OT Paperless

Page 1 of 2

Going paperless would be a good thing except for one thing. It is too complicated.
I was trying to change my phone features online. They wanted me to agree to go paperless so I said ok Why not? I am having to log on anyway.
So.............You have to furnish your phone number..... ok.....then You have to furnish your last 4 ss number ok then They want to send you a conformation number by phone or mail (no email) ok then Pick your username ok I try my email address. Too many characters ok I pick my nickname..........Name already in use ok
Now.........what is your favorite pets name 2nd question........................ NO! No fragging second question. Send me my bill in the mail. Screw you and your horse. We are talking about a phone bill not a CIA document!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why not use your email address and let them email you a password? End of story.
If they make paperless user friendly, I will do it. Not until. You shouldn't have to ever log in to a web site to get your statement. Just email the statement. Screw the cloak and dagger stuff.

I'd recommend you have your neighbor's nine year old set it up for you. It's trivial for anybody who isn't a moron.

Not neccesarily. I went paperless with my phone bill.
When I had a problem, I called their 800 number to ask about the offending calls on my wireless bill.. "Ah yes",she says "I see them, but I can't tell you what they were. You have to go online to get that information."
So I go to their web site. When I try to login it says my password is wrong. But this is the password on my magic list of passwords that hasn't changed in a long time. So now I click the link that will let me reset the pass word. Now I get the challenge question popup. I should pick a question from the list to prove it is me.
Next problem, There aren't any questions to answer. I set this up before they changed the system and the question list is empty. OK it says click here and we will text you a new pasword. If they can't text it they will send it by snail mail after 48 hours. Well my wireless phone is not quite an antique, but it won't receive text, it doesn't take pictures or movies. It doesn't have GPS capability. It is what I wanted . It is a telephone and nothing else.
Four days later I get the snail mail with my new password.
Do you think the phone company is just a bit out of control?
I won't tell you the name of the company, but you can fill in the blanks, V-r-z-n.
As the comedian says "Is this a great country or not?"
Charlie
Never go paperless unless you either get something in return (Citibank paid me $40) or you're going to be homeless.
do_not_spam snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote in

What kind of sanity checks do they have for going paperless? I always declined it as well as biller submitted drafts fo pay a bill.
Receiving bills paperless: What if I don't/can't get it like computer go to crap, goes into email la-la-land, etc. (both have happened to me).
Drafts: What if Pedo in Brazil gets hold of my phone number and somehow runs up a $300 bill? They draft it from my account and on top of that I start getting legit payments/checks bounced?

I tried going paperless, but my hand got all sticky.

I'd say you were full of shit... then your hand became full of shit.
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 20:04:11 -0700 (PDT), do_not_spam snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote Re Re: OT Paperless:

Good policy. T-mobile gives me a $1/month credit for being paperless. I require a monthly statement from everyone else.

Yeah, the desk isn't complete without reams of useless old bills cluttering the place. They go perfectly with the receipts handed to me for every insignifigant purchase. If I spot an error and get a twenty five cent refund, I want another bit of a dead tree to commemorate the experience. The refund isn't enough, I have to have the bit of dead tree to prove it really happened. I save them all as an heirloom. Seeing every phone call I've made embossed on a dead tree makes the experience complete.
If I want to look up a bill, I go online. Paper bills are as worthless as junk mail.

Depends on your circumstances. I still get the paper phone bill (for instance) because I need a paper copy for tax purposes anyway. I figure I might as well have them send it to me so I don't have to remember to print it out every month myself.

bills that I need for tax purposes, I save to a folder for the year's taxes.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Try getting a copy of both sides of a 4 year old canceled check on-line from your "safekeeping" checking account ;-)
Then call that bank for a copy ;-)
Some banks dump their copy/image in as short as 18 months.

I like the irony of paying the phone company for internet access so they can then bill me on-line. If only I could charge everyone for the time and expense of paying their bills.
-- larry/dallas

Try getting a copy of a canceled check from the current statement. Most banks copy and dispose checks. You'd better learn how to operate a web browser, email client, and computer file system if you want to live in this century.

WTF would I need a 4 year old canceled check for? It takes you 4 years to realize that a check wasn't cashed or was fraudulantly written? I know within the month. Once a transaction is complete, I don't care how it was paid. The bank statement showing the money transfer is enough.

Statute of limitations on tax fraud is 6 years. If audited they can require canceled checks for anything and everything. Even "normal" stuff is 3 years.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Why would they want cancelled checks for anything that you didn't claim as a deduction?
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

I thought it was 7, but either way it's a reason for keeping records for longer than just a short time certainly.

The bank would know which check to hold on to because you used it as a deductible item or not???? :) (IOW, it really doesn't matter for what reason one may need a record--if needed, it's needed).

dpb wrote:

Who said anything about banks? Why would the IRS want cancelled checks for anything that wasn't a tax deduction? Or does "anything and everything. Even 'normal' stuff is 3 years" subsume only tax deductions?
If you're claiming it as a deduction, you should have the check or a certified copy of same in the folder with your tax records.
--John

The question was why someone would want *A* (I interpreted that as in singular, one, uno, etc.) 4 y/o check and the reason to keep *A* check for 4 years or more was to document *A* deduction. Don't remember where it got off on all.

The fraud is 6 (at least according to the website although I don't know if that changed recently), but it starts from when the taxes were due, April 15th 2008 for 2007 taxes. So technically the SofL on 2007 taxes doesn't expire until April 15, 2014. My CPA (and others) tells me to hang on for seven years (in other words hold my 07 taxes stuff until 2014) to avoid confusion more than anything else.

They wouldn't. The question was WTF would one need a 4 year old cancelled check for. The answer was above.