OT Passport expiration

This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

Reply to
KenK

Another option is to renew your passport before you go. Just sayin'

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mines about to expire too. Not going anywhere but like to have it.

If your state issues the new secure drivers license it may be as acceptable as a passport.

Wife and I got them at our last drivers license renewal (DE). Required a lot of ID. PITA for women as if they have adapted a married name they need proof of marriage.

Reply to
Frank

FWIW, I think a driver's license can get you across -- depending on the mood of the border guards. OTOH, if you look hispanic...

I check mine every New Year's (for want of a better time). So, I've known this was the year for yet-another-mugshot...

Reply to
Don Y

How hard is that? I've got my marriage certificate in my filing cabinet. Also the marriage certificate and divorce decree from my first marriage.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Many people don't keep "vital documents" in a convenient place.

MD was surprised that I could tell him which childhood vaccinations I'd had -- along with the DATES of each -- by putting him on hold for 45 seconds.

Reply to
Don Y

Check the regulations, some countries allow citizens to return on an expired passport up to 6 months before the "best before date", US may be the same.

Reply to
EXT

Es facil de aprender (it's easy to learn). Repita (repeat): cervesa, por favor (beer, please)

Reply to
dadiOH

If you look hispanic, they try to sign you up for food stamps, and SSD? Voter registration card with a list of Democrat candidates?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep, I'm getting one of those enhanced licenses this year. Minnesota is one of those liberal states who thought they were above the government ID mandate, so the current license will soon not be accepted at airports, and other places, as proper ID.

Reply to
SeaNymph

Women need those extra papers. My wife keeps important stuff in our safe deposit box. Few weeks ago I traded in my old car for a new one. Did this on a Saturday but bank was closed for weekend and Monday holiday. Just extra work to do.

I see from Oren's response that he had trouble. We had no trouble but probably took in more than we needed.

Reply to
Frank

Spanish lessons down there would be cheaper than the renewal charges. You can probably find a job at a tequila factory, maybe as a taster. Or start a drug cartel.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Some don't. A friend with 30 days left on her passport was not allowed to board the plane to go to Italy for a week let alone worry about a return.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Learn all the conjugations of chingar and you'll be okay.

Reply to
rbowman

I can relate. I'm right on the border of Canada and I don't speak Canadian.

Reply to
Meanie

They last 10 years and then you have to have it renewed for about $85.

Reply to
Frank

You can get a sort of Passport Lite that's good for Canada. I'm not sure about Mexico.

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman wrote in news:dkf14vF9uclU4 @mid.individual.net:

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. $85 for a 10-year passport to Mexico is pretty expensive. It wasn't that long ago when all you needed was a driver's license.

I'll have to look on Google. Not sure of what to search for. Maybe

'mexico only passport'

Reply to
KenK

KenK wrote in news:XnsA5C86C0AA4DB5invalidcom@130.133.4.11:

Evidently it's $110 now! A passcard gets you into Mexico (and other places) at $30 but uou need a passport book to get the card - $140.

Reply to
KenK

Nope 10 years, $55

Adults (Age 16 and Older)

Validity: 10 years

First-Time Applicant Cost: $55

Previous Passport Holder Cost: $30

If you are interested in applying for a U.S. passport card but you have never had a U.S. passport book or are not eligible to use Form DS-82, you must apply in person using Form DS-11.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski