OT Penn state university.

Page 1 of 4
I was reading that Penn State University has been fined $60m for failing to root out pervs. (Money talks in the USA doesn't it?) We have plenty of pervs over here too BTW.
So where does a university find that sort of money?
<http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/23/usa-pennstate-idINL2E8INCC020120723
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:57:06 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:

&lt;http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/23/usa-pennstate-idINL2E8INCC020120723&gt ; Though they deserved the "death penalty" as to me college education should supersede college football.
$60 million is probably peanuts compared to what the abused kids are going to collect in law suits.

Asinine argument.

Likely true. The PA taxpayer is going to be paying that one.

{{
Like police abuse those that employ them pay the cost of not overseeing their actions.

Did the taxpayer have the opportunity to oversee their actions?

They hired those that did and like they say ... 'golden rule' he who owns the gold rules.
That said I would ask if those at the top are being left off the list.
As example Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett, "who has drawn criticism for his handling of the Sandusky investigation while serving as the state's attorney general and preparing for a gubernatorial run."
On 7/24/2012 4:35 PM, NotMe wrote:

borrow the money privetly, not from taxpayers.
Penn State will be making 5 payments of $12 million over 5 years.
wrote in message

That's going forward. The point I was making was the voters/tax payers were/are the ultimate boss and seems with the football culture as long as the team was winning anything was good. And I'm well aware of other schools/states with the same mind set.

And not anywhere near a sufficient amount to address the damages the abuse has visited on the kids and those that live with and love them. I speak from direct experience with foster kids and family court.
On 7/24/2012 2:57 AM, harryagain wrote:

It wasn't for failing to root out pervs, it was for covering up and thwarting attempts to root out pervs.
60 million is the fine because that's the typical revenue that Penn State football earns in a given year. Penn State is still allowed to play football this year so the majority of that fine money will come from this years earnings on football and the remainder on future years football earnings.
Penn State's stadium is the 2nd or 3rd largest stadium in the United States, holding 105 000+ fans. They host 6 games this year so that's 600 000+ tickets sold right there. They also play in a "league" called the big 10 conference that's considered a very wealthy and lucrative set of university teams. TV networks pay alot of money to broadcast Big 10 games including those that feature Penn State.
Finally my understanding is that no other sport or any other university function at Penn State is allowed to help pay ie. suffer funding cuts and that only the football operations can pay the fine.

In the Big 10, football and basketball pay for all of the other sports so there *will* have to be funding cuts if all the money goes for the fine. ...not that it shouldn't.

So, in view of all this, will people still go to watch?
On 7/24/2012 1:52 PM, harryagain wrote:

a long history of success. Games have been sold out for decades. I would imagine the stadium will still be sold out or close to it. Many of Penn State's opponents are large institutions that have a long and good history in football. Ticket prices might be falling and maybe people will sell tickets or not be as excited, but Penn State's stadium is a very unique stadium and it's still worth a visit to watch a football game there.
I am a very big fan of a rival of Penn State. My team is Ohio State. Our stadium is just slightly smaller than Penn States. My team is also being punished this year for covering up rule breakers, although not child assaults.
I Know that both fanbases are looking forward to this year's clash even though both teams are banned from making money and playing in highly lucrative playoff games. Right now they will be playing for pride.
We'll see if people are still passionate about Penn State 10 years from now. That'll be the test.

Sure, and they will still recommend Paterno for sainthood. Sport fans are loyal if nothing else. Crazy maybe, but loyal.

Dunno, they just gave him the Saddam Hussien treatment.

And covered it up for 14 years!!!

What sense does it make to punish the students, coaches, local businesses that depend on revenue from Penn State football games, etc. Not just now, but for years to come. They didn't molest anyone or know anything about what was going on. Those that did, ie the college officials, can be prosecuted and probably will be. They are the ones that should be punished, not students playing football. One of the dumbest decisions of all time.
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:09:55 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

You have a good point. What is your suggestion? Certainly something has to be done.

Fine and no bowl games is fine. But when you take away scholarships the people you are really punishing are the people who would have gone to college and now maybe can't. There are only so many scholarships and if you take away those from Penn State, the people who normally would have gone to PSU will still have options. But they will move people down to the lesser teams and people who might have gone to Ball State, Butler, etc., are on the street.
On 7/24/2012 7:43 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

The NCAA is currently considering allowing other institutions an increase in scholarship cap space to specifically address Penn State scholarship students whom wish to transfer.
So far they are only considering... Teams are currently allowed 85 scholarship places, except those teams on probation like Ohio State.
Penn State will be allowed 65, that it makes sense that 20 transfers will be asked for.