OT Paying by credit card over the phone

Page 3 of 3
Metspitzer wrote:

Tell then that if they don't take your order over the phone, that you'll simply take your business to the parts counter of the closest Ford dealership.
Which I would guess would sell you that same part for less than what Advance is quoting, given that Advance has to buy it from a Ford dealer (or a Ford parts depot) and will apply their own mark-up to the price.

The trade gets about 20% off consumer-retail for OE auto parts. They add that back when they sell to the consumer, so your buy price at Advance will likely be pretty close to what you would pay at the dealer. Unless that particular Advance store is clueless and jacks the price to the point where consumers will notice...
--
Tegger

Oh yeah. More and more places are refusing to take credit card orders by phone. And fraud is the problem.
My wife works for a bank, and she has to attend all their fraud seminars. Fraud is the primary reason the interest rate is so high on credit card balances: Somebody's gotta pay for all that fraud.
--
Tegger

I can understand that fraud would be a problem for the bank but not for the merchant. Ok maybe I can, but it still sucks.

The merchant still needs to pay his suppliers, usually in 30-days. Less if he wants to take advantage of 2%-in-10 or other deals offered by the supplier. Then he needs to wait to get reimbursed by the bank. This takes time, and time affects cash-flow. Since most businesses only get to keep about 5%-15% of their gross, late payments can be devastating, and failure to manage cash-flow often results in bankruptcy, or at least loss of credit with suppliers and a bad reputation.
Plus, this would need to be done one-by-one, for each instance of fraud. The labor alone would be a killer.
So they're careful about who they allow to pay by phone.
Yes, it sucks.
--
Tegger

I've found that dealerships generally won't give a consumer ANYthing off retail unless he buys a lot of parts from them.
A consumer who buys a lot of parts may get 10% off, but I think would be very unlikely to ever get more than that. Greater discounts are reserved for the trade, which may get 15%-25% off, depending on their volume and relationship with the dealer.
--
Tegger

On 11/9/2011 8:34 AM, Tegger wrote: ...

Well, one just walking in off the street, I'd not expect anything different.
OTOH, if one has established relationship w/ a dealership, one may have a totally different experience.
We've dealt w/ a particular dealership here since trucks began to replace wagons for farm use and anything needed is on account. Discount from list varies some but is generally 20% although occasionally negotiate a little on really major items (like the front transfer case gearset last year :( ). Shop rates are fixed, though, unfortunately, but they're entitled to make a living, too...

How'd you find that out?

I can only speak for my own experience.
I couldn't say exactly what percentage of discount I have enjoyed on my measly 5 purchases (total ~$1000) from 2 (Ford) dealerships, but I remember being really happy every time. -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

To me that is bull! Any dealership I go, there is a parts counter. They are more than happy to sell you whatever you want. This summer we had to rebuild son's car engine damaged from oil pump pick up tube problem. Every thing I need starting with a short block I got them all from a local dealership(Subaru). Not in stock items they ordered all for us. Dealers really make money selling parts and servicing the cars they sell.

On 11/9/2011 10:39 AM, Tony Hwang wrote: ...

The question was whether they discount walkin traffic, not whether they would sell at list.

I didn't understand to whom or what he was addressing, but to avoid any confusion I think the question was whether they -might- offer a discount.
I don't consider myself the average walk-in traffic, either.
I call ahead with my year, make, model and part number/s and always have my poop in a group so I don't waste his possibly commissioned sales time, and I get his/her name, and write it down, and I use it.
Then, because I have a local dealer background, I can use "industry speak" and/or mention I worked with the local dealer king when we were both "trotting the lot". Chances are decent, even.... 25 years later... we know someone in common.
As a "real" (trained*) salesman one of my best skills is finding and establishing some sort of common ground from which to quickly being and forward a relationship.
And, I'm pretty good at getting strangers to like me. In these instances I might say, "Boy, they're pretty proud of that, aren't they..?!". Doesn't sound like much, I know, but it's all in the delivery and timing.
The point is, IME, they can and will extend a discount to an owner.
I think I already said that... Jezus this is a tough room.
*As an example of sales training is the re-re-re-introduction ad nauseum technique ( That's my term, I don't remember the actual.)
Psychologically, people feel they know you better and become more susceptible to your suggestions when they have met you more than once, and the time between those meetings can be surprisingly short.
You just excuse yourself for a few minutes... for anything. For example, you leave/forget everything in the car and tote it in one piece at a time. You ask to use the bathroom, etc.
People feel they have met you x times (I think the optimum is 5) and know you better and therefore trust you more, and you can squeeze those 5 different "meetings" into 15-20 minutes.
Bonus (2): "Real" salespeople know you can listen someone into buying something a lot easier than talking them into it.
That can be as simple as repeating back the customer's objection as a question, and then shutting the fuck up: "We can't afford that." "You can't afford it...?"
Or, alternatively, "Is is that you can't afford it, or you just don't think you deserve it...?"
Or, you can just look at them, quizzically, as if you're wondering why they are wasting your time contemplating buying something they know would not be cheap.
The important part is shutting the fuck up. You don't want to cough, sneeze, fart, clear your throat or suck air through your teeth. (And you would not believe how hard that can be to learn/do, even once you know it!)
I can't tell you how many times I've seen those work. People will sit right there and convince themselves, aloud, the last thing they told you was a lie, even if it's true!
That might be the basis for the old joke: How can you tell when your customer is lying? A: Their lips move.
The end... -----
- gpsman
On 11/9/2011 1:00 PM, gpsman wrote: ...

Again, I wasn't responding to you but to the tony...
I will say, however, it would be the most unusual dealership I ever saw that gave the parts counterman leeway to decide which customer he's giving which discount based on anything other than the account.
We have an account at dealerships of the varietals which use; I know what to expect there. If for some reason it required something from another I have no expectation would get anything except list even if I were the Pope or the Prez or the counterman's brother unless the blanket policy was such.

And I didn't respond to you but to Tegger. Maybe the GG interface is in another of its sharting fits...

I don't know. I got a $700 windshield for $150 (from a glass shop, not a dealer/'90 Geo Metro), ostensibly just by calling back the next day and saying, "This is gpsman at gpsco". They didn't ask for a tax ID or nuthin'.
Of course that was Montana, where there is no state sales tax... but I routinely negotiate discounts from sale prices at stores like Macy's.
It's not hard. You just make an lesser offer and they rarely fail come back with -some- additional discount, free delivery, warranty, etc..
If they can, of course, and/or if they think they might be stuck returning it to the distributor. It has to make sense to them. If they let me walk I know I need to step up. -----
- gpsman
On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 11:00:08 -0800 (PST), gpsman

Yeah, yeah. I'm guessing dealerships only give the discounted price to those with a parts account. Anyway, last time I was "friendly" with a dealership parts guy was at a Chevy place. When GM was going bankrupt. Mentioned something positive like, "They'll pull through." So he starts ragging on the UAW. Pissed me off, because I was there paying too much for a badly designed part - don't remember which one, but it was dealer only. I shut him up by holding the part up in his face and asking, "Did the UAW design this piece of shit?" You can butter up these guys all you want and maybe they'l throw you an o-ring every five years. Polite is enough for me.
--Vic

I just bought some shocks, went online @ Advanced Auto Parts. If you put the code #P20 in, you get 20% off. So, figure I'd just run down to Advance & get them over the counter for same price. NOT! Told me go home, order online for the discount, mark it for pickup @ whatever store and head down to the store in about an hour. Anyways, that's the only way to get 20% off, so I did it. Glad there are 3 of their stores within 7 miles of my place.