OT Passport expiration

Page 1 of 2
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!
On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 11:30:26 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

Another option is to renew your passport before you go. Just sayin'
On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:

Mines about to expire too. Not going anywhere but like to have it.
If your state issues the new secure drivers license it may be as acceptable as a passport.
https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they
Wife and I got them at our last drivers license renewal (DE). Required a lot of ID. PITA for women as if they have adapted a married name they need proof of marriage.
On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 2:27:38 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

How hard is that? I've got my marriage certificate in my filing cabinet. Also the marriage certificate and divorce decree from my first marriage.
Cindy Hamilton
On 3/9/2016 1:02 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Many people don't keep "vital documents" in a convenient place.
MD was surprised that I could tell him which childhood vaccinations I'd had -- along with the DATES of each -- by putting him on hold for 45 seconds.
On 3/9/2016 3:02 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Women need those extra papers. My wife keeps important stuff in our safe deposit box. Few weeks ago I traded in my old car for a new one. Did this on a Saturday but bank was closed for weekend and Monday holiday. Just extra work to do.
I see from Oren's response that he had trouble. We had no trouble but probably took in more than we needed.
On 3/9/2016 1:27 PM, Frank wrote:

Yep, I'm getting one of those enhanced licenses this year. Minnesota is one of those liberal states who thought they were above the government ID mandate, so the current license will soon not be accepted at airports, and other places, as proper ID.
On 3/9/2016 9:30 AM, KenK wrote:

FWIW, I think a driver's license can get you across -- depending on the mood of the border guards. OTOH, if you look hispanic...
I check mine every New Year's (for want of a better time). So, I've known this was the year for yet-another-mugshot...
On 3/9/2016 2:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

If you look hispanic, they try to sign you up for food stamps, and SSD? Voter registration card with a list of Democrat candidates?

Check the regulations, some countries allow citizens to return on an expired passport up to 6 months before the "best before date", US may be the same.
On 3/9/2016 3:09 PM, EXT wrote:

Some don't. A friend with 30 days left on her passport was not allowed to board the plane to go to Italy for a week let alone worry about a return.
KenK wrote:

Es facil de aprender (it's easy to learn). Repita (repeat): cervesa, por favor (beer, please)
On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:

Spanish lessons down there would be cheaper than the renewal charges. You can probably find a job at a tequila factory, maybe as a taster. Or start a drug cartel.
On 03/09/2016 09:30 AM, KenK wrote:

Learn all the conjugations of chingar and you'll be okay.
On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:

I can relate. I'm right on the border of Canada and I don't speak Canadian.
On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 11:30:26 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

They last 10 years and then you have to have it renewed for about $85.
On 03/10/2016 05:27 PM, Frank wrote:

You can get a sort of Passport Lite that's good for Canada. I'm not sure about Mexico.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. $85 for a 10-year passport to Mexico is pretty expensive. It wasn't that long ago when all you needed was a driver's license.
I'll have to look on Google. Not sure of what to search for. Maybe
'mexico only passport'

Evidently it's $110 now! A passcard gets you into Mexico (and other places) at $30 but uou need a passport book to get the card - $140. <sigh>
On 3/11/2016 12:47 PM, KenK wrote:

Nope 10 years, $55 https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html
Adults (Age 16 and Older)
Validity: 10 years
First-Time Applicant Cost: $55
Previous Passport Holder Cost: $30
If you are interested in applying for a U.S. passport card but you have never had a U.S. passport book or are not eligible to use Form DS-82, you must apply in person using Form DS-11.