(OT) Pants length for men

Was the winking smiley face too subtle of a mechanism for conveying the humor associated with my post?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

My wife does mine on a 1912 era Singer treddle machine, parts are available for it, but getting harder to find. I have a 37" inseam,

36"pants are too short, 38" just a bit too long, when I can find them.
Reply to
FrozenNorth

They make some FANTASTIC sewing machines and sergers. Not cheap, mind you!!!

Reply to
clare

Forget "secure ID cards" - you will be microchipped and branded. = LIKE DOG (666?)

Reply to
Tony944

My wife has two of them. You could buy a nice used car instead.

Ed Pawlowski

And I thought they only made chainsaws!

Reply to
Paintedcow

That ship has sailed. I am ready for my chip but it won't be long before they are just sampling your DNA, comparing it to the database and popping you up on the screen. If it makes it easier to get on an airplane, sign me up. It is almost impossible not to be tracked now tho. They are scanning your tag on your car more places. Credit cards and phones are tracking devices and if you are online, everything you do it tracked. If you live off the grid, only barter or use cash and don't own a car, your cyber shadow will attract attention. They still know you are there and the fact they can't match you to a known person, makes you a suspect. We may be living in the last generation of people who can actually be anonymous.

Reply to
gfretwell

Bish's is latex based and does turn brown with age. However, The Painted Cow was worried about his cuffs dragging in cow manure so I don't think that will be a problem. I've never had it bleed through on denim anyway but you wouldn't want to use it on your wedding gown.

Reply to
rbowman

Chain saws... Just stag them like a lumberjack.

Reply to
rbowman

It was also taught to adolescent Marines but we didn't have sewing machines.

Reply to
rbowman

I used to have a surger when I sewed professionally. Now, I just have my Pfaff.

Reply to
Muggles

So, being latex doesn't that make it water soluble?

Reply to
Muggles

What is a Surger? (or a Pfaff)? Are those brands of sewing machines or what?

Reply to
Paintedcow

Yea, especially those on alt.home.repair who have a usenet cam hooked up.

Plus I think Trump is gonna require all cows to wear clothing as soon as he gets in office.

That sounds like a good suggestion. I'll have to call some fabric stores and see who sells it around here. Unless Walmart has it, I will have to go to a big city to get it.

Am I supposed to roll the hems to the INSIDE of the pants, or the OUTSIDE? I know that if I roll them up, to the outside, they always fill up with hay and other stuff, which makes a big mess in the house when I take the pants off. But if it's glued down, that might not be a problem.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I suppose if you soaked it but it holds up under washing. We used it on manties and it holds up well with rough wear and rain. A manty is a tarp you wrap your gear in for packing.

There's a picture of a Decker saddle with manties. This is Decker country.

Reply to
rbowman

A Pfaff is the brand of sewing machine I use. It does about 100 different stitches and decorative embroidery... is also programmable, but I didn't use that feature very often. The machine I have is 24 years old and still functions perfectly. My only issue was it needed the presser foot mechanism cleaned about a month ago. Pfaff makes very good machines.

The other machine is a type of sewing machine. It can have up to 5 threads and also a bobbin. It sews the seam, and cuts and trims the seam at the same time. Most professionally made clothing uses surgers on most seams. BTW, I'm not sure of the spelling... surger or serger? I used my 4 threaded surger so much I wore it out.

Reply to
Muggles

Super Walmart usually carries it in their fabric dept. The generic works just as well as the name brand.

OUTSIDE? I know that if I roll them up,

With pants right side out fold hem to the INSIDE.

Reply to
Muggles

Interesting! Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Muggles

Great, thanks. So I should turn the pants inside out, to iron on this stuff on the hem, and when it cools, turn the pants back to normal, and the hem will be on the inside. I can do that!!!!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

This sounds like some high tech machinery. I'm familiar somewhat with the old machines where all it does is make the needle go up and down. That is all they did. That's how my mothers machine worked, probably from the 50s. I never understood why she had to roll bobbins and put them under the machines deck, when there was a full spool of thread on the top...

Reply to
Paintedcow