic.ca/broadcast/football_sched
I can't find the French langauge schedules....
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:12:58 AM UTC-5, Duesenberg wrote:

And for all of these reasons, this should be a good, clear message to other college administrators that this is a no-tolerance situation. If they will take a program this size down, anyone is vulnerable.
And, sorry, I am not mourning for Paterno. The fact that school administrators didn't act after he learned of it, and blew a whistle, doesn't make him right. Lou probably had more horsepower at Penn that some of the administrators. He should have blow louder and kept blowing. What the hell were they going to do - fire him for reporting a child molestation? He, like others, buried his head. At the end of the day Lou Paterno was a coach. It doesn't matter if you are at the major college level, or pee-wee level, youth development and protection is then #1 mission.
He Failed!
RonB

at the major college level, or pee-wee level, youth development and protection is then #1 mission.

I had no idea that Joe's brother coached too.
On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:40:42 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

administrators didn&#39;t act after he learned of it, and blew a whistle, doesn&#39;t make him right.

you are at the major college level, or pee-wee level, youth development and protection is then #1 mission.

Oooops Joe, Lou, Larry, Curley, Moe. We know who I'm talking about.

Multiply 94,000 seats times eight games times $50 per ticket (add a little for hot dogs) and what do you come up with? Now add television royalties and post season play...
You really are dumb.

That's $37,600,000 leaves $26,400,000. Don't you do arithmetic?
So where does the rest come from and you're telling me they have no wage bill and other expenses?
Ah, they sell lotsa hot dawgs?
On 7/24/2012 2:00 PM, harryagain wrote:

Television provides a major source of revenue for large university football programs.
Penn State belongs to a conference called the Big 10 that earns 250 million US dollars a year from television rights. Penn State's share of that television money is close to if not over 20 million dollars.
Also there is additional money for playoff games called bowl games. Some bowl games pay out almost $20 million dollars to the winner. Bowl games pit teams of one conference against another conference. The winning team collects alot of money, the losing team stills collects money although not nearly as much.
In conferences the winners split the money. Usually in the big 10 the winner keeps half the winnings and splits the rest equally with the remaining schools int he conference.
Even if a Big 10 team loses a bowl game, they still get money from that game and split with the other teams in their conference. So normally Penn State collects money from games they don't play, although they can make way more if they do play those games. One of the sanctions is Penn state will be unable to collect that type of money for 4 years.
The Big 10 also is expecting to make between 20 million and 25 million dollars from a championship game they have every year JUST in tv rights alon, meaning Penn State's share is 2 million a year, even if they don't play that game.
Television is the main revenue stream in university football in America, at least for the biggest 60 or 70 teams.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We all know Brits can't read. ...or was it that collision with a cricket bat that made you the man you are today?
On 7/24/2012 9:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

My understanding is harryagain is British. He may not know how Universities earn income from football in America.
I could be wrong that he is British but I'm under the assumption he is.

He is a Brit but it has nothing to do with him not knowing about football. He's just an America hater. Actually, he hates everything.

He's an asshole, first; Brit second.

My name depends on if use Google or Evening September. I have given up on Google. .
There is no capitalsm or free market in America and no democracy either. You don't know the meaning of the words. You are a race of robotic, brainwashed serfs who only exist to keep the rich in wealth. Even if the rich fuck up, your money is stolen to bail them out. Your money is stolen by the government to finance for example foolish wars that further enrich the already wealthy. Their greed knows no bounds. As the poor get poorer they are still getting more wealthy. They have a foot on your neck. What you need is a revolution.

That's OK A lot of us have given up on you and only respond for the (very) cheap entertainment you provide
penn state really derserved the death penalty, and the university should of been required to pay all school tuition room and board costs for all football players that would of had to change schools....
a 10 year death penalty would of sent a firm message to all schools.
the penalty should of been so over the top that no other school would run the risk of ever allowing child abuse
the 50 million dollar fine is one years average profit according to local news. penn state will pay it over 5 years......
the penalty should of been 10 times the 50 million
and penn state should of been prohibited from accepting and donations of $$ for the lenghhth of the death penalty

Yeah, how about all those students that will have their lives disupted, that won't receive Penn State scholarships. Did they molest anyone? Did they know anything? So, why are they being punished for what a few dumb officials did?

Yeah, sure. Just like any other penalty has had a big effect on things like this.
Here's a novel idea. Why not prosecute the Penn State officials that were actually involved in knowing about what was going on and allowing Sandusky to stay there? Oh, yeah, that's apparently in the works, but the thirst for blood can't wait.

Why not just get a mob and go over there and burn Penn State to the ground. Makes as much sense.
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:41:41 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

been required to pay all school tuition room and board costs for all football players that would of had to change schools....

+1
I was for the (two year) death penalty, originally, but then thought about all the collateral damage that would do. The fine wasn't enough, though, and a little silly (the victims will get theirs in court). I haven't heard all of the penalties, yet, but they should lose all scholarships for some time (two or four years?). Of course, your point about prosecuting everyone with knowledge of the situation is right on target.
The message should be clear; coverups are not to be allowed.

Here's another thing to consider: The entire football program, including fans and alumni, were to "blame" in that the program became so huge that it pressured all the higher ups to ignore decency and law in favor of preserving university face. In that context the entire program had to be affected by the sanctions in order to return to some level of normalcy. To do anything less would only keep status quo at a level that might invite other problems in the future. Better to deal with it once, get it over with, and rebuild with pride.

Here's another thing to consider: The entire football program, including fans and alumni, were to "blame" in that the program became so huge that it pressured all the higher ups to ignore decency and law in favor of preserving university face. In that context the entire program had to be affected by the sanctions in order to return to some level of normalcy. To do anything less would only keep status quo at a level that might invite other problems in the future. Better to deal with it once, get it over with, and rebuild with pride.
Ah you Yanks are such greedy bastards. It is your downfall, the pursuit of money and bling.
When you get money into sport, it soon ceases to be sport. It's no longer about winning, just about money. Lack of moral principle.

It's not limited to us Yanks. Most Europeans feel the same about their soccer teams. It's a human emotion called "pride". And history tells us what happens when pride becomes a "god" in our lives. As Penn State just found out.