OT: OT: Another oil leak in the Gulf.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many of these well heads are in the Gulf and why aren't they protected by buoys, lights, or other visible structures to prevent this? http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/following-boat-crash-another-leak-in-the-gulf-of-mexico/19570495 or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/292xgyk
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I don't know how many, but perhaps tens of thousands? Some well heads date back to the 1940's (no cite for this comment).

Don't know if a well head is the same as a platform-- but this 2007 map by NOAA shows nearly 4000 *active* platforms.
And look at how many of them are deeper than the Horizon- http://thes.wordpress.com/2010/06/10/gulf-of-mexico-oil-rigs / [the deepest, according to Wikipedia is nearly 8000feet]
Jim

There probably are. I'm sure this sort of thing happens fairly often that we don't hear about. Were it not for the BP mess you likely wouldn't have heard about this one either.

willshak wrote:

Hell, tugs and barges and other floating things run into stationary big things like bridges and they're pretty well marked. "Stuff happens..."