OT Penn state university.

ANd that eventually 20 people (MUCH lower down the food chain) will not be able to go to school on any kind of scholarship. That is also my main problem with mandating one and done in College.
Penn state university.:

College football in the U.S. generates billions of $$ yearly. It's big business and the players, who are required to play without pay, are very highly sort after. Those 20 probably already have multiple scholarship offers at other football-$$ colleges.

If they are any good at sports, they are scouted by other colleges, just as the pro teams scout and offer the good players a beter job. All the players do is sit back and take the best offer for them.
A local high school boy was great at basketball. Too dumb to score high enough on the SAT to get in college, so he had special coaching on the tests. He did not pay for any of that.

Let me try this one more time, I am obviously explaining this badly. I am sure that those 20 will go somewhere else. Who I am worried about is the 20 that won't get scholarships because of the 20 taken away from PSU. Since the number of scholarships in football is a finite number, if 20 scholarships at Penn State go away, then there are less scholarships in total from the Big 10, down the through the MAC and others.
Try it this way: 50 over all scholarships:
10 BCS 10 Non-BCS but big schools 10 Mid Major 10 Small Division 1 10 Other divisions that have scholarships for football.
1 scholarship is taken away That means, if no others are added anywhere else, that there are now 9 BCS, scholarships and one person who would have been been BCS is now playing Non BCS but big footbal. 1 who would have been non-BCS but big now has to go to a Mid Major. 1 who was a mid major will now go to a small division 1 small division player will now play for a Other Division team and 1 who would have played other other division is out of luck. It is the guy in the other division who won't be able to get a college scholarship because of the fall down from the BCS school that I think is getting screwed and why I am not a fan of taking away scholarships. Period. 1 who was a
On 7/25/2012 1:33 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I understood what you were saying and I agree with it the most part. Yes the top talent will go elsewhere (or maybe a few will actually stay!) but it's the removal of scholarships that affects those on the bottom of the rankings on Penn State's team. Those bottom ranked guys won't be asked to go elsewhere and those are the dudes that actually would have gone to class and get their degrees because they know their future never would be in professional football. The bottom ranked players lose the most!

Which is also my main thing with the one and done requirement in basketball. You get a lot of soon-to-be multimillionaires hanging out on campus at the expense of true student-athletes further down in the food chain.

take care of it. IIRC this was something that is part of the CBA so both the union and the NBA foisted it on the NCAA>

I always though that MLB was the only sport that got it right. You could go into college OR trade school (the minors). The really dumb conceit in the rest of the sports is that everyone HAS to go to college to play.

that said they couldn't.

On 7/25/2012 8:23 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Those scholarships should have been mandated to academic scholarships.
John

I disagree for the reasons outlined. The guys who aren't going to be able to East Gnaw Bone State in the Really, Really Small Colleges league are the guys hurt. Especially since, especially at Penn State, that just means someone who would have gone there anyway now gets a little off the list price.

Scholarships are fully transferable by the current recipients. They can stay at Penn State and use the scholarships. My limited understanding is the 'Lost scholarships will be available to be used at other schools so the net number of scholarships will not decrease.

That wasn't mentioned in the NCAA conference. If true it is the first time that has happened in any other scholarship take away. I hope it is right.
Penn state university.:

You do realize that they are talking about football scholarship used to recruit football players? Very few football scholarship holders (FSH) at a school like Penn State actually receive a college education. No teacher who wants to keep his job would dare fail a FSH in his class. Many FSHs never even show up for class. That's the way it works.

Maybe, but as I mentioned, non-football mill schools also have scholarships (Butler, Ball State, in my immediate area). These places actually graduate a large number of their people. Since there are a finite number of scholarships, those who would have gone to Penn State obviously will end up somewhere else. But if they don't expand the number of scholarships there will be a reshuffling all the way down the line until eventually 20 people won't get them. These 20 will be at the bottom of the list, and probably could actually use the scholarships.
On 7/24/2012 7:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The NCAA violated it's own due process with these sanctions. Penn State didn't violate any NCAA regulations with the sex abuse cover-ups so the NCAA is overstepping it's authority in these matters. The NCAA normally and almost always conducts it's own investigations but this time they are relying on an outside investigation.
Furthermore, the NCAA did not inform Penn State of upcoming sanctions and punishments in writing, as the NCAA is required to do.
Penn State actually could legally challenge these sanctions. They'd be idiots for doing so because public opinion alone would bury Penn State.
Because of the implications of challenging the NCAA on this matter, Penn State has instead signed off, rightfully so. Just accept the bad medecine and try to be the model school athletics program now.

boo-hoo, switch to a different school dummies!

If it's financial punishment that you seek, it's still coming in all the civil suits that are coming.
If it's criminal punishment, my understanding is prosecutors are currently considering charges against the officials involved. Based on the Freeh report they have good cases for perjury. In addition, they can likely pursue cases ranging from child endagerment, to conspiracy. The latter has penalties of up to 20 years. The case would be based on these officials in essence conspiring to enable Sandusky to commit his acts by knowing what he had done and still allowing him access to Penn State facilities that were key to him committing the crimes.
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 00:47:49 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Given that they allowed him access to the facilities, with the full knowledge of his previous acts, I'd add "accomplice in fact", to the list of charges, above.
On 7/24/2012 5:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

of tinkering around with little fixes that will have the shock value and far reaching effects that the NCAAs decision had. After all the rape of young boys was involved and covered up because of "the team" Where have you ever heard of a statue of a *living* person being erected at the entrance of a facility?

What sense does it make to punish the students, coaches, local businesses that depend on revenue from Penn State football games, etc. Not just now, but for years to come. They didn't molest anyone or know anything about what was going on. Those that did, ie the college officials, can be prosecuted and probably will be. They are the ones that should be punished, not students playing football. One of the dumbest decisions of all time.
{{
The reality is there is a mind set about collate sports. Unless and until someone puts some serious snap in their shorts (with a down hill haul) the abuse will continue. Perhaps not the same abuse but something just as perverse.

Stupid students. Get out of that hell-hole.