OT: "Palestinians" ?

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Actually, no.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exodus_%281960_film%29
The film was made before the mythology was fully developed so it shows the attempt to illegally enter the Palestine Mandate by Jewish refugees, the bombing of the King David Hotel, the role of Irgun, and so forth. Sure it is Hollywood, but a movie is not going to be made in 2014 that shows Israel's roots in terrorism.
The 'Exodus' in question is a ship:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Exodus
The British, as they were wont to do after destroying their nation with two unnecessary wars, caved in.

You are right. I confused my movies. Sorry
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 06:53:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

It really sounds like they did. A bunch of Eastern Europeans moved in with guns, shot a lot of people and declared they owned a country they never lived in before. Isn't that the definition of an invasion?
What was the difference between that and the German occupation of the Rhineland?

No in fact in most of the world you can't. I have a very rich Dutch neighbor who actually bought property here but he can't stay more than 6 months at a time. Note I said he "bought" it. He didn't just come in, kick out the current resident and build a "settlement"

Slavery was still legal when we stole the land from the indians too.
I guess we have advanced a little from European colonialism, everywhere except Palestine.

Perhaps you need to learn a little more about the Calusa They were abducted and enslaved by Creek and Yamasee indians in the 18th century and eventually wiped out by the Seminoles
trader_4 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irgun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haganah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehi_%28group%29
Irgun was considered to be a terrorist organization in its day; the Stern Gang was its militant offshoot.
On Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:06:43 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

I don't disagree with that. What I disagree with is the premise that most of the Jews who emigrated from Europe to what would become Israel were an invading and conquering army. The overwhelming majority of them came peacefully, most of those fleeing pogroms, discrimination, wwar. Prior to the founding of Israel, there were what could be called terrorists on both sides. But in my lifetime, there has only been terrorism on one side, and it's not Israel. Terrorism seems to be the trendy thing for muslim extremists in more and more countries. Do you see that happening much anywhere else? Why do you think that is and do you think it's any more possible for Israel to arrive at some reasonable solution, than it is for the USA to arrive at some solution with Al Qaeda? ISIL, etc?
trader_4 wrote:

Begin was Irgun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irgun_attacks
While he wasn't personally at Deir Yassin it was his group that carried out the massacre.
If you steal someone else's land then anything goes. You can call it terrorism, genocide, racism, whatever you want. It does not change reality. If someone stole my land I would gladly kill them and I would no give a flying **** whether you agreed with it or not.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 07:24:42 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

trader_4 wrote:

The various flavors of the IRA seldom had a lot of active members, but they kept the Brits hopping. Do you think most Catholics or Muslims are terrorists?

Israel achieved statehood and the terror organizations were incorporated into the IDF. What was that unsuccessful excursion to Lebanon all about? Or bulldozing Palestinian villages that are int the way of Jewish settlers? Countries with ogranizaed militaries don't define themselves as terrorism; they call in 'shock and awe'.

See above.