OT - PBS Special - "Super Skyscrapers"

I think that's wise, to stay closer to the ground. It's been years since I've been in a hotel or motel. I always bring my own smoke detector, and hang it on the inside of the door. I'm not much for night life, so I eat in the room. Have my clothes right in my suit case in case I need to exit rapidly. In case of fire, bring wet towels to breathe through, car keys, flash light. That kind of stuff.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

1800 is going down, Going up it's 5 fpm.
Reply to
micky

This one will be a LOT harder to knock down because it's so much stronger and the security is so much better. Who cares what those damn terrorists like or don't like or what they consider a "target" for their evil?

Did you see how they were parading about a military service dog they had captured, saying it had the rank of Colonel? Savages.

Reply to
Robert Green

You probably forgot to add in the Earned Income Credit. (-:

Reply to
Robert Green

One of my very first front page photos in the very defunct Washington Star was of a residential apartment tower that was coming apart in a very high wind. The building was not well-designed, aerodynamically - it was actually two L shaped buildings sited next to each other with a small gap between them like this |_ _| - the wind was entering the wide open space in the back and was funneled (and concentrated) by the design. The wind began tearing out the windows on both sides of the gap on the ninth floor on down.

First the window panels dislodged, then the curtains came flying out, then the blinds and after that, stuff from the inside of the affected apartments. I managed to get a picture of a huge window section and of the Venetian blinds suspended in mid-air. I only realized later one of those big panes of glass could have killed me (or anyone else on the ground) quite easily if it took a bad hop.

You could see during the Skyscraper program how windy it gets up at 1,500 feet. They had to redesign the spire (to remove the cladding) because wind tunnel tests showed it was likely to shear away in very high winds. They wanted to clad it to make sure the spire counted as part of the building, thus clinching the title of the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. The "tall building" commission gave the title to them anyway.

Those devices probably *weren't* in the building I worked in. It was really unsettling. The only time I experience worse swaying was when my Mom drove us across the newly opened Verazzano Bridge in a severe winter blizzard in a relatively tiny Olds F-85. God bless her, she kept her composure as big tractor-trailers were just sliding from lane to lane without warning. It took over an hour to cross the bridge because traffic was moving so slowly.

It was only decades later that she confessed that she had never been more scared in her life. She was certain the car was going to get swept off the bridge. FWIW, that bridge really, really dances around in very high winds. Not quite as bad as the Tacoma Narrows bridge (the one made famous by the film of it shaking apart in high winds) but I developed a life long fear of bridges after that incident.

Reply to
Robert Green

Back then I assume a LOT of people never even made it to age 26. I had no idea that some of the Founding Fathers were hardly old enough to BE fathers.

Reply to
Robert Green

They made a big point of the speed and said that the "follow on trades" couldn't keep up with just the outside hoist, which ran very slowly. So as soon as they could, they got the internal elevators working.

I don't build too many skyscrapers so it was news to me! (-: It reminded me of a story in one of my journalism text books about writing "feature" stories. The article described how riveters (in the old days, I guess) use to toss hot rivets around from where they were heated to where they were hammered in just using coffee cans as catcher's mitts. When asked what would happen if he dropped a red-hot rivet to the streets below the rivet jockey said "Well, he's not *supposed* to drop it!"

Reply to
Robert Green

...snip...

The Verazzano Narrows bridge was the first place I drove a car over 100 MPH.

I had about 6 months between high school and USCG boot camp. My best friend's older brothers owned a bagel shop in Queens and they hired me to deliver fresh bagels to stores in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. It didn't take me too many early morning trips across the bridge to notice that the police in Brooklyn stayed in Brooklyn and the police on Staten Island stayed on the island.

2 miles of open highway, no cops, and rarely a lot of traffic at 5 AM...what's a teenager to do? 110 MPH in a Chevy station wagon loaded to the roof with a couple of hundred dozen bagels, that's what!
Reply to
DerbyDad03

You can see scenes of riveters tossing rivets in a couple movies from the 30's and maybe the late 40's.

Reply to
micky

I heard that they had to wait until an elevator full of people needed to go down to act as a counterweight that lifted the elevator occupants at the ground floor.

Reply to
Robert Green

leads to a lot of interesting hits.

says:

Plus, the occasional red hot rivet hitting a pedestrian had to raise the costs. (-:

Here's something else about rivets v. bolts I did not know:

The article describes the process of riveting in the old days:

Reply to
Robert Green

principle, but it is ROUNDED. Astonishingly graceful.

The design for the new One World Trade Center uses a square base that transforms into a square top that's rotated like a 8 point star. Very easy to see how it works with a computer animation, harder to show in a still photo:

(Published: Tuesday, August 7, 2012, 8:07 PM - old, but it makes the design quite clear)

A lot of reviews panned the design but I think it's pretty elegant. It's easy to like a building after watching how hard the people worked to build it and how much of their heart went into it.

Reply to
Robert Green

It's remarkable how much they knew with the little technology the had for education. Granted, they were probably the cream of the crop but those were some sharp people. Maybe they were better off not having American Idol as a distraction.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman