OT: online eyeglasses

I think it was in this group where someone had posted a link to a place where you could buy eyeglasses online for a very inexpensive price... I'd thought about buying some, dug out my old prescription, and found that the optometrist had not given me my complete prescription (that is, some information that the web site was asking for was missing.) My old glasses are finally too far gone to keep wearing (the anti-scratch coating on the lenses is flaking off - yes, I've managed to keep a pair of glasses without breaking them for... hmmm... close to 10 years now!) so I have an appointment later this week to get fitted for some new ones. I'd like to buy a pair or two extra to keep around in case of emergencies... and now I find that I neglected to bookmark the site. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?
thanks
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

www.globaleyeglasses.com
I bought a pair of lightweight prescription bifocal shades from them for about $70 and am very happy with the purchase and will go back for more.
I also modified the bifocal prescription so I could focus on the computer screen at 28 inches instead of 16.
You will be pleased.

http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

Andy wrote:

Thanks guys! that was fast!
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Make sure you ask your doctor to write the PD (pupilary distance) on your prescription. This is the center to center distance between your pupils. You will need it to order from Zenni (or anywhere) and normally it is measured by the optician. But your eye doctor can do it for you too. You can measure it yourself in a mirror, but it's better to get it from the doc.
I paid < $100 for my pair from zenni, including shipping. They are progressive bifocals, high index lenses, with spring temple frames, anti-scratch and UV coated. They are the nicest glasses I've had in a long time. Last time I got glasses from one of the big chains they were over $500 for the equivalent. Took about 10 days to arrive after order.
Also, I noticed the latest readers digest has an article on finding good deals on stuff, and one of the items they include is online eyeglasses. They mention several other firms besides zenni, but I can only vouch for zenni.
Paul F.
Paul Franklin wrote:

I'll give 'em a try, thanks. I don't have any special instructions - I'm simply nearsighted, no astigmatism, don't need bifocals, etc. so hopefully I can get a decent-ish pair for even less than that. Really just want something that I don't mind beating up for garage work, etc. although if they look good enough to wear in public that's a bonus. I don't feel wasteful buying extra glasses as the last time I bought a new pair of sunglasses my prescription hadn't changed from the one I had in 1998.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
You're a perfect candidate for Zenni, then. Simple prescription, same as last time.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have a script for bifocal computer glasses but have yet to order. Only thing I don't have is pupular distance but I could measure that. Did you have any trouble fitting glasses after you got them? I'm concerned about nose bridge and around ears.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 04:21:50 -0700 (PDT), Frank
<snip re: online eyeglasses>

It takes a little fussing around. I started by adjusting them to be as close as I could get to a pair that fit me well. It took a few tweaks after that to get them perfect. They really weren't too bad right out of the box. I do think zenni should include some tips for fitting them properly. Here's a few things I figured out:
The first thing to do is to have someone look at you from the side and make sure the lenses are close to vertical when your head is straight and not tilted. To correct this you have to carefully adjust the angle of the ear pieces with respect to the front frame. I did not have to alter this.
If the frames have plastic ear pieces, run very hot water over them before bending them to soften them slightly.
You adjust the nose pieces (on wire frames) for comfort but also to raise or lower the lenses with respect to the center of your eyes. Adjust the nose pieces so your eyes are roughly centered or a little towards the top for single vision lenses. With bifocals or progressives, you may want the center of your eyes a little bit higher. May call for some experimentation. You can adjust both the angle of the nose pieces and the distance between them to achieve a comfortable fit and the proper height.
It's easier than it sounds. Just takes some patience. And to tell you the truth, I always ended fiddling with glasses a little even after being fitted by an optician, because you have to wear them for a while before you can tell they are too tight/loose, etc., or at least I found that to be the case.
If all else fails, stop by an optician, tell them you didn't buy them there but ask if they can help you adjust them. Even if they charge you $20 (which they probably won't) you are far ahead.
Good luck,
Paul F.

Great article here: http://www.slate.com/id/2198746 /
Yes, that would be Zenni Optical. I ordered a couple pair of eye glasses, and very plesaed with the results.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Do any of these places do it where you can send a prescription along with existing frames to get lenses for them?
On Thu 23 Oct 2008 05:51:47p, Red Green told us...

I'm not saying no, but probabl not. Frame styles are generally discontinued within six months to a year after they've been introduced, which means the paterns for grinding the lenses are usually no longer available. Some opticians are willing to do this, but it requires a significant extra charge for them to create a new "blank" pattern to fit the lens opening. At cut rate prices of the online shops, it's unlikely.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

actually yes, although I'm waiting to see how that turns out. My old frames are perfectly serviceable albeit more than a little worn (after a decade of abuse) and I've had similar thoughts since they are proven and might still hold up better than the Zenni frames, for working in the garage etc.
http://groups.google.com/group/glassyeyes/browse_thread/thread/ad0c87f75de023f0
yes, I have been reading since this is suddenly a topic of interest to me.
nate
--
Ive been looking for good alternative eyeglasses on line. I think Zenni Optical is a good recommendation. I'll check this out. Thanks. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com