OT Paperless

Page 2 of 2

And I asked how a bank statement wouldn't be sufficient and was ignored.
Face it, you don't need old checks around. They only serve a purpose for verifying the validity of a transaction. Afterwards, you need only the transaction list.

The IRS requires the cancelled checks, you weren't ignored, I just was a little too subtle in my reply (g).

bullshit. Bank statements are sufficient. Most banks don't provide returned canceled checks nowadays anyway, another fact that you ignored.
Get online for a canceled check image if you feel a need to verify the handwriting and signature, but otherwise, a bank statement is sufficient. It proves that there was a transfer of funds.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Sorry, bank statements don't cut it when all the statements show are the check number, when it cleared, and the amount. I could write a check to myself, for the amount of any bill, cash it, and claim that paid the bill. Without the canceled check, no proof of payment, period.

My bank statements come with a picture of the check showing it was cancelled.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

In our case, the judge said he had to see the signature on the back. Our bank imaged just the front of the checks. The only thing that saved our $1300 was a year end summary that showed the payment they claimed they didn't get. <><>
Many years ago, a postmark on an envelop saved my backside. I've saved everything since then ;-)

again bullshit. There's the concept of a transaction and it involves a transfer of funds from one person to another. If you cash the check, it hasn't transfered any funds to the other party. The statement will show it either going to you, or to cash.
You're not very bright, are you?
AZ Nomad wrote:

Pot-Kettle-Black. Not all financial institutions list the payee on the statement. Don't assume your little corner of the universe is how the rest of the world does things.

No, his statement is like mine only showing #, date and amount. Nothing at all on the statement about who got it. What part of "the statement doesn't show who it is going" are you having trouble coming to grips with.

You right. I was wrong.
I've been doing electronic payments for so long, that I've forgotten the difference between check and EFT.
And by the way, I always save the payment confirmation codes in a file in a payments directory. I just don't use little bits of trees for storing files.
On 08/02/08 08:54 pm Kurt Ullman wrote:

About 25 years ago, the Australian equivalent of _Newsweek_ printed something to the effect of "The US Banking system is so quaint: they still shuffle paper checks [except that they spelled it correctly: "cheques"] from one bank to the other."
Perce
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:39:06 -0500, AZ Nomad

Tax audit.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Unless <their> database barfs, and you happen to be disputing a series of charges. Not real common, I'll admit, but it does happen.
-- aem sends...

Name an example.
aemeijers wrote:

I have had that happen in two cases. One was a little bizarre because it was a from a business that had purchased another business and apparently they were combing through old records looking for money and decided I hadn't paid invoices that were almost three years old.

And the bank lost their records of the transaction?

Paperless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went automatic payment because was going to be away for three to four months, last winter, although someone was picking up my mail for me. Returned home to find the cell phone provider from whom I do not receive a monthly bill as a condition of the original cheap prepaid deal had changed the contract on me; only sending out a regular mail 'information' letter that of course I had not seen! Now back it's one few items for which not receiving a monthly 'paper' invoice! Might accept an automatically e-mailed invoice; provided that had an arrangement whereby I would 'acknowledge receipt'. And then if not acknowledged they would then 'postal mail' it!
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 10:41:51 -0700 (PDT), terry

Emailing it is the best solution. I don't know why snail mail has worked for years and an email wouldn't. For some unknown reason the utility companies want you to log onto a web site to get an ebill. It is unnecessarily complicated. I have been using direct draft for at least 3 years and usually throw my paper utility statements in the shredder without opening them.
Bank statements may need special treatment, but I was talking about a utility bill, not a CIA document. The bank could send you a yearly summary in a special passworded file or something for you to keep for you tax records.