OT: PC noise when accessing a SSD?

Ok, this is very weird. The HD on my PC recently failed and since I don't need a huge drive, I took the opportunity to replace it with a SSD (flash). But I swear I can still here a slight sound when the PC is accessing the SSD. Today, out of curiousity I decided to investigate. The sound seems to be coming from the MB area, near the CPU. It's definitely not coming from the SSD. I downloaded a disk benchmark test. When the test is not running no sound. But with it pounding away on the SSD, there is this faint tingling, kind of metallic sound. As soon as I stop the disk test, the sound stops. I've also heard it when doing other disk intensive activity, like big file copy. It probably was there with the old HD too, but covered up by the sound of the HD.

I can't explain it. It's very bizarre. Since it's a faint metallic sound, seems around the CPU, could it be the heat sink? But I can't think of how or why that would be happening? There is a fan, but I stopped the fan and it made no difference.

Very happy with the SSD. My boot time went from 95 secs with the hard drive to 32 secs with the SSD.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 wrote: ...

some kind of rf signal to a speaker?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

trader_4 wrote in news:65a0c8a3-32e6-411f-aab2-7d7d21148cc9 @googlegroups.com:

Electronic circuits *can* make audible sounds. I first noticed this when I was about 16, doing homework late at night when the house was very quiet -- what the heck is that faint high- pitched noise? It was coming from my calculator, a Texas Instruments SR-50, when evaluating large factorials.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doesn't everyone have a *real* stethoscope in their toolbox? Cheap ones are under $10.

I guess if we're improvising, we could use an empty visine bottle for the pickup at the other end of the hose. Or if you're Canadian, lock de-icer.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

Magnetics in the power supply or electrical noise in the audio circuit via the speaker. Put an current meter on the AC line and Watch it. M

Reply to
makolber

Magnetics in the power supply or electrical noise in the audio circuit via the speaker. Put an current meter on the AC line and Watch it. M

Reply to
makolber

My guess would be thermal expansion of the heat sink when it heats up under load. Kind of like the way fins pop in electric heaters (baseboards for instance) when they heat up and cool down.

It's possible the heat sink does not have good thermal contact with the CPU, maybe poor quality or not enough thermal paste when it was installed.

Or, the heatsink could be defective.

Or, the fan isn't providing enough cooling. Try installing the CPUID hardware monitor and see what kind of CPU temperatures you get when testing the SSD.

You might also look at the temps of the SSD itself. It's possible it's overheating during the test and undergoing similar thermal expansion.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

It happens that trader_4 formulated :

Is the old HD still in line?

Reply to
Eagle

Good point. I added a stethoscope to My tool cab when My Wife retired from Vet care. Before that I used rubber tubing, small funnels and homemade clamps to listen to running engines. The stethoscope is just better looking as it performs just as well as My home-brew scope.

Reply to
Eagle

Doug Miller formulated the question :

You sure it wasn't brain feedback from very loud music? ^^

Reply to
Eagle

Dayam....never thought about those little bugers! That is a possibility Uncle M!

Reply to
Eagle

Anything switching current on a board can make sounds. Probably a magnetic field created by current acting like speaker.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Speaking of MOBO's, I had two fail within a year due to electrolitic cap failure around the CPU. The first was a first gen cap and the second was a solid electrolitic cap that wasn't supposed to fail but did. I finally decommissioed that tower and was given a DELL INSPIRON

660 tower. It came with W8.1 and was updated to W10. I wanted W7 installed, so I cleaned out the HD and loaded W7. For some reason, the 'puter wouldn't load the driver to get online. After a few rounds of cleaning and reloading, MS came to My rescue and issued Me a fresh code and W10 came to life. No W7, but I'm learning to apprecate W10 now.
Reply to
Eagle

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 9:46:51 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote: I finally decommissioed that tower and was given a DELL INSPIRON

I picked-up a Dell 660 from Craigs ($100) Quad (3rd Gen) i7 with 8Gb RAM...it has been a great set-up.

Reply to
bob_villain

No, the old HD has been disconnected.

Reply to
trader_4

I like mine as well, even though I didn't put this one together myself. :D

Reply to
Eagle

Sorry, an i5 quad!

Reply to
bob_villain
[snip]

Around 1991, I had a TV (25-inch CRT) with a very audible horizontal frequency. It was really annoying until I sold it to someone with hearing loss.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It prolly had a bad audio tube or a bad cap.

Reply to
Eagle

Intel is notorious for giving their processors a salable name to incrase the retail price of it's processors.

Reply to
Eagle